Options

Why do so many post on religious threads?

maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
Forum Member
I have.. noticed that threads about religion are always popular and ongoing....why?

We either believe or we don't believe and should leave it at that. Why do we feel the need to convince others? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have.. noticed that threads about religion are always popular and ongoing....why?

We either believe or we don't believe and should leave it at that. Why do we feel the need to convince others?
    :confused:

Try telling that to religious people.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people are asked why they believe or don't believe then they're going to answer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Cos religious types have to spread the word. Have you ever spent any time in the company of a God botherer? They'll subtly and not-so-subtly try and convince you to join them.
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because in real life you wouldn't be able to insult each other without getting a punch in the face ! :D

Or it could be that both sides are in absolute amazement that the other can't see the world as they do and so chew on trying to get to grips with it.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because a lot of people are interested in this kind of issue. It's intrinsic to human nature to ask questions about why we are here.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good question, 99% of posters on DS are confirmed atheists so I cannot work out whether its just sport to ridicule people of faith or whether their is a curiosity and an underlying doubt .
    As a believer I would never , or seldom drag my faith through the mire of DS. It just ain't up there for debate or ridicule .

Anyhoo it entertains some so good luck.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cribside wrote: »
    Cos religious types have to spread the word. Have you ever spent any time in the company of a God botherer? They'll subtly and not-so-subtly try and convince you to join them.

To be fair, some seek every opportunity to make snide comments in the presence of 'God botherers'.

Thankfully, the majority on either side isn't that crass.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We either believe or we don't believe and should leave it at that. Why do we feel the need to convince others? :confused:

Presumably because it's one of those subjects where if you are firmly on one side of the fence, it's pretty difficult to see the other side and so makes an easy subject to argue over.

Having said that, I'm firmly on one side of the fence and discussion about religion bores me too. Probably because really once both sides have said their bit, there's nothing else to say. No one is going to start or stop being religious because of posts on the internet.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought they were more to have a go at Christianity by the militant athiests.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

Perhaps if you ask why you have felt the need to discuss this it might give you a clue as to why people decide to discuss these other things.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    Said it before on here but there should be a separate forum for religion.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because religion is an awful thing that has discriminated against and oppressed many groups of people. It infuriates people and rightfully so.

For me personally I am astounded that any intellectual being can believe in such nonsense, so when I see a religion thread I like to pop in and ridicule or laugh at them.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have.. noticed that threads about religion are always popular and ongoing....why?:

Because the anti-religious feel the need to remind everyone over and over and over again how much they dislike religion. Because we really didn't get it the first twenty times.
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Said it before on here but there should be a separate forum for religion.

If they can find justification for a sub-forum for Netflix, a separate forum for religious threads should be a no-brainer, but it won't ever happen unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

I find on here there are more threads started by people questioning/mocking others beliefs, more so than there are religious threads trying to "convert" people... in fact on my time here Ive seen none of the latter
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member

God knows :blush:
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member

Have you read the religion threads on here? It's more atheists than anyone else commenting.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    AaronWx wrote: »
    Because religion is an awful thing that has discriminated against and oppressed many groups of people. It infuriates people and rightfully so.

For me personally I am astounded that any intellectual being can believe in such nonsense, so when I see a religion thread I like to pop in and ridicule or laugh at them.

It's not religion that has done this though.....it's people who do it in the name of religion. If there was no religion people would find something else to separate and fight over, it's a sad fact of human nature.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Because a lot of people are interested in this kind of issue. It's intrinsic to human nature to ask questions about why we are here.

There is no why. That's the cause of the issue.
    Those who have decided that there must be one will only find an answer in religion as there can't be one elsewhere.
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realise that this is an Internet forum, where people chat, discuss and debate with people who may not have the same viewpoints as themselves. Religion is something that many find emotive and have strong opinions about, so naturally it will be a popular subject. If a forum was full of people agreeing with each other, it would be a tad boring and pointless. Bit of a stupid question to be fair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    You do realise that this is an Internet forum, where people chat, discuss and debate with people who may not have the same viewpoints as themselves. Religion is something that many find emotive and have strong opinions about, so naturally it will be a popular subject. If a forum was full of people agreeing with each other, it would be a tad boring and pointless. Bit of a stupid question to be fair.

What a patronising post
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I find on here there are more threads started by people questioning/mocking others beliefs, more so than there are religious threads trying to "convert" people... in fact on my time here Ive seen none of the latter

Yes, you're probably right. I was referring more to real life than forums. Perhaps that should translate to the forums but again, it probably doesn't. People like a good barney and to mock and joke but hey, that's forums for you.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because I find some religious discussions interesting, engaging and rewarding.
    Why is it so hard to believe that other people have different interests to you?

Granted, some people are there for a bit of religion bashing whilst others there to preach, but there are also people who are there for some proper discussion.
  • Options
    Guts and GloryGuts and Glory Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a patronising post

I found the original post highly dismissive of those of us who enjoy debating with people with polar opinions.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the whole, anti-religious are much more vocal about their views and that extends the debates. They don't have much time for any views other than their own which is strange given they claim to be arguing in the name of freedom. Not all are like this as there are great exceptions who are able to articulate their views in a way that doesn't cause offence, that is concise, accurate, constructive and thought provoking. It's a shame they aren't in the majority. You're more likely to come across an aggressively anti-religious attitude and one that bleeds into being intolerance of those holding religious views. That's really bad.

Of course it takes two to tango so it requires people of both positions to prolong them.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    There is no why. That's the cause of the issue.
    Those who have decided that there must be one will only find an answer in religion as there can't be one elsewhere.

I agree that there is no why. Many people will persist in exploring it, though.

I don't necessarily agree that an answer would only be found in religion, though. Philosophers also look into this kind of thing, or at least they used to. Existentialists, etc...