The Great Painting Challenge 22 Feb

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is a real disappointment .

10 contestants , 3 challenges , so that's 30 paintings in 60 minutes . Then of course there's the endless cut-aways to the London skyline and people talking about what's gone wrong .

so very little of the actual paintings or their techniques .

• RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Awww, I liked Jan. At least he was a bit of a character. Most of the other contestants all blend into one.

Anthea's portrait of Pam/Pat was absolutely hilarious. :D

Wasn't it just. :p utterly charming. The girl's portrait of the man was very good. Much better without the blue background. which the female judge said she should have introduced.

Those judges suck all the joy out of these people who are trying to paint. I find them completely irrelevant.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Bluehat should have gone tonight. Her work was hideous.

Jan was a character but he really isn't much good at sketching or even painting. No wonder the police don't catch many criminals if they rely on artists like him. :D:D

The standard of work tonight was much better than last week.
    Richard Bacon as vacant as ever.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Awww, I liked Jan. At least he was a bit of a character. Most of the other contestants all blend into one.

Anthea's portrait of Pam/Pat was absolutely hilarious. :D

I do like how dry Anthea is, she wasn't in the least bit fazed that Pampat accused her of making her look 10 years older! :D

Enjoyed tonight's more than last week - my goodness you need raw courage for that show! It certainly highlighted the front runners. Jan went too soon; he was enjoying himself and improving. Besides, we needed his sunny personality to balance and thaw the icy blast of that dreadful woman!
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a hobby painter and member of a local amateur art club, and was looking forward to this but it's very disappointing. The judges are totally lacking in personality and the presenters are given hardly anything to do. The celebrity portrait section was a fiasco, with the only artist producing a recognisable image being thrown off the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it just. :p utterly charming. The girl's portrait of the man was very good. Much better without the blue background. which the female judge said she should have introduced.

Those judges suck all the joy out of these people who are trying to paint. I find them completely irrelevant.

If you want to see joy sucked out of people .... Try seeing what GCSE students have to do. My son was excellent at Art from a small child. he won numerous painting competitions. He chose to do Art GCSE because he just loved drawing and painting. He loved all the hands on practical stuff but he couldn't see the point of the written coursework with themes like "celebrations" and "religion". It wasn't that he wasn't academic because he was but he didn't enjoy ploughing through reference books when he could have been painting.

At the final exhibition of their coursework, I had countless parents and staff telling us how good his work was and how it was head and shoulders above the rest. He ended up with just a C grade because of his lack of effort with the written work yet he got As and A* for most other subjects. It is such a shame that kids aren't just allowed to paint and draw these days which is what most of them love.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jan's talents would be sketching a basic pen and ink mugshot using only the verbal recollections of a witness. Most sketches I've seen by police artists bore no resemblance to the eventual perp.
    Draughtsmanship, perspective and use of colour would be low on his talent scale, I thought he did rather well.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    If you want to see joy sucked out of people .... Try seeing what GCSE students have to do. My son was excellent at Art from a small child. he won numerous painting competitions. He chose to do Art GCSE because he just loved drawing and painting. He loved all the hands on practical stuff but he couldn't see the point of the written coursework with themes like "celebrations" and "religion". It wasn't that he wasn't academic because he was but he didn't enjoy ploughing through reference books when he could have been painting.

At the final exhibition of their coursework, I had countless parents and staff telling us how good his work was and how it was head and shoulders above the rest. He ended up with just a C grade because of his lack of effort with the written work yet he got As and A* for most other subjects. It is such a shame that kids aren't just allowed to paint and draw these days which is what most of them love.

This is very true. I'm sure I wrote more essays for Art than I did for English.

It's also why I always laugh when people sneer at those studying History of Art -- that subject is not the walk in the park that the media portrays it as!
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we didn't know already how tough portraiture is, I thought this was inadvertently demonstrated with the Royal portrait artist's painting of the Queen! Obviously a respected artist - I loved and thought she'd captured the spirit and fun of Harry and William well, but wasn't sure she'd got the Queen's face quite long enough. In my humble opinion of course! :blush: (Maybe that's why she had it and it wasn't on the wall at the Palace!) :p
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member

Ah, GCSE Art. They lure you in with talk of how relaxing it is at such a stressful time of your life. I was more stressed about Art than I was any other GCSE, not least because my teacher told me I was working at an E, days before the final exams... :o The workload seems tame now, of course, but at the time it was a nightmare. The trouble is, when trying to grade an art, it comes down to jumping through hoops rather than being unrestrictedly creative. Certainly a lot of my work wasn't as I would've liked, for it apparently wouldn't have adhered to the learning objectives.

There was a lot less of that at more advanced stages, which made it infinitely more enjoyable. Indeed I hope your son wasn't completely deterred.

But anyway, back on topic. I only saw the second half tonight - liked some of the celebrity portraits. The girl who fretted over the blue did particularly well, beautiful composition. I was pleased she had a go, and while I kinda liked the touch of blue she left, I agree with the comments that she probably should have gone all out with it. It would have made the subject warmer still.

Certainly didn't think Jan should have been booted out.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope your son wasn't put off from painting. I would imagine if he applied to an Art college they'd be more interested at look ing at his work than reading his written work. David Hockney wan't awarded a diploma from Art college because he didn't write an essay - they gave it to him in the end because he was famous.

Interesting programme on BBC 4 now. Arts Question Time.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stewartuu wrote: »
    Ah, GCSE Art. They lure you in with talk of how relaxing it is at such a stressful time of your life. I was more stressed about Art than I was any other GCSE, not least because my teacher told me I was working at an E, days before the final exams... The workload seems tame now, of course, but at the time it was a nightmare. The trouble is, when trying to grade artwork, it comes down to jumping through hoops rather than being unrestrictedly creative. Certainly a lot of my work was not as I would've liked it to be, instead pandering to the learning.
    I look Art at A level but had to drop it in the first year. The amount of home work you had to do was ridiculous. I felt like it was taking over my life at one point. I also hated the practical tasks we were forced to do. I remember we spent weeks on end creating a stupid box. Definitely not what I signed up for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope your son wasn't put off from painting. I would imagine if he applied to an Art college they'd be more interested at look ing at his work than reading his written work. David Hockney wan't awarded a diploma from Art college because he didn't write an essay - they gave it to him in the end because he was famous.

Sadly it did put him off but I often hope that he might get back into it later in life. He did degrees in Computer Science and also in Electronics so he didn't really have time to enjoy painting. From the minute he could hold a crayon he was hooked so we were very sad how GCSE Art worked out. It seems crazy that kids who really had no artistic talent but who completed the written stuff came out with the same grade.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly it did put him off but I often hope that he might get back into it later in life. He did degrees in Computer Science and also in Electronics so he didn't really have time to enjoy painting. From the minute he could hold a crayon he was hooked so we were very sad how GCSE Art worked out. It seems crazy that kids who really had no artistic talent but who completed the written stuff came out with the same grade.

I assume it is because they want it to be an academic course and therefore an understanding of the history of art and the explanation as to why the art is completed in they way it was is important. I don't think it is too much of a problem that they need to appreciate the influences on their painting rather than just showing the skill of being able to paint.

I also dont think it is crazy that someone who put equal effort in to the art and written work gained the same grade as someone who put little effort in to the written work but lots of effort in to the practical, seems perfectly fair to me. Perhaps those with little natural talent at the painting did a lot of really good written work to balance it out.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always told that a green background is best for portraits as it brings out the greenish tinge which most people have in their skin. Yes, it is there if you look hard enough!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Jan was stitched up! Obviously the show is edited before it's put out and they showed endless clips of him saying how he was a police portrait artist before they chucked him out after the portrait round! I saw that coming a mile off.

There is some talent in there but the programme is pants.
  • danishdancerdanishdancer Posts: 269
    Forum Member

Quite the opposite actually. I did a degree in Fine Art at an art college. We had to do many essays and presentations for Critical Studies and in relation to our practical projects. On practical projects, 75% of your marks related to your research, prep work, and written rationale. We also had to do various business studies style modules.

I wouldn't have it any other way, I've learnt skills that are essential for an artist other than making work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I'm not too sure I like the judges yet. Lachlan is far better than the female judge (whose name I have forgotten) but I didn't appreciate his 'telling off' of Claire for panicking over the blue in her painting - seemed like a normal, human reaction when she's in a competition and on a time limit.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only saw the last 15 minutes of this and have not seen it before. The judges seemed very unkind and I was surprised that Jan went as he didn't seem the worst to me. I only saw the portrait challenge though.
    This seemed much nastier than The Great British Sewing Bee, which I am a fan of, which has constructive criticism from the judges, camaraderie among the contestants and a lovely presenter in Claudia. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member

The historical and theoretical aspect of art is just as important as studio practice or 'art making'. Looking at and understanding art that came before and modern contemporary practices will make you a better artist, just as reading as many different authors as possible will make you a better writer.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Teachers can do a lot of damage. It took me years to recover from our Music teacher's method of going through a piece of classical music note by note and find that I could enjoy some classical music.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    I think I preferred Watercolour Challenge - simple formula, and the ever reassuring Hannah Gordon presenting it.

Better than deliberately eccentric Una Stubbs; doing-it-to-pay-the-mortgage Richard Bacon; skinnymalinks Lachlan; and patronising Daphne.
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I think I preferred Watercolour Challenge - simple formula, and the ever reassuring Hannah Gordon presenting it.

Better than deliberately eccentric Una Stubbs; doing-it-to-pay-the-mortgage Richard Bacon; skinnymalinks Lachlan; and patronising Daphne.

I agree - I miss Watercolour Challenge. Would be nice to see it come back, or at least some repeats of the old series.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I watched this. It was pretty good but the artists weren't as good as I thought they would need to be to get on the show.

I'll definitely watch again.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll watch it again but won't think that these are the "best amateur" artists there are.

I think Jan left because he didn't capture the essence in the portrait - no soul! His self-portrait was like a cartoon - and I said to my husband early on that the eyes were too close together.