All this snow.Will your next car be a 4x4?.

U96U96 Posts: 13,937
Forum Member
✭✭
Couldn't help but notice.Some days this week,only 4x4's were moving in my area.
I've never felt the need or requirement for a 4x4.Too big,too thirsty,not particularly cheap to run overall.Times are hard and money's tight.
But i couldn't help but admire how they were towing people out of snow bound estates,picking up people to go to work,cruising up hills where mere mortals feared to tread.
The drivers looked pretty smug and i don't blame them.:cool:
So.What's it to be?.Ford Focus or Land Rover Defender?(unstoppable).

Comments

• Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Pug 206 until january this year. My car really let me down in that snow. I need to be able to get my son to exams this coming january, he is in yr 11. Thy dont cancel the exams because of snow. And the buses & taxis weren't running back in january. So I traded my 206 in for a RAV4. So far so good. Even though it costs arms n legs to run :(
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 4x4 can get through snow, it can't get around ice.
  • iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    No, because a 4x4 is unnecessary for the majority of the UK even with the recent snow. Not to mention the fact that you still need to know how to drive in the snow anyway (the woman I saw crash her X5 into a Fiesta going round a roundabout obviously didn't realise this).
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a Pug 206 until january this year. My car really let me down in that snow. I need to be able to get my son to exams this coming january, he is in yr 11. Thy dont cancel the exams because of snow. And the buses & taxis weren't running back in january. So I traded my 206 in for a RAV4. So far so good. Even though it costs arms n legs to run :(

:) If i were to buy a 4x4.The latest shape Rav would be on my list.I think as 4x4's go.It's dead reliable and (relatively) inexpensive to run as 4x4's go.
    For a few days here,all that ventured out were Range/Land Rovers,Landcruisers,and the likes.
  • KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I've never felt the need or requirement for a 4x4.Too big,too thirsty,not particularly cheap to run overall.Times are hard and money's tight.
    But i couldn't help but admire how they were towing people out of snow bound estates,picking up people to go to work,cruising up hills where mere mortals feared to tread.

I couldn't sell my 4x4 if I wanted to now...no matter the snow, it's the Prius drivers who turn their noses up at me these days :(

U96, there's an old thread on here with your name all over it..thanks for the laughs :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member

This. I've just bought one and wouldn't trade it for any inadequacy mobile, however much it was worth.

Drivers of them may be smug, but I'm even smugger in knowing that they obviously have some sort of issue that they think buying such a car will compensate for.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I've got 2, neither of which is a horror show. For the tight of wad, or not significantly wealthy;) how about a Fiat Panda 4x4. Stunning snow performance, it's bad here, but the little car has not been stopped once. I have rescued several larger cars from ditches and banks too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) If i were to buy a 4x4.The latest shape Rav would be on my list.I think as 4x4's go.It's dead reliable and (relatively) inexpensive to run as 4x4's go.
    For a few days here,all that ventured out were Range/Land Rovers,Landcruisers,and the likes.

I love the new Rav4's, mine is only a 2003 one though unfortunately. Compared to the 206 it's thirsty! lol My insurance is quite a bit more too :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danleto wrote: »
    A 4x4 can get through snow, it can't get around ice.

:( It's the depth of the snow that has messed my week up.I reckon my car has taken a hell of a beating underneath.Lost count of the banging and grinding i've heard whilst stuck this week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. If the roads are icy, I just don't drive.

There are other ways to get around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    No. If the roads are icy, I just don't drive.

There are other ways to get around.

Yes, huskies & a sledge
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iannai wrote: »

:) Those are the ones you always see in American films.The farmers always have a John Deere baseball cap on as well.:cool:
  • CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it carries on like this year by year I'll just get snow tyres, a 4x4 would be like using a sledge hammer for watch making.

Also there are AWD cars that don't use 4-5 litre engines, from a panda to a subaru to a jag there are plenty of more economical options.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it carries on like this year by year I'll just get snow tyres, a 4x4 would be like using a sledge hammer for watch making.

Considering how many people seem to think one is necessary for an urban school run, overkill seems inevitable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sometimes doing things by halves is pointless
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering how many people seem to think one is necessary for an urban school run, overkill seems inevitable.

Unless you know where everyone lives that drives to school, you cant possibly know if they live 5 miles away or not, like moi does :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    No, because a 4x4 is unnecessary for the majority of the UK even with the recent snow. Not to mention the fact that you still need to know how to drive in the snow anyway (the woman I saw crash her X5 into a Fiesta going round a roundabout obviously didn't realise this).

:( I'm hoping the latest 4 week forecast in my area is wrong.They're saying there's loads more snow to come.
    I know it's very unusual to experience such prolonged and heavy dumps of snow.But huge swathes of the country have been bought to a virtual standstill for a week now.
    I've only owned my present car for about 18 months now.I don't think i'll be trading it in for at least a year.But a 4x4 will be on my radar for the first time after all of this nightmare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless you know where everyone lives that drives to school, you cant possibly know if they live 5 miles away or not, like moi does :D

If their journey actually involved an off-road element, their vehicles wouldn't be as shiny.

As for distance - 2WD cars can travel more than 5 miles, too, you know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( I'm hoping the latest 4 week forecast in my area is wrong.They're saying there's loads more snow to come.
    I know it's very unusual to experience such prolonged and heavy dumps of snow.But huge swathes of the country have been bought to a virtual standstill for a week now.
    I've only owned my present car for about 18 months now.I don't think i'll be trading it in for at least a year.But a 4x4 will be on my radar for the first time after all of this nightmare.

I think winter tyres might be a slightly more prudent purchase.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda wrote: »
    I couldn't sell my 4x4 if I wanted to now...no matter the snow, it's the Prius drivers who turn their noses up at me these days :(

U96, there's an old thread on here with your name all over it..thanks for the laughs :D

:D Evening my American friend.Hope you are well?.
    You might think of us Scots as a hardy bunch.But when it comes to 2 feet of snow in a few days we're not really prepared or used to it(unless you live in the Highlands).We usually see some snow around Jan/Feb.Even then it doesn't hang around for long.
    Prius?.No thanks!.Pug ugly as well.
    I can't think of a thread i done that was funny!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If their journey actually involved an off-road element, their vehicles wouldn't be as shiny.

As for distance - 2WD cars can travel more than 5 miles, too, you know.

lol yes I know ;) my 2wd lasted 5 yrs, but then we seemed to start getting this white stuff we hadn't had for yonks called snow & I panicked for my sons sake I guess! lol
    If it means the difference between not getting him to exams, which I wouldn't have done in january in the 2wd, it literally got stuck everywhere, & getting him there, even on one snow day, it will be worth the extra money to me. People bellyaching about it as they always seem to about 4x4's, pales into insignificance tbh :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...which I wouldn't have done in january in the 2wd....

Even with the appropriate tyres?
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Also there are AWD cars that don't use 4-5 litre engines, from a panda to a subaru to a jag there are plenty of more economical options.
    Yup!
    I wanted 4 wheel drive for my frequent camping trips - but had no need for a full-fat jeep-style vehicle, because I had no intention of doing any proper off-roading - just the occasional forest track, and some muddy fields.
    In the end I went for a Subaru Impreza estate - bags of room in the back, and by avoiding the boy-racer turbo models, I got a bit more ground clearance.
    The 4WD has been brilliant through these last two winters, and the rest of the time, on normal roads, it's pretty much the same as any other medium-sized 2-litre estate car.

As others have pointed out - 4WD isn't a licence to drive like an idiot in these conditions - but by driving sensibly, it's kept me moving when all around, people have been wheelspinning, and pushing on inclines and the little side-roads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    This. I've just bought one and wouldn't trade it for any inadequacy mobile, however much it was worth.

Drivers of them may be smug, but I'm even smugger in knowing that they obviously have some sort of issue that they think buying such a car will compensate for.

;)'SPS'?.(Small Penis Syndrome).
    I think if i lived in the country,or in an area with really bad weather,or i needed it to do my job i'd have one right now.
    But this last week if just felt helpless.My car has been totally hopeless in the snow.It has all the latest tech.But it has been as much use as a chocolate teapot!.