Options

What age did you start turning grey and do you dye your hair?

gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What age did you start turning grey and do you dye your hair?

I am 30 and starting to get grey hair and might have to start using just for men at some point in the near future. I'm not ready to go grey yet.

I didn't want to put this in fashion and beauty as it would get less replies.

Comments

• Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Men can do grey better than women. Silver foxes ;-)
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    In my early 30s I first noticed one or two grey temple hairs. Nowadays it's very much salt and pepper.

When I reached my 40s I experimented with covering it but it was too messy / too much hassle. Since my hair receded to a very noticeable degree, invariably I wear caps and hats in public so what's left of my hair isn't very much on show anyway.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that ever happens and its very noticeable I will go shaved.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Started to go noticeably grey in my mid-30s so started to dye my hair then.

I used to do it around every 3 weeks, in the days when I went out a lot, but now I am very wary of too many chemicals and only do it when the grey really shows up.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    44 and not got a grey hair yet
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    44 and not got a grey hair yet

I think women go grey at an older age than men my Mum is 55 this year and has only been dying her hair since she was 50 ish. I think grey hair comes with menopause in women
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    I think women go grey at an older age than men my Mum is 55 this year and has only been dying her hair since she was 50 ish. I think grey hair comes with menopause in women

No, I know lots of women who went grey very young, way before the menopause. Its not always obvious because many dye their hair just to change the colour rather than cover grey.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    52 and I don't use hair dye...I think the grey is beautiful.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member

My grey started, then went, then came back again because of treatment for a brain condition.

;-)

My grandmother did not show any signs of grey even in her 90's, no wrinkles either...all natural.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I'm 29 and I get a few grey hairs in my beard and literally one or two on my head. I have no intention of ever dying my hair. My dad is 50 and is going pretty grey now, so I assume I will end up like that too.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember. Just after 30, and no way was I going to dye it.

It's been mentioned to me before that going grey is OK for guys..and I would have to agree - no biggie in the least.

But that 'often'..(NOT ALWAYS..!!) it's something which women have a much harder time with.

I don't know if that's myth or truth. And if it is true, why it is.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No such luck here :( Started going grey at about 20 ..... 42 now and gave in to dying it last year.
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because my hair is so dark even the odd grey hair really showed up. I used to pull them out :o

Now if I didn't get the colour out, I would have a Mallen streak like Cruella in 1001 Dalmatians !!
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was 13 and I've never dyed it. I like it. Some young women are opting for greys and pastel shades these days.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in my early 30s when I first noticed grey hairs. I don't have that many but I do have a sprinkling of grey lol I do dye my hair, but I dye it the same as my natural colour just to cover the grey. My Dad's natural hair colour is black but he started going grey very young, he was in his 20s and has been a silver fox for a number of years now. I'm very glad I didn't take after him in that department!
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies it's amazing the difference in ages young to old you have stated. Yeah it is easier for men to start going grey women like my mum have a rough time of it needing their hair dyed every few weeks and several hours stuck in a hairdressers.

My grey isn't too bad and really noticeable yet but I don't think it will be long till I need to dye it. I don't want to look younger just well for my age as I am still single.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember. Just after 30, and no way was I going to dye it.

It's been mentioned to me before that going grey is OK for guys..and I would have to agree - no biggie in the least.

But that 'often'..(NOT ALWAYS..!!) it's something which women have a much harder time with.

I don't know if that's myth or truth. And if it is true, why it is.

BIB - fertility is the answer to your question.
    If a man starts showing some grey hairs it's not an issue for most women, you're just turning into an (equally attractive) silver fox, whereas a woman showing even a tiny bit of grey means they're finished as a baby-machine. Men don't notice them anymore.
    This happened to a friend of mine who started going grey in her mid-twenties. She was terrified. Happily married now, but still dying her hair.

It's just the way it is.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it accepted that women dye their hair but it's weird for a man to do it?
    I'm more white than grey and I'm happy with how it appears.
    I was quite impressed by Tom Jones going natural and I think he looks better for it.
    I think it's sad that "old rockers" are shackled by their need to maintain their "youth" with totally unnatural dyed barnets.
    Yet men expect women to disguise the natural onset of age.

I admire Emmylou Harris and Joan Baez :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my early 50s but it's still not bad even now. I wouldn't dye my hair.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB - fertility is the answer to your question.
    If a man starts showing some grey hairs it's not an issue for most women, you're just turning into an (equally attractive) silver fox, whereas a woman showing even a tiny bit of grey means they're finished as a baby-machine. Men don't notice them anymore.
    This happened to a friend of mine who started going grey in her mid-twenties. She was terrified. Happily married now, but still dying her hair.

It's just the way it is.

Almost wish I hadn't 'wondered. What a harsh way to judge ones self. It's like an attitude of 'well, now I'm worthless - may as well toss myself in the fire..I'm finished.'

I do hope that is the extreme exception to the norm.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    42 and going by my roots, completely white underneath the dye. My parents and I were all naturally dark haired and all started finding pure white strands around our late teens. I don't remember my parents having dark hair, the only evidence is in pictures.

I've been colouring for 20 years and it's a chore. My hair grows quickly and I have to do my roots every 2-3 weeks. I'm an auld goth so I don't want to go lighter but I'm not ready to be pure white just yet! :eek: So, so jealous of you who are just noticing the odd silver hair in their 30s and 40s! I could've handled gradually going grey now, in my 40s. But I was at that stage 20 years ago and am now pure white.

As for men? Love bald (providing they clip it in close and avoid the combover) and love a silver fox. How come men look attractive and distinguished but women just look older? :(
  • Options
    ScPDScPD Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    23 & grey... I was devastated.. No dye used... Ever

But I can't complain my cousin was bald by 25
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    23. Nearly 26 now and can count over a dozen grey hairs. Dread to think what I'll be like by 30.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I started going grey in my early 50's, but I'm not honestly sure. I do recall finding the odd grey hair before that, but, because I was fair-haired anyway, a grey hair turning up didn't really show so it never bothered me.

I'm still half and half, and I've never dyed my hair so I don't intend to start now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    42 and going by my roots, completely white underneath the dye. My parents and I were all naturally dark haired and all started finding pure white strands around our late teens. I don't remember my parents having dark hair, the only evidence is in pictures.

I've been colouring for 20 years and it's a chore. My hair grows quickly and I have to do my roots every 2-3 weeks. I'm an auld goth so I don't want to go lighter but I'm not ready to be pure white just yet! :eek: So, so jealous of you who are just noticing the odd silver hair in their 30s and 40s! I could've handled gradually going grey now, in my 40s. But I was at that stage 20 years ago and am now pure white.

As for men? Love bald (providing they clip it in close and avoid the combover) and love a silver fox. How come men look attractive and distinguished but women just look older? :(

My wife stopped dyeing her hair last year. She has been blondish for more years than I can remember but is now going grey.

She is 63 and looks no different with grey/silver hair.