The Tennis Thread (Part 29)

Comments

• Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    And she's into the main draw. Plays Jarmila Gajdosova.

Let's hope Naomi builds on this.

It's pretty damning that Tim and Andy are the only British players in recent times who have fought their way up through regular tour matches to make top 10 (with due respect to Greg).

I think Heather and Laura are capable of doing it, though they've been unlucky with injuries. Naomi, Jo, Kyle, James and others need to do the same.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Sadly, not at all. He played pretty well in the semis but again seemed to lose confidence in the second set and went from serving for the match at 5-4 to winning in the tie-break.

His serve was seriously under-par the whole week albeit as I mentioned he apparenty is recovering from a shoulder injury and said he hadn't been able to practise serving in training.

He still seems to lack confidence and make far too many UEs. There were flashes of the old Rafa during the week eg with his forehand working more than earlier in the year. But given that he was the only top 20 player in the draw, it's hard to get too excited.

I think if he'd have lost it would have really been a disaster for him and really knocked his already fragile confidence. However the win hasn't really revealed a great deal except that Fabio has a potty mouth....which in all honestly even us non-Italian speaers could have guessed!:D

What a depressing analysis. :(
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »

Not necessarily! You have to focus on the positives. Rafa did win the tournament, he did win the final in straight sets, even though he wobbled. There were flashes of the old Rafa, especially in the semi-final. He needs a confidence boast, hopefully this win wIll put him back on track.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lola14 wrote: »
    Not necessarily! You have to focus on the positives. Rafa did win the tournament, he did win the final in straight sets, even though he wobbled. There were flashes of the old Rafa, especially in the semi-final. He needs a confidence boast, hopefully this win wIll put him back on track.

We'll know soon enough in the US series. Where's Rafa due to play next?
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »

Sorry Shappy. I was just answering the question. I was delighted he won and agree with Lola about the positives. But he just needs to keep winning to gain confidence. He has never had a game-changing serve (except briefly at the US in 2010) so if his shoulder injury heals he just needs to become more solid with it again.
    lola14 wrote: »

I agree Lola. As the wise 80s philosopher Yazz said, 'The Only Way Is Up'!:D:D:D
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldish news, but all three Brits lost in the first round of Washington qualies (Liam Broady, Edmund, Wardy). Liam's was especially painful. >:(

Now, onto today. Bedene lost in Kitzbuhel this arvo to Novak. Not that Novak...this guy is Dennis Novak, a local WC. Ali-ash was a set and a break up, but faded while DN grew in confidence.

Hev is playing in Washington in a couple of hours. Muzza is playing a doubles at 2am our time.
    cas116 wrote: »
    The shadows on the court at the Hamburg final are a bit distracting - I suspect it's not as bad for the players at ground level but they are distracting me!

You know, if it wasn't for all his histrionics and bad behaviour, Fognini would be one of my favourite players - I really love his playing style, he just seems such a natural, especially on clay. I don't mind the odd hissy fit or argument - lets be honest, it can make things more interesting, but he has gone too far too often.
    The Hamburg shadow got nothin' on the Halle one. The Halle one does my head in. Madrid is a nightmare before noon.

Agree with Fog, he is really watchable on clay. Moves like silk, has just about every shot in the locker. Top 5 on the surface (when he cares).
    GoinGaga wrote: »
    Saw Dominic Thiem win in Gstaad earlier. Really like this player. Lots of talent (if still a bit raw) and he's kind of funky too with his bleach blond hair (and apparently he's quite a character off court) :) He seemed really lovely from the bit I saw of him during the award ceremony as well. Hope he continues his rise as I think he's great for the game.
    dazc wrote: »
    wow thiem has now won 3 titles this year 2 in a row looks a very good player
    Nice that people are now getting behind Thiem. The heir to Stan :p

I wasn't keen on the hair initially, but it seems to be a lucky charm now so he might as well go with it.

He seems well grounded. I recommend
    Dom's FB

Let's hope Naomi builds on this.

It's pretty damning that Tim and Andy are the only British players in recent times who have fought their way up through regular tour matches to make top 10 (with due respect to Greg).

I think Heather and Laura are capable of doing it, though they've been unlucky with injuries. Naomi, Jo, Kyle, James and others need to do the same.
    There are a few reasons why it's just Tim and Andy who've ascended the mountain. Many of them have had the talent, but have been found wanting in terms of application or character. Then there are others who just weren't good enough and their games had glaring weaknesses.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this has been truly appalling from Heather.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really hope someone steps up and challenges Serena this US Open series. Not necessarily beat her, but at the very least make her work for the title in New York. The whole thing just has a great feeling of inevitability about it right now.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Well this has been truly appalling from Heather.

And it's only getting worse. :(
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    And it's only getting worse. :(

Yeah the first set was Steffi Graf reincarnated in her prime compared to the second set:(
  • lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Lola. As the wise 80s philosopher Yazz said, 'The Only Way Is Up'!:D:D:D

Lol I love that song! I'd like to think it won't get any worse, but I'm not to sure! Channelling positive thoughts, to Rafa and all his fans:)
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    For those interested; ESPN in the states have dropped The French Open.

Well some do say tennis is dead in America. Once Serena retires, it won't be pretty.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shockingly bad result for Heather Watson in Washington, where is the Heather we saw at Wimbledon?
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well some do say tennis is dead in America. Once Serena retires, it won't be pretty.

Well they do still have John Isner :kitty:
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member

Not sure his "home slam" cares for him too much, they might chant the name of his opponent instead!
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really hope someone steps up and challenges Serena this US Open series. Not necessarily beat her, but at the very least make her work for the title in New York. The whole thing just has a great feeling of inevitability about it right now.
    There aren't that many candidates that spring to mind. Serena's main obstacle to completing the CYGS is herself...she has succumbed to home pressure before, and it could well happen again.
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Shockingly bad result for Heather Watson in Washington, where is the Heather we saw at Wimbledon?
    Hev still seemed to be in holiday mode. Has she been hitting the practice courts after Wimby? Perhaps not...

Hev needs to motivate herself outside the slams if she wants to crack the top 20. Too many first round losses.

Apparently ESPN were waiting for NBC's FO contract to expire, so they would then have exclusive rights. However, that was renewed...so ESPN opted to exit stage left.

US tennis coverage has long been a mess, with many other sports having priority and some networks not showing live matches. It puts our moans about Castle and Inverdale into perspective somewhat. :p

A strong generation of American men's tennis would help immensely. Jack Sock will hold the fort for a few years, but then Tiafoe, Paul, Fritz, Donaldson, Mmoh need to step up to the plate.
    Still prefer watching him to Raobot.
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oi.>:(>:( Don't diss my John-Boy,:D

I was looking at the seeds for Washington on the ATP site. Ive never seen such a rogue's gallery. I won't name names but a couple of the players look like serial killers. Typically Dimtrov kinda gets away with it but only just.:D
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Oi.>:(>:( Don't diss my John-Boy,:D

I was looking at the seeds for Washington on the ATP site. Ive never seen such a rogue's gallery. I won't name names but a couple of the players look like serial killers. Typically Dimtrov kinda gets away with it but only just.:D

The players look so miserable in those official shots, particularly Isner & Sock (there, I've named names).
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member
    How does Heather go from that performance at Wimbledon in taking Serena all the way (I appreciate she didn't win) to losing in that manner? The inconsistency is shocking; she's so much better than that *sigh*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Naomi Broady a set down.
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Naomi Broady a set down.

Mini break up in the third set tiebreak when the rain started.

Ticket prices for Washington are reasonable , it's a shame it seems to be badly attended.
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    Naomi won. 19 aces in the match.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fabulous result for Naomi. Her first main draw win in a WTA event outside the UK, and from match point down in the tie break.

And that will lift her into the top 200.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KDK defeats Lisicki!!!!!!
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great wins for Naomi & Kimiko Stateside.
This discussion has been closed.