KidsTv you refused to let your child watch??

.Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone ever refused to let their child watch a kids TV show??
My daughter was born in the 80s..around 84 ish was a show with a puppet type "thing" called Pob. I think that is the only show I refused to let her watch.
When Pob counted...1...2 ..3 etc,,,9 then "1ty" 1ty one..1ty two...twenty was 2ty..etc!!!!

http://www.classickidstv.co.uk/wiki/Pob's_Programme

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We weren't allowed to watch Grange Hill.

Didn't see it until it was repeated years later.

:eek:
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to try my very best to stop my teenage daughter watch ANY of the American rubbish on, especially the one where the spoilt would present their doting parents with a list of birthday requirements...awful...:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Barney the frickin' purple dinosaur with the kids on prozac accompanying him.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never let my daughter watch the Teletubbies, awful programme!
  • RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barney the frickin' purple dinosaur with the kids on prozac accompanying him.

That programme is horrific. It should illegal to even have it on in the background.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I banned Horrid Henry in our house, it actually caused behavioural problems with my son.
  • BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont have children but my parents never allowed me to watch captain pugwash! i can see why... :D
  • big_satsumabig_satsuma Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    JG600 wrote: »

My mum banned us from watching it too.

She didn't want us talking like they did :eek:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Used to try my very best to stop my teenage daughter watch ANY of the American rubbish on, especially the one where the spoilt would present their doting parents with a list of birthday requirements...awful...:(

That would be My Super Sweet 16
  • dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    Never had kids, so can't be that specific.
    I detest censorship, though, so would therefore have to say ... nothing at all.

:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    I never let my daughter watch the Teletubbies, awful programme!

Good call! If I had kids I wouldn't want them watching anything which encouraged baby-talk while they were supposed to be in the most vital stages of learning speech!
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't allow my daughter to watch Tweenies or Teletubbies. I watched one episode with her once when she was young, and I thought it was rubbish. We used to watch Countdown and daughter would make two or three letter words and I thought this was more educational.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't allow my daughter to watch Tweenies or Teletubbies. I watched one episode with her once when she was young, and I thought it was rubbish. We used to watch Countdown and daughter would make two or three letter words and I thought this was more educational.

I used to watch Countdown with my grandparents and was also able to make short words during the word games while I was in primary school. Never got to grips with the maths, though. :o
  • telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my children are adults now and I don't remember stopping then from watching anything when they were little but I hated them watching the adverts on sat morning tv (all toys ) :mad: :mad:
    as the got older I hated them watching the simpsons but I watched it with them rather than them disappear and watch at their pals .
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    I used to watch Countdown with my grandparents and was also able to make short words during the word games while I was in primary school. Never got to grips with the maths, though. :o

Nor could my daughter, but it did help her to learn her times-table quicker.
  • PerkyPerkinsPerkyPerkins Posts: 268
    Forum Member

Neither was I! I used to sneakily watch it with the sound turned down, so if I heard someone coming I could hurriedly turn it over to whatever was on ITV. :D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »

I watched it as well. I wasn't any good with the maths either.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunnyfoo wrote: »
    I dont have children but my parents never allowed me to watch captain pugwash! i can see why... :D

Why!?:confused: It wasn't that old chestnut about the characters having rude names, was it? There weren't actually characters called 'Master Bates' and 'Seaman Staines,' were there!?
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with censorship and was always allowed to watch what I wanted when I was a kid so if it was billed as a kids show my kids were allowed to see it.

I did try and advise my daughter to watch less of the US crap on the kids channels but she lapped it up.

They realise the error of their ways eventually
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it as well. I wasn't any good with the maths either.

I managed to do the sum once, within the time, when neither contestant nor even Carol was able to do it. Even doing it half a dozen times on paper afterwards, I was definitely right :D

I wasn't 'banned' from anything as such although I remember my mother wasn't too keen on me watching Behind The Bike Sheds when I was about 6 or 7. My older brother was however banned from Grange Hill - he had behavioural problems, and mum didn't think it would help. I used to relish running to 'tell on him' when he would sneak upstairs to watch it :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They realise the error of their ways eventually

Don't be so sure. :D I'm 27 and one of my guilty pleasures is watching shows with Paris Hilton in them. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP that some small children's programmes do not help with education.

My three year old granddaughter still loves Waybaloo.
    However it is annoying that having learned to say the word butterfly when she was only two she now calls them narabugs in pictures when reading her other story books.
    It is also annoying that Waybaloo shows tomatoes growing on trees.

Also Peppa Pig should wear a seatbelt when in her daddy's car.
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Snap I was banned from watching Grange Hill too until I got old enough to decide what to watch for myself :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I was always allowed to watch what I wanted, but as we don't have a TV now I have kids they only watch what DVDs I supply (not many, my 6 year old is obsessed with documentaries like the Blue Planet and Planet Earth and a few films, my 4 year old isn't really fussed). They've got friends that are into Ben10, Spiderman etc and they refuse to watch them at their houses, it goes straight over their heads - they're convinced that if it's a cartoon it's not 'real' so it's a waste of time.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    have to say I always let my kids watch whatever kids show they liked to watch..from the one born in the 80s who watched sesame street all the time (if I remember it was on channel 4) to the ones born in the 90s that got to watch the cartoons on sky..bugs bunny and the pink panther being the favs...they were kids that were never into teletubbies or blue peter and grew up watching the simpsons which has never done them any harm..I have to buy my now 17 year old son a simpsons boxset every christmas