Options

Robocop Remake (merged)

Comments

• Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That puppet they used looked fine, apart from those really long arms! You thought they would have digitally corrected that or something!
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I had the Region 1 (US) DVD of the Director's Cut, and the Region B (UK) Blu-ray of the theatrical cut.

I got the newly remastered Blu-ray of the Director's Cut from Amazon UK when it came out a couple of weeks ago. Watched it last weekend... It looks so much better than my original Blu-ray! The only bit that's still a bit ropey is the bit when Dick Jones falls to his death, because of the SFX used at the time.

It also has loads of extras on it, unlike the first UK Blu-ray release.

Now will they re-isssue the box set with the naff sequels but including the remastered original? I've held off buying the box set as the original film was a notoriously sub-standard transfer.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Its not surprising ED-209 looks like a stop motion model in the original - because it was a model animated with stop motion :D
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounding pretty much as I expected personally, great effects and not much else. will probably be completely forgotton very soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »

That one negative review (from a person, not an actual company people use to form opinions on their movie going choices) is certainly not representative of the majority of reviews so far that either give it mixed but overly positive reviews, or say it is very good.

I don't care what people / reviews say anyway, I'll be there Friday (ticket already booked) to see it myself. :)

I think you need to take off those rose tinted glasses, this is Robocop for kiddies and looks a flat as the Total Recal remake. Good for you for forming your own opinion but personally I don't need to waste money seeing this to know I won't like it. It's just another unimaginive, generic, watered down12A action movie that Hollywood likes or churn out these days.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was just on Film 2014 and got reviewed like Murphy in the steel mill
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Absolutely savaged on Film 2014 and I couldn't disagree with anything they said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they are comparing it to the original. A fair thing to do if it was a remake, but it isn't, it's a reboot. The film makers intentionally want something different to the original.

Funny how everyone who has reviewed it and compared it to the original has given it a bad rating, but so many film sites and bloggers who (quite rightly) have treated it as it's own film and based their reviews solely on it's own merits have mostly given it very good reviews. It seems some people don't understand the concept of a reboot, or are just so negative that they won't see past anything other than the lower rating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    I think you need to take off those rose tinted glasses, this is Robocop for kiddies and looks a flat as the Total Recal remake. Good for you for forming your own opinion but personally I don't need to waste money seeing this to know I won't like it. It's just another unimaginive, generic, watered down12A action movie that Hollywood likes or churn out these days.
    Because they are comparing it to the original. A fair thing to do if it was a remake, but it isn't, it's a reboot. The film makers intentionally want something different to the original.

Funny how everyone who has reviewed it and compared it to the original has given it a bad rating, but so many film sites and bloggers who (quite rightly) have treated it as it's own film and based their reviews solely on it's own merits have mostly given it very good reviews. It seems some people don't understand the concept of a reboot, or are just so negative that they won't see past anything other than the lower rating.

Yes but if you're going to reboot it at least try and make it as good. Side by side I can't think of any reboots that are better films than the original apart from Nolan's Batman. If you have seen and enjoyed the original then it's impossible to put that to one side and pretend it never happened, so of course people will compare it.

Film 2014 hated it, Empire didn't like it and I'm pretty sure Kermode will have the same opinion so that's all I need to know. Cinema going is expensive so I chose my films very carefully, more people should do the same and maybe one day the studios will stop churning out this generic garbage for the masses.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empire give it two stars, but as the 'review' itself talks more about the original, it's near impossible to draw any conclusion about the quality of the new film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but if you're going to reboot it at least try and make it as good. Side by side I can't think of any reboots that are better films than the original apart from Nolan's Batman. If you have seen and enjoyed the original then it's impossible to put that to one side and pretend it never happened, so of course people will compare it.

Film 2014 hated it, Empire didn't like it and I'm pretty sure Kermode will have the same opinion so that's all I need to know. Cinema going is expensive so I chose my films very carefully, more people should do the same and maybe one day the studios will stop churning out this generic garbage for the masses.
    But a so-called professional critic should be able to do just that, and watch and judge a film on its own merits, not on how it stacks up to the original. It's fine to hate a film if you can objectively state why it's crap because the acting's poor, CGI is terrible, the script is cliched etc etc, but to say it's crap because this scene or that dialogue used in the original hasn't been used, or perhaps not as effectively, isn't good enough from a critic. Empire's review could easily have been written by someone who hasn't even seen the film and has just trawled the web to get a rough idea what it's like.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only it's not a remake. It's a reboot.

Wow! You bought that line of BS for a dollar dintcha?
    This reboot focuses on things of our current time such as drones and automated war. Two different films, and as I say, considering it is a reboot, not a remake, the themes from the original film will of course be missing.

Nope. As the Film 2014 and DS review makes abundantly clear they jettison these aspects as soon as the opening sequence is over. Even Winklebot said she fell asleep in it!
    I don't care what people / reviews say anyway......

Then you`re in the minority.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Now will they re-isssue the box set with the naff sequels....

Second one is pretty good, ropey early CGI aside. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the third or subsequent TV and cartoon series.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ^ there was a cartoon series? Dear Lord - just how watered-down was it?

Wonder if it was as bad as the Rambo cartoon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Down to PG level. It's actually not that bad, as 80's cartoons go. No better or worse than other 'fantasy' cartoons such as, say, D & D, Thundercats or Battle Of The Planets. It was obviously aimed at kids who shouldn't have seen the film (but almost certainly did), rather than their parents who may have, so you can't compare it to the film. There was also a TV series, which was basically a live action version of the cartoon in terms of content. It may interest you to know that there's also a Starship Troopers cartoon. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure if we can blame the director for this disappointing reboot, i'm guessing it's down to a bad script and studios piling on the pressure for that golden 12A cert. I mean how much can you do with this material when you are restricted to keeping it child friendly.

I do find the current state of these remakes/reboots quite depressing. I think we all knew it was going to turn out this way but sometimes you live in hope that someone will have the balls to make a film of this genre without pandering to the kids market. I'm not saying every remake needs to be excessively violent, but at least introduce some more adult themes and darkness that this type of story require. All we get now are great visuals and sfx, but it's like watching a video game without any real threat or menace thus stripping the life out of any of the original ideas these films presented.

It's time to start voting with your feet. I for one hope this film flops, but I know the movie going lemmings will still flock to it in their droves pushing it straight to the top of the charts. I'd rather wait for The Raid 2 for my fix of adult action and leave this to the under 12s.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rambo cartoon? How on earth did they pull that off? No, scratch that. I'm finding the concept too funny to know any more than that.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Rambo cartoon? How on earth did they pull that off? No, scratch that. I'm finding the concept too funny to know any more than that.

Come on now, you know you want to enjoy ;)
    http://youtu.be/4pGhvjdAjHo

And just in case anyones intrigued then here's Robocop:The Man in the Iron Suit.
    http://youtu.be/qmtFsv8ZpCk
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Was the cartoon a better actor than Stallone?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Was the cartoon a better actor than Stallone?

Less two-dimensional, I believe.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if we can blame the director for this disappointing reboot, i'm guessing it's down to a bad script and studios piling on the pressure for that golden 12A cert. I mean how much can you do with this material when you are restricted to keeping it child friendly.

I do find the current state of these remakes/reboots quite depressing. I think we all knew it was going to turn out this way but sometimes you live in hope that someone will have the balls to make a film of this genre without pandering to the kids market. I'm not saying every remake needs to be excessively violent, but at least introduce some more adult themes and darkness that this type of story require. All we get now are great visuals and sfx, but it's like watching a video game without any real threat or menace thus stripping the life out of any of the original ideas these films presented.

It's time to start voting with your feet. I for one hope this film flops, but I know the movie going lemmings will still flock to it in their droves pushing it straight to the top of the charts. I'd rather wait for The Raid 2 for my fix of adult action and leave this to the under 12s.

you have a point about the certificate being an issue, it could never have the grit and violence of the original. saying that, I still think they could have made it more interesting even with the constraints it had. The cast was decent and the premise was there but they simply messed it up imo.

If they cant get away with going nuts with the violence then why not concentrate more on the story and other factors? the thing is, this 12 certificate thing isn't going to change, the big studios will always demand a mass audience. so film makers need to figure out how to still make a decent film with those constraints. the intention of violence can still be very effective, without the gore but there is no imagination. this film just sounds like unimaginative dross regardless of the cert rating. As for the film being popular now, don't worry it will be forgotten very quickly.
  • Options
    KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stop trying to defend it.

It's a steaming pile of cack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^

I’d have to agree. A reboot which follows the exact template of the original and does a worse job. How can you not compare? If you cant at least maintain the quality of the original then make a different film. Don’t complain about comparing two films called Robocop that are about the exact same premise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a spare hour and a half, you could spend it watching a quite funny and inventive group spoof of the 1987 movie. Some of the scenes are jokes and inspired!

http://www.ourrobocopremake.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Second one is pretty good, ropey early CGI aside. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the third or subsequent TV and cartoon series.

RoboCop 3 is the sole reason why i will never ever buy a boxset of the RoboCop films, it's an atrocious piece of bilge and i wont have it in my collection >:( Hopefully they release RoboCop 2 as a standalone Blu Ray soon, preferably a steelbook please!;-)