Options

Murdoch: "If Cameron doesn't win majority, he's for the chop"

BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
Forum Member
Ouch. Murdoch piling the pressure on Cameron with this Tweet:
@rupertmurdoch: UK. Failure to win majority against either Brown in crisis or Miliband would mean chop for Cameron. Open talk today in party and press.

Who would be your choice to replace him if it happens? I would say Boris but having seen his shambles of a performance on Marr this morning I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not even sure about May after her ridiculous comment about the SNP. Osbourne seems quite divisive too. Is anyone else in the running, do we know?

Comments

• Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree, but I have also heard that if the Labour SNP Green government is really unstable and an autumn election seems likely, they will keep him
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    There doesn't seem to be much love between these two!
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That goes without saying considering Cameron ruled out a third term, he can't campaign as Conservative leader in 5 years time and then suddenly quit.

Despite some controversy I'd stil say it would be May who gets the nod
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Penetrating insight from Rupes there. What a searing intellect. That and his charm, generosity of spirit and moral compass really makes him a Titan walking amongst us pygmies.
  • Options
    MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was his seat Prediction.

@Rupertmurdoch :UK. Likely approximate outcome, far from certain - Con 294 seats, Lab 265, SNP 48, LD. 25, odds 18. Everything still to tight for!
  • Options
    Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been clear for years now that that scum bag Murdoch is furious that Cameron failed to easily oust Brown in 2010 which in turn exposed his false reputation as "king maker" and it looks like it may happen again.

Murdoch is losing his grip.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cameron is the easy fall guy.
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh **** Murdoch. Hope he croaks soon.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I would agree, but I have also heard that if the Labour SNP Green government is really unstable and an autumn election seems likely, they will keep him

There won't be a Labour/SNP government. Miliband has ruled out any deals with the Scottish Nationalists and we must take him as a man of his word or call him a liar.

As for Cameron, I think he'll go if the Tories can't form a majority. I can't stand Boris Johnson, and his performance this morning was an embarrassment. But then I suspect, like Jeremy Clarkson, he'd be popular enough with certain sections of the UK.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    It's been clear for years now that that scum bag Murdoch is furious that Cameron failed to easily oust Brown in 2010 which in turn exposed his false reputation as "king maker" and it looks like it may happen again.

Murdoch is losing his grip.

It seems that the press ability to sway elections may be overestimated...
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »

Who would be your choice to replace him if it happens? I would say Boris but having seen his shambles of a performance on Marr this morning I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not even sure about May after her ridiculous comment about the SNP. Osbourne seems quite divisive too. Is anyone else in the running, do we know?

How could anyone be "in the running"? There is no vacancy.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I favour Theresa May as new leader.

She has the charm, the intellect and her own tin foil hat...

http://i.imgur.com/gzdvMyP.jpg
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    In all fairness, Cameron is the best person for the job.

He looks like a leader, acts like a leader, speaks like a leader and copes very well under pressure. He is relatively young, which is what the Conservatives need image-wise and experienced.

In my opinion, the reason the Tories didn't quite beat Gordon Brown and are struggling to beat Miliband is because the party itself (not the leader) has a very very bad reputation in the north of England and Scotland. The unpopular cuts to just about everything hasn't helped matters and the Tories will be blamed for them - not Labour who largely caused the problems in the first place.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    That is obvious.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk about stating the haemorrhagingly obvious :D
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't be Boris. The fact Miliband ran rings around him at the end of Marr shows he wouldn't be able to hack PMQs very well. Boris has zero experience in the house of commons. He is completely untested at the box. It has car crash written all over it.

I think Hunt and May will go for it.

The problem for the Tories is that Cameron is more popular than the party. So they do need to plan their next move carefully.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems that the press ability to sway elections may be overestimated...

I thought that was obvious when Murdoch only swung from Conservative to Labour in the 90s after they became truly unelectable, and back again in 2007-8 when Brown bottled it, didn't have that election, and became a lame duck prime minister hanging on until the last minute.

Personally I like it when people go on about Cameron as if he's BFFs with Murdoch and that Miliband wouldn't do such a thing (except when he's peddled the Sun)
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't Boris' tangled private life rule him out anyway? The mistresses, love child, abortion etc?
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There won't be a Labour/SNP government. Miliband has ruled out any deals with the Scottish Nationalists and we must take him as a man of his word or call him a liar.

As for Cameron, I think he'll go if the Tories can't form a majority. I can't stand Boris Johnson, and his performance this morning was an embarrassment. But then I suspect, like Jeremy Clarkson, he'd be popular enough with certain sections of the UK.

There will be no FORMAL Lab/SNP/Green coalition. That's obvious.

Boris is hopeless. The tories have no 'quality' in their ranks. No normal people...apart from Ruth Davidson. Whilst I disagree with her politics, she comes across as a decent, normal human being.
  • Options
    Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    In all fairness, Cameron is the best person for the job.

He looks like a leader, acts like a leader, speaks like a leader and copes very well under pressure. He is relatively young, which is what the Conservatives need image-wise and experienced.

In my opinion, the reason the Tories didn't quite beat Gordon Brown and are struggling to beat Miliband is because the party itself (not the leader) has a very very bad reputation in the north of England and Scotland. The unpopular cuts to just about everything hasn't helped matters and the Tories will be blamed for them - not Labour who largely caused the problems in the first place.

I disagree. It doesn't take long for the 'mister nice guy' mask to slip to reveal a not so 'mister nice guy'.

The terrible tories have a bad, bad reputation across the country. It goes across boundaries, regions and countries.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »

Whilst I think Murdoch is stating the obvious Why does he have a right to throw his weight around??
    Arrogant megalomaniac -piss off & stop thinking you own the UK!
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the Murdoch rags will continue to back the Tories and continue the attacks on Miliband if as it looks likely that Ed is going to be the next PM. They might feel the need to mend some broken bridges before it is too late
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Whilst I think Murdoch is stating the obvious Why does he have a right to throw his weight around??
    Arrogant megalomaniac -piss off & stop thinking you own the UK!

He really does think he's in charge, and he's kind-of right, with the vast influence he has through a large chunk of UK media. He's in fear of Labour getting in and forcing through anti-monopoly rules for the media, so desperate times call for desperate measures.

He possibly hopes that if there is a minority Labour government, there could be a vote of no confidence after a quick change of Tory leader, and before such legislation could be pushed through. It would be telling which other parties would risk supporting the move.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Wouldn't Boris' tangled private life rule him out anyway? The mistresses, love child, abortion etc?

It hasn't stopped him from being elected as London Mayor twice in a city that it predominantly Labour voting.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    I wonder if the Murdoch rags will continue to back the Tories and continue the attacks on Miliband if as it looks likely that Ed is going to be the next PM. They might feel the need to mend some broken bridges before it is too late

i can see the Murdoch press (and all right wing press) continuing their support the Tories because they will be very vocal in trying to get the right leader and once their poll ratings improve and the Government starts looking a bit shakey, there is a probabilty a no confidence motion could be brought upon the government. The right wing press will love that scenario. If they swing towards Labour, it will be only after Labour have won a majority.