Large screen TVS

Hi there, I am working on a report on the growth of large screen TVS for the national BBC News next week - and wondered whether you have a big TV (ie 50 inches or over) and might be willing to allow us to film at your home. We would like to talk to you about why you like big screen TVs so much.
We are doing a story in relation to the launch of Ultra hi-definition TVS.
You can contact me on my mobile on 07872412745 or email Bernadette.Kitterick@bbc.co.uk

Comments

• Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.M.G!! that better be a PAYG disposable phone because it's going to ring off the hook...ha ha ha
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Bernadette, first of all hello and welcome to DS! You will attract a much larger number of views and responses to your thread if you ask (the mods) for it to be reposted in the General Discussion (GD) forum, or start a new thread there perhaps with a more descriptive title that explains what you want.

This TV forum is mostly used by forum members (FMs) who are having problems or asking questions about their TVs, home entertainment equipment, cameras etc., and by members such as myself who are here to help them.

You can see on the main forums list page the number of posts each forum receives. I know it says that the GD forum is non-entertainment related discussion, but most FMs drop in to GD on a fairly regular basis I think.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I just seen the report but the bezel on that wall TV would really annoy me.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think I just seen the report but the bezel on that wall TV would really annoy me.

If you mean the borders from the fact they are using 6 screens to make up a big tv, then I agree.

I thought it was a good idea but it would be too distracting.

But I'd love a tv that big.
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean the borders from the fact they are using 6 screens to make up a big tv, then I agree.
    Exactly ...

I recall him saying

"Just look at the quality of the image..."
    But nothing about the elephant in the room - the black noughts and crosses board effect right across the screen
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly ...

I recall him saying

"Just look at the quality of the image..."
    But nothing about the elephant in the room - the black noughts and crosses board effect right across the screen

That's exactly what I was thinking. As if by not mentioning it, people can't see this drawback.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    I would be willing to take part
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    I would be willing to take part

You probably mean would have been willing... :D

I too cannot believe that they didn't mention the black lines, which would totally ruin the concept! And if they intended to say that in the final versions, it would be one huge screen of that size (with no black lines) they unaccountably didn't say so.

Also, with HD programmes, you wouldn't need to sit 15 feet away from an 84 inch screen as they said, 12 feet would probably be OK. And when genuine 4K broadcasts arrive, 8 to 10 feet but they didn't mention that either. Plenty of UK homes have a living room large enough to accommodate 12 feet (albeit a minority of homes, remembering that windows tend to get in the way!)

Without meaning to criticize the O/P, all in all, I wasn't overly impressed with the thrust or usefulness of the report, which may be down to the experts they used, or its brevity. A 10 minute segment in Click using genuine single screen large TVs is how this report should have been done, IMO.
    Forum Member
    I looked at Sonys 4K tv in Harrods.

Wasn't that impressed ??
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there, I am working on a report on the growth of large screen TVS for the national BBC News next week - and wondered whether you have a big TV (ie 50 inches or over) and might be willing to allow us to film at your home. We would like to talk to you about why you like big screen TVs so much.
    You can contact me on my mobile on .... or email

Posting youre personal details on the internet is never a good idea, im sure the BBC would advise against doing that :rolleyes:
    Wouldnt a works office number been better? or just a email so somebody can sort through them? hmm!
    all seems a bit iffy thats how the BBC works, just post on the internet for people to let strangers into there house.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    I looked at Sonys 4K tv in Harrods.

Wasn't that impressed ??

Not everyone will be.....However, Stores rarely show TV's of any resolution at their best.
    IMO if you see genuine 4K you can't help but notice the difference in clarity......and be impressed....:)
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Not everyone will be.....However, Stores rarely show TV's of any resolution at their best.
    IMO if you see genuine 4K you can't help but notice the difference in clarity......and be impressed....:)

My local John Lewis (Cheadle) has a Samsung OLED Tv on display, they are using a Samsung demo Bluray with everything, especially the sharpness, cranked up to max. It was very very bright and the curved screen was a novelty but it was unpleasant to watch, hopefully someone will tweak it but one member of staff there is always telling customers about how he likes Samsung's "punchy" pictures. I've often wondered if he is on a kickback from them.
    Forum Member
    My local John Lewis (Cheadle) has a Samsung OLED Tv on display, they are using a Samsung demo Bluray with everything, especially the sharpness, cranked up to max. It was very very bright and the curved screen was a novelty but it was unpleasant to watch, hopefully someone will tweak it but one member of staff there is always telling customers about how he likes Samsung's "punchy" pictures. I've often wondered if he is on a kickback from them.

Almost as impressive as their Punchy faces.....No integrity, any of them....;)
    Forum Member
    Sony are supposed to be having a catalogue of 4 K programmes to download. I would have thought they might use some of that to demonstrate the picture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony are supposed to be having a catalogue of 4 K programmes to download. I would have thought they might use some of that to demonstrate the picture.

They did have a 55inch 4K Sony with a demo unit but I don't think it is there at the moment. It was very good but you had to be very close to it to appreciate the difference.
    Forum Member

Yes, Sony are going to stream their own 4K content, you will need their media player (On sale in the US only at the moment) or the PS4. There are some 4K demo's on YouTube....(They even look amazing on a 2K monitor).
    Netflix have been demoing 4K as well, Bandwidth will be a problem for some as well as slow BB speeds.
    The BBC and Sky are working together on 4K broadcasts with a view to having a service in place for early 2015.
    its early days yet but I'm guessing it will ramp up as soon as the BD committee finalise the BD format......Early indications are that it will be on 100GB, 3 layer discs, although, it's not yet known if current bluray players will work with just a software update or not on the new discs.....
    Might as well get a new screen and player at the same time....Or get a PS4, probably...:)
    Looking forward to it all coming together, much more than when 3D was starting I think 4K will prove to be more popular than 3D ever has been.....If it ever really has!!?? Patience will be the key. My only barrier, as far as I see, is finding the space for 65 to 80 inch screens...Of course, that sets me on a collision course with SWMBO...:eek:;)
    No doubt some will become entrenched in their views well before it appears mainstream.....and I'm guessing you'll never change their minds once that happens....:rolleyes:
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that really p1sses me off is that current HD broadcasts are nowhere near as good as they could be yet Sky & the BBC are working on 4K. Pull your fingers out guys and actually give us the best possible 1080p/i pictures you can for everyone to enjoy before you start farting about with 4K for the minority.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I agree. I think 47" is a fine size for HD for me at the moment but for 4K I'd have to go about twice the size and dont have the space. Improving 1080p/i broadcoasts would be good. I'm not a techie person though :o I can certainly notice a difference on 47" compared to 32" :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skinj wrote: »
    The thing that really p1sses me off is that current HD broadcasts are nowhere near as good as they could be yet Sky & the BBC are working on 4K. Pull your fingers out guys and actually give us the best possible 1080p/i pictures you can for everyone to enjoy before you start farting about with 4K for the minority.

The current pictures are what the production people want. Give them a "techie" picture and they go wild. They hate what they call "eelectrorrrnic pictures". Many were furious at having to ditch 16mm because they thought those pictures had "texture". They would use super 8mm if they could. Fog, Net and similar optical lens filters are often used to get the pictures they like.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can contact me on my mobile on 07872412745 or email Bernadette.Kitterick@bbc.co.uk

So, as Bernadette_Kitt hasnt been back to DS, just wondering how many people invited her round to look inside youre house and sent all there contact details to her :o:D:eek: :rolleyes: