Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that's only been the case for a few episodes though

True :)
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DAMN YOU ED! *shakes fist*

I actually welled up twice, the first time there might have even been a stray tear - either that or there was something in my eye.

First - Aaron and Paddy. One of the most neglected but excellent pairings on ED. As soon as the Padster's face crumpled so did mine and when Aaron called him 'dad' it nearly finished me off :o:D Why oh why did we not have more scenes with these two? During the A/S storyline they practically forgot Aaron was so close to Paddy and had Paddy ridiculously turning his back on him a bit to play dad to Rhona's child. That just wouldn't have happened. What a waste.

Second, but not so emotional for me personally but ... you know? - Aaron and Chas. What the hell she was proud of I don't know (well .... she did say she didn't understand bless her) but their long awaited hug goodbye nearly set me off again. I had to swallow a large lump in my throat.

DAMN ED AND YOUR MANIPULATIONS! :mad::D

Oh and Aaron's little smile at the top of the escalator. Wow, I bet Danny had trouble with THAT one. A smile? Unheard of. Poor bairn, he better start practising for his upcoming panto stint - something I admire him for by the way. Shows he's not too big for his boots or above himself IMO. And he came over as a very nice lad on TM today. I wish him well - lots of smiling and no more tear sticks will be a start!

Other than that? Well. What can I say? Aaron took the rap because he got off with stuff he should have been sent down for and Adam just makes one, teeny, weeny mistake (yeah, I know :rolleyes:) but will go to prison and that didn't seem fair? Hmmm - can't say I think much of Aaron logic. And Cain goes along with it angering and letting down his sister in the process? Hmmm - nor Cain logic. Perhaps there's something in the water?

Am I the only one who's finding Pollard and Brenda quite amusing? Poor Brenda, her first one night stand and from her face in the cafe she couldn't have been more shocked if she'd shagged Peter Sutcliffe :D Did I imagine it but when she got with Terry did she say/imply that he was only the second man she'd been with? So she's normally quite moralistic? Well, good for her, making up for a bit lost time and I quite like them together - and Gennie's reaction was spot on for a daughter hearing about her mum's sex life :D As I've already said, she's much better out of that cafe. Mind you so is Bob, I prefer him in the pub. Perhaps it's because the cafes decor is so damn depressing?

Cameron once again improved no end away from dismal Debbie. I would absolutely love it if CHAS is the one pregnant with Cameron's baby! I was going to say that that would wipe the smile off Debbie's face but with hindsight perhaps not? :D Just chuck that cat amongst the pigeons ED, I for one would love it!

Ali can't read. I find it hard to care yet in real life I would feel dreadfully sorry for someone in her position and would be pointing her in the way of adult learning classes. I wonder if it's dyslexia? Sean's reaction was what I would have expected :rolleyes: But it was good to see that she has some ambition for her kids and wants them to have more than she had. However as others have pointed out there's not been a hint of such a disability before now, she's worked in the factory with no problems at all - mind you, so has Lizzie. You know, writing that HAS made me feel a bit sorry for her :o

DAMN YOU ED AND YOUR MANIPULATIONS!!! *shakes fist*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    First of all , I enjoyed the episodes. Eric and Brenda's story is very entertaining and I'm even taking an interest in the Chavs.

One very strange thing though , and I don't think it has been mentioned ( it may have been on other threads , but I've only looked at this one so far) was the absence of any urgency on Aaron's part to avoid being arrested. He stuck around in the village long after he was due in court, even going to see his mum when he must have known the police would be looking for him.And then the police come round and instead of running he casually stands outside the back of the house. And the police don't even bother to look round the back!

And his remarks that the police won't look for him in France because it's just a fire are quite ridiculous. Attempted murder is about as serious as it gets and of course if they could trace him he would be extradited pronto
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    With Nikhill looking complety awkward! :D:D:D

I'm really liking Brenda in the B&B at the moment i suspect Brenda/Pollards releationship will be the reason why Val returns it will make for some interesting stuff!

Yes I hope Brenda continues working at the B & B. She really cheers the place up including Eric. Eric has been so miserable with Val lately that it is a joy to see him happy again!:)
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    david1955 wrote: »
    First of all , I enjoyed the episodes. Eric and Brenda's story is very entertaining and I'm even taking an interest in the Chavs.

One very strange thing though , and I don't think it has been mentioned ( it may have been on other threads , but I've only looked at this one so far) was the absence of any urgency on Aaron's part to avoid being arrested. He stuck around in the village long after he was due in court, even going to see his mum when he must have known the police would be looking for him.And then the police come round and instead of running he casually stands outside the back of the house. And the police don't even bother to look round the back!

And his remarks that the police won't look for him in France because it's just a fire are quite ridiculous. Attempted murder is about as serious as it gets and of course if they could trace him he would be extradited pronto[/QUOTE
    ]

Yes I agree with you there!! He didn't seem to be in any hurry to get to the airport did he? Why didn't the police look for him at the pub?
  • mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Yes I hope Brenda continues working at the B & B. She really cheers the place up including Eric. Eric has been so miserable with Val lately that it is a joy to see him happy again!:)
    So Brenda's in the B & B :eek: Is she still being rude to customers Val? :D
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Great post, Musty, totally agree. (Hope I can call you 'Musty', and I mean that in a genuine, non-snide way, as I don't think we've had much interaction beore). :)
    Thanks Oldnjaded :) I prefer Musty to Mr M and you're welcome to call me it :D
  • DuchessKittyDuchessKitty Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i have to admit to quite liking the idea of Brenda and Eric having a fling. Will Val come back to fight for her man? As a storyline it might bring some much needed comic relief to help lighten the tone; with the horrible Ashley-Sandy storyline and the ever rumbling on Sarah saga.

I have to disagree with anyone hoping for Chas and Cameron to get together. Personally I think it's gross and appalling that a woman would sleep with her niece's partner. I know it takes two to tango, but I thought the Dingles were all about looking after their own?

On a Chas point, I couldn't help but think that Aaron's leaving on a jet plane while on the run from the rozzers was his way of getting away from her for good! :D
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,799
    Administrator
    A number of disruptive post have been removed from this thread. Please keep the discussion constructive and on-topic.
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    regarding Ashley's father, I always thought that Sandy was short for Alexander rather than Andrew :confused::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »

And his remarks that the police won't look for him in France because it's just a fire are quite ridiculous. Attempted murder is about as serious as it gets and of course if they could trace him he would be extradited pronto

BIB: That's what I was thinking when I was watching too! This lad was a fugitive on the run from the law yet they were leisurely chatting round the back as if he was only going to Spain for a week but had just dropped it on his mum before he left that he was going to try every dangerous sport known to man while he was away and she was rightly kicking off about it! No sense of urgency at all but I must admit that I just found it comical and not annoying (for a change) and don't really expect anything else from this current shower in charge. But yes, it was VERY lax of the police not to look round the back :D

But it did give me the Aaron, Paddy and the 'dad' moment which being the sentimental old fool that I am pleased me no end :o

AllieSA wrote: »
    It's not the response to the initial post that I was referring to, but rather the fact people continued to ~ for want of a better word ~ 'target' the poster well after he/she had withdrawn from the thread. I just don't think that particular episode is a great example of treating differing opinons respectfully ~ from either side of the fence.

'Nuance'? Guilty as charged! :o Mainly because I loved it and it became my latest 'buzz' word. I was looking for nuances in everything! Still am if truth be told ....
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Yes I hope Brenda continues working at the B & B. She really cheers the place up including Eric. Eric has been so miserable with Val lately that it is a joy to see him happy again!

And Amy doesn't seem quite so annoying! In fact she's calmed down no end since she put her baby up for adoption which the kind of character progression that I like. And she does seem to genuinely care for Eric. But I think we might see a return of 'old' Amy when she realises that Eric has been 'servicng' Brenda :eek: No doubt it'll be "how can you do this to Val!" even though Val has dropped them in it, buggered off with all their money and is probably enjoying herself with copious amounts of toyboys in Portugal! But no, it'll be all big bad Eric's fault ... hope I'm wrong though, I'd love for Amy to give Eric and Brenda her blessing. That would p!ss off Val even more when she returns.
    So Brenda's in the B & B :eek: Is she still being rude to customers Val?

No, she's great in the B&B. She helps out, deals with difficult customers with aplomb and seems right at home there! It's like a different woman to the one who's in the cafe. I think Brenda might have found her vocation. Or at least her man - I really like her and Eric together.
    Well i have to admit to quite liking the idea of Brenda and Eric having a fling. Will Val come back to fight for her man? As a storyline it might bring some much needed comic relief to help lighten the tone; with the horrible Ashley-Sandy storyline and the ever rumbling on Sarah saga.

I have to disagree with anyone hoping for Chas and Cameron to get together. Personally I think it's gross and appalling that a woman would sleep with her niece's partner. I know it takes two to tango, but I thought the Dingles were all about looking after their own?

On a Chas point, I couldn't help but think that Aaron's leaving on a jet plane while on the run from the rozzers was his way of getting away from her for good! :D

BIB: Oh absolutely. Normally I'd be the first to agree but as it's miserable mug Debbie who's the injured party I find it hard to care :o Especially after what she's been expecting Cameron to put up with lately. Plus Chas and Cameron have hundred times more chemistry than him and Debbie have ever had, Cameron becomes more interesting to me when he's in scenes with Chas. Let Debbie get back with Andy when he no doubt offers her his manly shoulder to cry on. One thing for sure - if Andy tried his wife battering out on Debbie he'd end up in intensive care so it could be a win, win storyline!
    Aida wrote: »
    My only slight disappointment was Eric's remark to Dim Dave that 'she'd do' - but maybe he was just a bit embarrassed and flustered?

That's what I put it down to too Aida. I hope he's not just using her as Brenda tends to fall very hard for men and after seeing this different side to her I don't want her to be upset. Especially if she ends up skulking back the cafe and goes back to her usual self.
    First bib - Since it seems that, like the poor, they're destined to be always with us, I'll concede that the little girl is sweet and very natural and the boy has faint possibilities, provided the scripts steer him away from either becoming the successor to the dear, departed Saint Aaron or fathering a child on Belle Dingle! :eek:

Agreed. We DO NOT need a 'new Aaron'! They really did the Sean character a terrible disservice by giving him such a shockingly snarly, nasty debut on the show. It's taken me a long time to be able to look at him without wanting to drown him in the horse trough. This war project has made me warm to him slightly (and his scenes with Alan) as I can see there's some hope for him if he's properly encouraged. And I did like (for want of a better word) the way they kept him in character when Ali told him she couldn't read - all snarly and nasty with 'you've lied to me all my life, I'll never forgive you!' histrionics but then calming down and asking his mum if she was winding him up, then asking sensible questions. Could there be a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for this character?

Phew! Was having a bit of trouble with my internet there so had to cut and paste this post so it wouldn't be lost. When I came back in and said DS Forum Support I thought we'd been shut down! :eek:
  • tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a chavvy bird called Ali
    Who, with women, is rather pally
    Ok, Ok, I can't read,
    She admitted to her demon seed,
    All the lies, it's hard to keep tally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL TJ :D

With having so much other stuff to talk about I've neglected to say how much I've been enjoying your limericks/odes :):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I don't really have anything more to add about the Aaron exit (I thought it was a well acted but completely ridiculous scenario) except to say that while I never really warmed to Ed I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for him when it became apparent that he had no idea what was really going on or that he was basically just being used :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AllieSA wrote: »
    I don't really have anything more to add about the Aaron exit (I thought it was a well acted but completely ridiculous scenario) except to say that while I never really warmed to Ed I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for him when it became apparent that he had no idea what was really going on or that he was basically just being used :(

Agreed, at one point I thought Aaron was going to go in the opposite direction away from him. Somehow I don't think that those two will be staying together! And like I've read elsewhere - isn't Ed going to find it a bit strange that Aaron's travelling on a passport in a different name?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just spotted this in the letters page of yesterday's Yorkshire Evening Post (accompanied by a pic of Chas and Cameron in an embrace).

What do you all think of this guy's opinions?
    Having spent another frustrating week attempting to convince my employers that i am not in my dotage at the age of 58, and that 40 years unbroken (until recently) service in the nursing profession is a good thing and that i might, just might, be an asset to an organisation, i decided to have a lazy saturday morning, enjoying some harmless escapism in the form of the Emmerdale omnibus. What a portrait of Yorkshire. No two people can have a conversation without large amounts of alcohol being consumed. One young lad attempts to burn someone alive in a garage, rescues him and then all his "mates" lie through their teeth to protect him (apparently that's what "best mates" do these days). The young man then consoles himself with, of course, a bottle of vodka. The local vicar is constantly verbally abusing his elderly father and coaxing his daughter to tell lies about the "accident" that occurred when his father had a fall. There are impolite children crawling out of the woodwork who have never heard of attending school or saying please or thank you. And apparently trenage binge drinking is de rigeur. One character is, it seems, heading for a "nervous breakdown". So, how do they portray this? By having him talk to himself when alone. No stereotypes there, then. So all in all, i enjoyed my bit of escapism and felt relieved that we don't really need ambassadors for Yorkshire when we've got Emmerdale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for posting TJ - that guy would find a lovely home at DS to vent his feelings. Add that to the letter I read in my mum's TV Times a while ago and we have conclusive proof that it's not just DS members who are alarmed at the state of ED nowadays.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tjbantam wrote: »
    Ok, Ok, I can't read,

:D I laffed, a lot. :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting TJ - that guy would find a lovely home at DS to vent his feelings. Add that to the letter I read in my mum's TV Times a while ago and we have conclusive proof that it's not just DS members who are alarmed at the state of ED nowadays.

He couldn't have put it any better, being of a certain age, I am really upset when a simple please and thank you are not used. I worked as a dinner lady for seven years and I was horrified at the lack of manners displayed by children as young as 5, I also worked in a pub in the evenings, yes you have guessed, I had to work around my 2 small children, I even had people click their fingers at me to gain my attention, they never got it by the way
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just spotted this in the letters page of yesterday's Yorkshire Evening Post (accompanied by a pic of Chas and Cameron in an embrace).

I'm trying really hard to come up with a counter-argument. Just give me a while.....:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow that was interesting but very very true and impossible to argue against!
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, Ok, I can't read,

:D Another gem! :D

I think they're extremely illuminating! Are you a regular reading of the YEP, Bantam - I only ask because, if it's not too much of a chore and you do read it regularly, it might prove interesting to see if the letter-writer gets any supportive replies or counter-arguments!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly not Aida.

Just so happened a colleague had it yesterday. I will keep an eye on the website though.
  • LilyCLilyC Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Missed Emmerdale last night, but does Ed know that Aaron is on the run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LilyC wrote: »
    Missed Emmerdale last night, but does Ed know that Aaron is on the run.

No I dont believe he does:o
  • LilyCLilyC Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    So he's left with him because he needed to not because he wanted to.

This storyline has to be one of the worst.
This discussion has been closed.