Options

Gibraltar £1 Coin - Can I use it?

Comments

• Options
    Seven2offSeven2off Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm#15

Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
    In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
    The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term ‘legal tender’ has very little practical application.

this FAQ applies to Banknotes, but the principle is similar.
  • Options
    FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FeNerd wrote: »
    I'd just use it in a vending machine/self scan till. They will probably take it.

Surely a vending machine will spit it back out if it's thinner than a usual pound coin?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tsx080 wrote: »
    if it has the queens head on it then its legal tender in the uk and the shop must accept it

So we can spend Canadian and Australian coins?
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    <Snip>
    If you knew the number of fake £1.00 coins there were in circulation, you'd be shocked. I get at least one every couple of weeks. Being a coin collector I recognise them instantly. Yet no-one else ever seems to notice.
    Indeed. 14 million of them in this case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DigiRich wrote: »

That'd be great, their money is extremeley cheap!

Hazzah, I can now buy £1 worth of vending machine guck in an Aussie for just 43p or 47p if I went with the Looney.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gibraltar money isnt legal tender in the UK. But Scottish, English, and Irish bank notes are perfectly legal there. Its a funny ole world.
  • Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    Gibraltar £1 coins are not legal tender in the UK.

...and Scottish Banknotes are not legal tender in England.
  • Options
    DM AndyDM Andy Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DigiRich wrote: »
    You can try and spend them and if the shopkeeper accepts it then that's fine. AFAIK there's some shops in London that accept euros and some that accept US Dollars.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DM Andy wrote: »
    You can try and spend them and if the shopkeeper accepts it then that's fine. AFAIK there's some shops in London that accept euros and some that accept US Dollars.

Yes, they're called Banks :p;)
  • Options
    kipper4ukipper4u Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes in a vending machine ....
  • Options
    DM AndyDM Andy Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recharge wrote: »
    Yes, they're called Banks :p;)
    Not banks, but Selfridges, Marks & Spencers and Virgin Megastore will accept euros along with most outlets at airports and St Pancras.
  • Options
    simonipswichsimonipswich Posts: 1,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    I see, well I think it'd be fine, after all it is Sterling and GIB is a crown territory.

You can get away with the coins but not the bank notes! I have a GIB £10 and no one will except in the UK, not even a UK Bank!
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't worry as quite a number of £1 coins are in fact FAKE, made in Enfield so the OP's £1 will be no problem.

Use it in a vending machine, best way to get rid of it.
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? since when?

I was told to accept them when I was a cashier 18 years ago, it was the Irish notes we couldn't accept.
  • Options
    g_attrillg_attrill Posts: 142
    Forum Member

They aren't even legal tender in Scotland...
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Giggles wrote: »
    Really? since when?
    Since always.

But like I said, 'legal tender' seldom applies. It's all down to what someone deems acceptable currency - if that weren't the case, we wouldn't be able to spend Scottish banknotes anywhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've recieved a Gibraltar pound coin in my change today..

Can this be used in the UK as legal tender? It's a modern one with Queen Elizabeth, dated 2002, and looks like a normal pound coin but is ever so slightly thinner..

I'm not entirely sure which shop I got it from so I can't go back :( Just hoping I can use it..

English Bank Notes and Coins are useable in Gibraltar, and are taken along side the locally printed pound notes and minted coins, the Euro is also freely taken in payment in Gibraltar.

Gibraltar's notes and coins are not spendable in the UK but can be changed at any bank into UK notes and coins, the value of the Gibraltar pounds is fixed at the same value as the British pound, however expect the grabbing banks to charge an exchange fee anyway !

Older vending machines often take Gibraltar coins as they are close enough to ours not to be spoted, likewise palmed amoung other coins they are easy to pass on.

Legal warning you should not knowingly pass on notes and coins you know to be worthless in payment as you stealing the item purchased. ( and that would be a very bad thing to do :))
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I get at least one every couple of weeks. Being a coin collector I recognise them instantly. Yet no-one else ever seems to notice.

So how do you do that, so I can be informed?

Oh, I've just seen the date of this thread!
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandmansam wrote: »
    English Bank Notes and Coins are useable in Gibraltar, and are taken along side the locally printed pound notes and minted coins, the Euro is also freely taken in payment in Gibraltar.

Gibraltar's notes and coins are not spendable in the UK but can be changed at any bank into UK notes and coins, the value of the Gibraltar pounds is fixed at the same value as the British pound, however expect the grabbing banks to charge an exchange fee anyway !

Older vending machines often take Gibraltar coins as they are close enough to ours not to be spoted, likewise palmed amoung other coins they are easy to pass on.

Legal warning you should not knowingly pass on notes and coins you know to be worthless in payment as you stealing the item purchased. ( and that would be a very bad thing to do :))

Thank you for replying to my thread..

your about 2 years too late though :D I finally spent it in the end ;)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Thank you for replying to my thread..

your about 2 years too late though :D I finally spent it in the end ;)

:D *phew* been wondering about what happened with this story for years now...at last we have closure.:p:D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    get-tae wrote: »
    :D *phew* been wondering about what happened with this story for years now...at last we have closure.:p:D

I know. The mystery of what to do with a £1 Gibraltar coin. The trials and tribulations. Did anybody lose their job because of it and was it a life changing decision to be in possession of said coin.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I know. The mystery of what to do with a £1 Gibraltar coin. The trials and tribulations. Did anybody lose their job because of it and was it a life changing decision to be in possession of said coin.

Nah...think he just spent it.:D
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fake £1 coins have been in the news again in the past few days. I think they are quite worried about it as it seems to be getting out of hand.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7988001.stm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Boom wrote: »
    Gibraltar money isnt legal tender in the UK. But Scottish, English, and Irish bank notes are perfectly legal there. Its a funny ole world.

It's because Scotland and Northern Ireland aren't independent, whereas Gibraltar is a self-governing British territory outside of the UK.

That being said, people have turned up their noses at my Scottish banknotes when going south of the border. They especially don't like Clydesdale banknotes - I've been called a swindler by one shopkeeper, whilst another asked if I thought he was stupid. The response, after not accepting legal tender, was a resounding yes.
  • Options
    etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    Boom wrote: »

The UK money is all pounds sterling. Some non-UK pounds, including Gibraltar's, are actually a different currency. They maintain parity with sterling but it is a separate currency that could, in theory, change value relative to sterling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling

The Gibraltar pound is worth exactly the same as a UK pound. I am pretty sure that you can swap it for a UK one at any bank.