Who Wants to be a Millionaire? New Year's Special - ITV1+HD @ 20:00

Comments

• drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deano0501 wrote: »
    HAHA... even better, if his Wikipedia page is correct, he was even born in 1962!
    Hah well he might have lost all that money, but hopefully discovering he's ten years younger than he thought he was will be a consolation.

Seriously though it was pretty poor that he didn't double check his maths considering he had plenty of time to, and it was crucial to answering the question.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    15 minutes left and they're chatting. GET ON WITH IT! :mad:

Why have they spelt the words with a 'Z'? THIS IS NOT AMERICA!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This marriage won't be lasting very long.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tuned into it and there's a bloody competition! :mad:

Yes, with a poor imitation of the X Factor words fly in.

It also feels like X factor, when they get a questions wrong as it goes all red, like deadlock.:D
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were going to say Iceland for one worrying moment there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Curiosity FFS!
  • J-ZeeJ-Zee Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    I thought they were going to say Iceland for one worrying moment there.

It's a winter sport getting your party snacks from Iceland
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not liking Una, far to doubtful and tries to be a know-it-all
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Is that bloke going to paw his wife all the way through this :o

She's one of The Saturdays - she needs constant caring ;);)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could've done that question if Chris would just shut up! :mad:
    Now they are using the time to talk about the stupid competition.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    AxG wrote: »
    I'm not liking Una, far to doubtful and tries to be a know-it-all

I have turned over. Those's 2 whoever they are :confused: Were driving me nutty :mad:
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why I still watch..The programme's not what it used to be.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have turned over. Those's 2 whoever they are :confused: Were driving me nutty :mad:

The girl is in The Saturdays and the bloke is an England rugby international. They are pretty well known i would have thought.
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask 2 questions?

Did they ever have a Celebrity special like they have in the States with the Fastest finger and the fastest celebrity making it to the chair alone? When did they start with the pair of celebrities for these specials? Has it always been a pair of predetermined celebrities in the chair?

Also, what's up with the random pairings? I get the familial couples like Una and her husband, and the professional couples like William Roache and Michelle Collins. But what about these random pairings like Michael Ball and Eleanor Simmonds or Des O'Connor and Lee Mack or Denise Welch and David Hasselhoff? Do these couples actually know each other very well?

It's like when you watch Pointless Celebrities when they link up two ex-Corrie actresses like Rula Lenska and Wendi Peters who both appeared on the show at different times, and never intereacted.

Next week's episode features Samia Ghadie and Charlie Condou, Greg Rutherford and Duncan Bannatyne and Jon Culshaw and Debra Stephenson.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    samusek2 wrote: »
    Can I ask 2 questions?

Did they ever have a Celebrity special like they have in the States with the Fastest finger and the fastest celebrity making it to the chair alone? When did they start with the pair of celebrities for these specials? Has it always been a pair of predetermined celebrities in the chair?

Also, what's up with the random pairings? I get the familial couples like Una and her husband, and the professional couples like William Roache and Michelle Collins. But what about these random pairings like Michael Ball and Eleanor Simmonds or Des O'Connor and Lee Mack or Denise Welch and David Hasselhoff? Do these couples actually know each other very well?

It's like when you watch Pointless Celebrities when they link up two ex-Corrie actresses like Rula Lenska and Wendi Peters who both appeared on the show at different times, and never intereacted.

Next week's episode features Samia Ghadie and Charlie Condou, Greg Rutherford and Duncan Bannatyne and Jon Culshaw and Debra Stephenson.

Well next week's line-up seems logical (despite the fact that they are using Samia as a plug for DOI)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask 2 questions?

The very first celebrity special in 2000 had Carol Vorderman and Kirsty Young but they played on their own. They used the Fastest Finger on a couple of occasions. They had a Coronation Street special in 2001 with 10 Corrie stars in Fastest Finger and the fastest played for £1 million for charity on their own. They used Fastest Finger again in 2004 when they had five stars from The Bill and five stars from Bad Girls. Whoever won Fastest Finger would pick their partner from the other show. The whole doubles game without Fastest Finger started in December 2001 and carried on from there.

One thing that differs from the US celebrity specials they had back in the day. They made sure the person in the hotseat reached $32,000 with all three lifelines then left the celebrity to play for higher money on their own.

It does puzzle me as originally the pairs did make some sense. Jonathan Ross and Jane Golding. Dermot O'Leary and his dad, Andy Gray and Richard Keys, Vic Reeves and Matt Lucas, Even when Des O'Connor played in 2002 he was with Melanie Sykes. As of late the pairings are confusing. It also puzzles me to why Ellie Simmonds and Greg Rutherford are playing separately.

It's worth pointing out both New Year specials were recorded on the same day. So why didn't they carry over the third pair tonight onto next weeks show?
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that bloke going to paw his wife all the way through this :o

I know, it was a bit uncomfortable to watch.
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at this recording! Haven't watched it back yet though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uzzybuzzy wrote: »
    I was at this recording!
    Did anyone point out to Michael Ball at any point that 2012 minus 60 is *not* 1962? I'm just curious if he went home still not realising his error...
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deano0501 wrote: »
    His maths were out then...

sixty years ago wasn't 1962. Surely he must've been born in the 60's though and common sense should've told him he wasn't approaching 60 himself :confused:

Poor Michael, must have been nerves! He was born in 1962, has turned 50 this year and NOT 60! I bet he's kicking himself. Even so, I never twigged myself (and neither did Ellie) and I was busy working out who was Prime Minister in 1962 and calling out MACMILLAN. Would have been nice if Chris had nudged him to think about the question again as it was for charity. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Would have been nice if Chris had nudged him to think about the question again as it was for charity. :D
    I think he did, kind of, in as much as after Ball had said "1962" a couple of times Tarrant did repeat the question as "In 2012 the SIXTIETH anniversary of..." with what seemed like a heavy emphasis on the word "sixtieth" to me.

I wonder what the rules are on what Tarrant can do to assist. Obviously helping with the answer is a no-no, but I guess you could argue that thiis was more a case of a contestant misreading the question, and that maybe that's something that he would be able to do something about.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    Blimey I remember Tarrant once saying that he wanted to keep the standard of sleb high on this show. That was back when they were getting massive ratings though:rolleyes:

They were getting massive ratings due to having the members of the public play. Why couldn't they do a whole series featuring the members of the public rather than celebrities.

Apparently there's another 'New Year's Special' next week.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    Dub2 wrote: »
    The girl is in The Saturdays and the bloke is an England rugby international. They are pretty well known i would have thought.

I have heard of the Saturdays but ....... :o
  • RegTumblerRegTumbler Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Poor Michael, must have been nerves! He was born in 1962, has turned 50 this year and NOT 60! I bet he's kicking himself. Even so, I never twigged myself (and neither did Ellie) and I was busy working out who was Prime Minister in 1962 and calling out MACMILLAN. Would have been nice if Chris had nudged him to think about the question again as it was for charity. :D

I doubt whether it would have made much difference. When it came to the two left after the fifty-fifty, they plumped for Attlee over Churchill as to who was PM in 1962. If they had realised the correct date should have been 1952 then they would have been even more likely to have gone for Attlee.
  • uzzybuzzyuzzybuzzy Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drykid wrote: »
    Did anyone point out to Michael Ball at any point that 2012 minus 60 is *not* 1962? I'm just curious if he went home still not realising his error...

Yeah Chris did...Michael was proper kicking himself afterwards!