BD Wise and Resolution confusion?

I have a HD LED Samsung TV and Samsung Blu-ray player connected by a HDMI Cable - Because they are the same manufacturer they have something called BD Wise were it automatically sets the optimal resolution for you.

However, when I press info on the TV to see what setting a Blu-ray disc is playing at it says 1920x1080 @24Hrz

It doesn't say if it's I or P, though both are full HD and the TV is supposed to be 100 Hrz.

I am no expert on these things, but does that sound right?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most Blu-ray movies will be 1080p/24 so the TV is correct, it's receiving 1920*1080 at 24 frame per second progressive and then the TV is processing that source as it sees fit or in accordance with your settings.
    So 1:1 pixel mapping and no frame rate conversions, nirvana:)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,274
    Forum Member
    Jarrak wrote: »
    Most Blu-ray movies will be 1080p/24 so the TV is correct, it's receiving 1920*1080 at 24 frame per second progressive and then the TV is processing that source as it sees fit or in accordance with your settings.
    So 1:1 pixel mapping and no frame rate conversions, nirvana:)

Might be, might not? - the display shows what signal it's receiving, not what it's displaying - I would imagine a 100Hz TV probably doubles the frame rate from BluRay to 48 frames per second?.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I have the same TV and 1920x1080 @24Hrz means full HD @24hrz ie P . If it was I it would display 1920x1080i @24hrz.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I have the same TV and 1920x1080 @24Hrz means full HD @24hrz ie P . If it was I it would display 1920x1080i @24hrz.

You missed the point the TV displays the format of the input signal not what's on the screen. A HD ready TV with less than 1920 x 1080 pixels and capable of synchronising at 24 frame/sec would say 1080p24. You don't see 1920 x 1080 pixels though.

Nigel is making the point that a TV with 100Hz processing and if it's turned on will double the frame rate by guessing the extra frames. A 1080p24 will likely be doubled to give a 48frame/sec display (whether this a good thing is a whlly different question :eek:). IE an atificial 1080p48signal. If your TV is a full HD 1920 x 1080 display it will say 576i on the screen if its getting a SD signal, the TV will scale it effectively from say 720 x 576 interlaced to a 1080P25 picture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be, might not? - the display shows what signal it's receiving, not what it's displaying - I would imagine a 100Hz TV probably doubles the frame rate from BluRay to 48 frames per second?.

Yes that's why I specified "receiving" and once you have ensured you are getting the optimal source material then what the TV does after that is another issue not related to the OP's question.

I would not be surprised if the TV is doing 5:5 pulldown, being restricted to 100hz for the latest LED LCD panel would seem strange.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    You missed the point the TV displays the format of the input signal not what's on the screen. A HD ready TV with less than 1920 x 1080 pixels and capable of synchronising at 24 frame/sec would say 1080p24. You don't see 1920 x 1080 pixels though.

Nigel is making the point that a TV with 100Hz processing and if it's turned on will double the frame rate by guessing the extra frames. A 1080p24 will likely be doubled to give a 48frame/sec display (whether this a good thing is a whlly different question :eek:). IE an atificial 1080p48signal. If your TV is a full HD 1920 x 1080 display it will say 576i on the screen if its getting a SD signal, the TV will scale it effectively from say 720 x 576 interlaced to a 1080P25 picture.

I was refering to the OP's comment of
    However, when I press info on the TV to see what setting a Blu-ray disc is playing at it says 1920x1080 @24Hrz

It doesn't say if it's I or P, though both are full HD and the TV is supposed to be 100 Hrz.
    Which to me is asking as the OP has used BD Wise so the player sets the config, should it not say 1920x1080i or 1920x1080p on the display and why does it say 24Hrz when the TV is supposed to be 100Hrz and would like to know if its correct or not.
    So I dont think ive missed any point, just saying how the TV displays the i and p when info is pressed.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    100hz is of no benefit at all for film, its not divisible by 24. Anyways such increased refresh if it includes interpolation only makes stuff look artificial. Like bad cg or soap opera.
    Don't worry about it, if it says 24hz, fine, film is 24 fps, you want it to run at film speed end of story. If film is run at 50hz or 100hz how do you think they get 24fps into 50 or 100? yes...they crank it to 25fps, which is hardly nice at all. I don't think any tv actually displays 24hz, 24hz modes tend to run at a multiple of 24fps, repeated frames, just like a movie projector which actually blinks the shutter 3 times per frame.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, if it says 24hz, fine, film is 24 fps, you want it to run at film speed end of story. If film is run at 50hz or 100hz how do you think they get 24fps into 50 or 100? yes...they crank it to 25fps, which is hardly nice at all. I don't think any tv actually displays 24hz, 24hz modes tend to run at a multiple of 24fps, repeated frames, just like a movie projector which actually blinks the shutter 3 times per frame.

A 24fps BD played back on a display that won't synch is played back at 60fps using a process called pulldown (from the process used in a cine projector where the frame is pulled down in one go behind the rotating shutter) which as you say adds extra frames producing a slight jerkiness which some people notice and others don't