Could someone please advise me what Mega Contrast means

I have been looking at buying a new plasma t.v from Samsung and when looking at the specs it doesnt tell you what the contrast ratio is. I have noticed with other plasmas that have been out for a while that it will allways say something like 2000:000:1 but on plasmas that have just been released onto the market they all now seem to be saying Mega Contrast or something similar. Is this now some new term the manufacturers are now using to describe the contrast ratio? What if you want to know what the actual contrast ratio is?
Any help on this would be appreciated

Comments

• fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically, the different manufacturers were getting into a silly war of numbers with contrast ratios, which were largely misleading anyway.

All "mega contrast" really means is that it should have more than 1000000:1. Which is enough. Once you start getting beyond those sorts of numbers, the difference becomes irrelavent and the numbers meaningless.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iio640 wrote: »
    they all now seem to be saying Mega Contrast or something similar. Is this now some new term the manufacturers are now using to describe the contrast ratio?
    Yes it is
    What if you want to know what the actual contrast ratio is?
    Any help on this would be appreciated

I think it may be anything above 1,000,000:1 but I maybe wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Ok cool, thanks guys, has answered my question :)
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add a bit more detail, it is better than 'super contrast', but not quite as good as 'wicked hardcore contrast'.