Freeview HD Not Working

Hi,

I've just bought a Panasonic TX-P50G20B with built in freeview HD but Im not picking any HD channels up. I live in Sunniside, Gateshead. I think we use Pontop Pike. The official date for us to receive Freeview HD was Feb 2010. Can Anyone help with this.

Thankyou.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    497103 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just bought a Panasonic TX-P50G20B with built in freeview HD but Im not picking any HD channels up. I live in Sunniside, Gateshead. I think we use Pontop Pike. The official date for us to receive Freeview HD was Feb 2010. Can Anyone help with this.

Thankyou.
    Do you use a communal/shared aerial system. If so the following may help from the freeview website.

Freeview recommend asking your landlord or management company to check with the aerial system installer to see if you are set up to receive Freeview HD. This only applies if you live in one of the following areas:

London - Crystal Palace
    Newcastle and Tyneside - Pontop Pike
    Glasgow, Central Scotland - Black Hill
    Birmingham - Lichfield (Sutton Coldfield)
    Leeds/Bradford - Emley Moor

To deliver Freeview HD to 50% of the UK homes, in time for the 2010 World Cup, we have had to make some changes to the way some channels are transmitted.

As a result there are a small amount of people in flats with shared aerial systems where the frequency used may be actively filtered out by filters within the communal aerial systems. These will need to be changed to pass the Freeview HD signal to each individual household.

The households which are affected by this problem will receive a weak Freeview HD signal or missing HD Channels, however other SD channels reception should be fine. The experience may vary between adjacent flats, depending on how the aerial system has been installed.
    You may want to try Freeview HD before having an aerial survey carried out. If you do want to try this, make sure you buy the equipment from a retailer who has a refund return policy.
  • 497103497103 Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replying.
    I don't live in a communal building and I don't share an aerial. The one I have is quite new as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Thanks for replying.
    I don't live in a communal building and I don't share an aerial. The one I have is quite new as well.
    If you're definately pointing at Pontop Pike and not a relay station (if you are viewing SD freeview channels you will be pointing at Pontop Pike hopefully) the television you have definately has a Freeview HD receiver and I have checked on the BBC website and there are no transmitter problems with Pontop Pike ( try a rescan in case there was a problem when you first scanned) then you must have a problem with your new aerial and should focus on having it checked out. The only alternative is to connect the Freesat receiver on your television to a satillite dish ( a dish set up for sky will work fine) as your television is both Freeview HD and Freesat HD capable.
    Forum Member
    ok. Thanks for your efforts.
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People in Sunniside could be watching the FENHAM or Pontop Pike transmitters....

Are the short cross-rods on your aerial vertical or horizontal (like the long boom arm connecting them)? If vertical you are definitely on Fenham.

While tuned to BBC1 SD DTT, enter the set's DVB tuning menu and select 'signal condition' - this should show the signal strength and quality bars plus (under 'parameters') the channel/frequency tuned to :

Fenham will be ch30, Pontop ch48.

Let us know which transmitter you are on.

Pontop's HD channel is on ch63 and has the same erp as all the other muxes from there.
    Forum Member
    People in Sunniside could be watching the FENHAM or Pontop Pike transmitters....

Are the short cross-rods on your aerial vertical or horizontal (like the long boom arm connecting them)? If vertical you are definitely on Fenham.

While tuned to BBC1 SD DTT, enter the set's DVB tuning menu and select 'signal condition' - this should show the signal strength and quality bars plus (under 'parameters') the channel/frequency tuned to :

Fenham will be ch30, Pontop ch48.

Let us know which transmitter you are on.

Pontop's HD channel is on ch63 and has the same erp as all the other muxes from there.

The cross rods are vertical. The signal strength and condition looks good. It is on CH30 (Fenham).

Does this mean I can't receive Freeview HD yet.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cross rods are vertical. The signal strength and condition looks good. It is on CH30 (Fenham).

Does this mean I can't receive Freeview HD yet.

Not from Fenham no, that won't be until late 2012 when the Tyne Tees region has digital switchover.

Your only possible source of Freeview HD until then is from Pontop.
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    Not from Fenham no, that won't be until late 2012 when the Tyne Tees region has digital switchover.

Your only possible source of Freeview HD until then is from Pontop.

Is there a way I can switch to pontop?
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a way I can switch to pontop?

You probably need a new aerial erected and directed at Pontop Pike.

If you are getting all 6 muxes from Fenham then that would indicate it is probably a wideband, and that might be suitable for Pontop if you were to redirect it (and change its polarisation from Vert to Hoz).

However, I have no idea what your local reception conditions are. Fenham is there because Pontop's reception is poor in your area. Do any of your neighbours use Pontop ?
    Forum Member
    It looks like everyone else is using Fenham, judging by their aerials. Im a bit dissapointed about not getting HD but im glad I now Know why.

My thanks to everyone for their help.