Pioneer DVD recording problem

I have a Pioneer DVD recorder (DVR-520H) and have recently bought a Panasonic Plasma TV (TX-P46G15B) which has a Freesat tuner built-in. They are both Q-Link compatible and I am trying to use the TV tuner to record to the DVD via Scart cockets. When I use Timer Programming the TV correctly sends the signal to the DVD to start recording but when the stop time arrives the DVD carries on recording. The recording indicator on the TV goes out at the proper time so it seems to be OK, but why does the DVD carry on recording? I have tried all possible combinations of the scart sockets and changed scart cables. I've even taken them apart to check they have wires to all the pins. Now I am completely stumped.

If I try and record using the timer on the DVD I get a black screen. I would prefer to use the TV facility to make recordings.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

jjd:confused:

Comments

• iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That combination of equipment is working correctly , however if you get a matching Panasonic Hdd / DVD recorder you can dispense with the "so 1980s " scart leads and use HDMI lead and the the TV remote can control the recorder including the "record this station " feature using the recorders own freeview tuner IE in proper quality . It still wont stop at the end of the recording because pressing instant record on the TV handset is just that a command to wake up the recorder and record -- it runs till you press stop even if that is 350 hours later or whenever the hard drive is full LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Thanks iangrad, but I am still confused. Whilst accepting the point about the relative merits of scart and HDMI, my problem scenario is not "record this station" facility - I appreciate you have to manually stop this type of recording. I am referring to the TV "Timer Programming" feature which allows you to set the Start and Finish times of the recording. As I pointed out the TV starts the DVD recording but doesn't stop it. Surely it is meant to? Why have a Stop time if it has to be manually stopped? The TV manual states that "If the DVD recorder is compatible with Q-Link the TV will control the recording process". That must include stopping it, mustn't it?

Also the summary of Q-Link features in the same manual includes Power on and Power off.

Further comment would be very welcome.

jjd
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the TV timer feature is doing is selecting the chosen station and locking up the tuner on the TV frankly a naf feature that causes no end of problems with new ( non technical users ) interestingly it has not been carried forward on to the current range of Panasonic TV's ( well not in the same form )
  • captainmccoycaptainmccoy Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Pioneer 560 has a Freeview tuner built in.
    Does the 520 not have one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    No, regrettably the 520 does not have an in-built tuner. It is about 4 years old and whilst I would love a new one with HDMI (as suggested by iangrad) finances are a tad tight just now!