When has the joke gone to far

12346»

Comments

• GabeRichGabeRich Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not seeing improvement in Ed at all tbh. I agree he's trying hard and not wanting to just play the buffoon, but if anything he's been worse the last two weeks than earlier.

And I don't think Katya's choreo. is helping....

Lesley looked pretty miffed that she was up against Daisy in the DO, when there were more 'deserving' candidates for the honour!

I thought this too, but some people think she was just trying to put on a game face so her disappointment didn't come over to much. However I tend to lean to the side that thinks she was annoyed about this. From the moment her dance was ripped apart by the judges till she got voted out she seemed to carry the same expression of withheld anger. She certainly didn't react at all to finding out she was in the bottom two, no facial reaction at all, almost as if she already knew.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GabeRich wrote: »
    I thought this too, but some people think she was just trying to put on a game face so her disappointment didn't come over to much. However I tend to lean to the side that thinks she was annoyed about this. From the moment her dance was ripped apart by the judges till she got voted out she seemed to carry the same expression of withheld anger. She certainly didn't react at all to finding out she was in the bottom two, no facial reaction at all, almost as if she already knew.

I thought Lesley was a little miffed on ITT too . Just a tad unaware that in fact her dance was awful !
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    No one will ever be as bad as John Sergeant.

Actually plenty were worse - he was actually better than a few people early on in the ballroom - Andrew Castle and lovely man though is Mark Foster were pretty poor ballroom dancers. Like Craig Kelly he's acquired a rep for being worse than he was because he's the one who upset people by staying at the expense of better people some actually cared about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this is where I have to disagree with you - Ed Balls is no way as inept a dancer as the 3 others you name - he is learning AND improving all the time. Greatly no - but still improving - if we exclude the final lift on Saturday. and anyone could mess up a life - even a professional couple.

Russell Grant wasn't that bad at first it was only really after he knackered his knee and couldn't do much he started to become a joke.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davegold wrote: »
    One year one of these comedy acts will win. I'm guessing that they can't be at the bottom of the leader board each week but if a couple of unfancied couples can get to the semis then one of them will go through and anything can happen in the final.

That will be the end of SCD.:o
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Re Ed Balls - I blame his partner and whoever co- choreographs the dances and who is possibly also responsible for picking the music.

Look, Ed knows he's never going to be anywhere even better compared with the other "showbiz/trained" celebs but....what I like about him is that he tries so hard and sincerely wants to learn and takes it seriously. Her partner on the other hand only has one thing in mind....what/how to turn every steps into comedy and people pleaser.

Katya should calm it down and focus on Ed's strength and rehearsed on less but well danced steps.

And the same week she did that he would be out because he was neither as good as the other dancers or entertaining enough to be a 'crowd pleaser!!'
    As someone above said Katya is doing her very best with what she has been given to work with & seemingly both her & Ed are having some fun & entertaining the public along the way!!
    The public support will waver one week then they will be out, as there is no way on this earth they would win a dance off but until that happens I will continue to enjoy them for what they are, great entertainment, and if Ed can improve his dancing skils along the way too then that will obviously be a bonus & something to encourage him to try even harder!!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davegold wrote: »
    One year one of these comedy acts will win. I'm guessing that they can't be at the bottom of the leader board each week but if a couple of unfancied couples can get to the semis then one of them will go through and anything can happen in the final.

They never have.
    I think few, if any, who weren't deserving, have ever made it to the final.
    The BBC will make sure it doesn't happen, by influencing the public vote.

The "futile gestures" are included to make the programme more interesting to those who see the programme as a Saturday night entertainment show, rather than a ballroom dancing competition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ann_Dancer wrote: »
    There's no correlation between a person's natural ability and their work rate. Working hard helps you fulfil your own potential but doesn't necessarily make you better than the guy next to you who has more natural ability. But it may tip the scales in some cases.

Absolutely I hate the 'if you did this more often you'd be good at it' argument. No, you'd be better not necessarily the same thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fact, most series had either:
    a duffer
    a comedy contestant
    a trier
    an underdog
    a people's champion
    Leave it to you to work out which these were ;-)

Christopher Parker 2nd
    Julian Clary 3rd
    Dennis Taylor wk 5
    Peter Schmeichel wk 7
    John Barnes wk 8
    John Sergeant wk 9
    Chris Hollins 1st
    Widdy wk 10
    Russell Grant wk 8
    Lisa Riley wk 11
    Mark Benton wk 10
    Judy Murray wk 8 (Scott Mills wk 6)
    Jeremy Vine wk 8
    Ed Balls (Judge Rinder)

Kate Garroway was the worse contestant of series five (well the one who outstayed her welcome the most) and Dave Myers was of series ten. John Barnes did a really great salsa and Mark Benton a couple of entertaining routinues that still had content (I'm not the only one for whom Hammer-time ccc was a highlight of the whole series). Lisa topped the leaderboard in week one and many who care about dance said it was deserved it was after that the rot set in. Also Fiona Phillips was just as bad if not worse than Dennis Taylor. There is a wide variety of talent in your list there - and a great long list of dancers who were worse than Chris Hollins in the series he won.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Mark a lot. I'm still a bit sad that his knees started failing him that he kind of looked relieved to be going when he did. Sometimes they went a little too ridiculous with the theming, but overall he actually danced, and did it passably well, too!

I miss him, and Iveta. Their partnership was one of the best on the show.

It's always nice to know that you're not alone :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    People like Jeremy Vine or Michael Vaughn, managed to dance pretty well given their starting points.

It does seem like you need to be male to successfully shine in the middle ground. I am really hard pressed to remember the good but not outstanding women.

Michael Vaughan is a good point it was lovely watching do from a so/so ballroom and a rubbish latin one to a good to great ballroom dancer and a so/so latin one. I loved seeing him turn that corner at Halloweon - Danny won't have a moment like that or nor will Ed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    I wouldn't classify either Holly or Cherie as "middling", particularly not Cherie who got some whacking great scores and was the early frontrunner for a lot of the early going.

In terms of women who had only moderate average scores I would say that I loved all of Letitia Dean, Carol Smillie, Lesley Garrett, Sunetra, Katie Derham,Patsy Kensit, Jodie Kidd, Michelle Williams (who was batshit crazy), Claire King, Alison Hammond and to an extent Heather Small, and a few of those made it quite a long way and were reasonably popular with the public. Lisa Riley, Christine Bleakley and Alex Jones also did pretty well despite never troubling the top of the leaderboard much outside of the odd week here or there. Even this series I'd class Lesley and Anastacia as "middlers" and am enjoying some of what they've brought to the show, although the former is gone and the latter's hanging on by a thread.

Wasn't keen on Michelle but I liked all of the others.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing improvement in Ed at all tbh. I agree he's trying hard and not wanting to just play the buffoon, but if anything he's been worse the last two weeks than earlier.

I think he is improving it's just that the expectation and standard gets higher each week and the others are improving faster. I still think he's doing his best.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Letitia Dean, Lesley Garrett, Jodie Kidd, Claire King.

Some of my favourite female celebrity dancers there, specially Letitia, I think she was badly done in her year, not quite at the wozrobbed stage but almost.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    Ann Widdicombe went too long