Which 42" Panasonic Plasma would you recommend?

GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey,

On the market for a new 42" TV and have my heart set on a Panasonic Plasma but i'm unsure which model to go for, It will be used for SkyHD and the PS3, games and Blu-ray.

I have so far looked at:

Panasonic TX-P42S10B - £589.95
Panasonic TX-P42G10B - £639.95
Panasonic TX-P42G15B - £699.95
Panasonic TX-P42S20B - £708.90
Panasonic TX-P42G20B - £838.90

What model would you recommend (doesn't matter if its not mentioned here) and why?

Thanks,

Gormy.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Hey,

On the market for a new 42" TV and have my heart set on a Panasonic Plasma but i'm unsure which model to go for, It will be used for SkyHD and the PS3, games and Blu-ray.

I have so far looked at:

Panasonic TX-P42S10B - £589.95
    Panasonic TX-P42G10B - £639.95
    Panasonic TX-P42G15B - £699.95
    Panasonic TX-P42S20B - £708.90
    Panasonic TX-P42G20B - £838.90

What model would you recommend (doesn't matter if its not mentioned here) and why?

Thanks,

Gormy.
    I would go for this one. Checked out a review. They say it's a top-notch plasma.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G10, G15, and S10 are last years models. The G20 is this years G10/15 combined.

I have a G15 (which basically a G10 with Viera Cast) and love it, but as i said the G20 has replaced them both, thats the reason the G10/15 are so much cheaper, they are selling off last years models. Not too much difference in specs, so depends how much £££ you are will to spend between this years and last years models, only slight differences.

The G is a better TV than the S.

I would go for the G20, but if you want to save a bit of cash get the G15.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    G10, G15, and S10 are last years models. The G20 is this years G10/15 combined.

I have a G15 (which basically a G10 with Viera Cast) and love it, but as i said the G20 has replaced them both, thats the reason the G10/15 are so much cheaper, they are selling off last years models. Not too much difference in specs, so depends how much £££ you are will to spend between this years and last years models, only slight differences.

The G is a better TV than the S.

I would go for the G20, but if you want to save a bit of cash get the G15.

Yeah I know which one is the best and I knew the rest were last years models, my question is, is the G20 worth an extra £200 over the G10?
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I know which one is the best and I knew the rest were last years models, my question is, is the G20 worth an extra £200 over the G10?

Over a G10 i would say yes, over a G15 no as i make use of the Viera Cast that the G20 has.

If you would like Freeview HD then get a G20, if you would like Viera Cast , but are not interested in Freeview HD get a G15, if neither of those are of interest get a G10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    Over a G10 i would say yes, over a G15 no as i make use of the Viera Cast that the G20 has.

If you would like Freeview HD then get a G20, if you would like Viera Cast , but are not interested in Freeview HD get a G15, if neither of those are of interest get a G10.

Yeah interested in neither, all I will be using is a SkyHD box and a PS3. So there isn't much of a picture increase between the G1x - G2x?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah interested in neither, all I will be using is a SkyHD box and a PS3. So there isn't much of a picture increase between the G1x - G2x?

Not enough to worry about.

If you definately don't want Freeview HD capability then there is no need for the G20. Although it is a very good screen with lots of toys to play with :D
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PlayerUK wrote: »
    Not enough to worry about.

If you definately don't want Freeview HD capability then there is no need for the G20. Although it is a very good screen with lots of toys to play with :D

G20 is much better screen with freesat HD too!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    G20 is much better screen with freesat HD too!!

£200 better?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £200 better?

I would say probably not as it uses a neopdp as well. The reviews that I've seen on the G20 seem to think that it is slightly better than last years model but not a step change, the new V series should give a more noticeable change but cost considerably more. If you really don't want any of the toys then the G10 will be fine.

I'm still having fun trying out the various toys.

So far succesfully tried:

1. BBC iPlayer, works as advertised. The quality is poor though but maybe there is something you can select on the site for the dl quality.

2. Record direct to USB HD, works for both pausing live TV and timed recording. However, inspite of multi-tuners you can't record one channel and watch another. The recording itself is locked and encrypted specifically to that TV.

3. Streaming of home network video files (mpgs and AVIs) work extremely well.

4. Freesat and its HD channels work with no problems.

5. Freeview tuner works fine but I'm not in a HD area so I've not been able to try that yet.

6. Advanced display settings available for better calibration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £200 better?

yes indeed, no need to waste time and money HD terrestrial box ( which you could end up paying £200 for anyway), if that not enough then the added picture quality benefits that put it in the same league as last years V10 model, the G20 has the THX picture mode so you can get a pretty accurate picture without calibration, The calibration options are there if you do want to get a pro out to calibrate it, Nether of these are possible with the G10. The G20 may in fact be slightly better than last years V10 in the eye of many beholders. but it's in the same sort of league as last years V10.

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-TX-P42G20-Plasma-HDTV-Review.html
  • ImperialImperial Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    A bit off topic but saw this thread and thought someone could help as I'm a technophobe :o I have a 42" Panasonic Viera plasma which I love - great clarity of picture etc. Have had it 17 months but in the last few weeks channels 34567 are sometimes unwatchable...squiggly lines, interrupted audio, and strange 'spitting' sounds. Tried to call Curry's but was on hold so long I gave up.

Never had any probs with previous ancient TV. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    yes indeed, no need to waste time and money HD terrestrial box ( which you could end up paying £200 for anyway)

As I pointed out though I have no need for any tuner as I use a SkyHD box so I get no benefit there.
  • hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I pointed out though I have no need for any tuner as I use a SkyHD box so I get no benefit there.

If you've waited this long I'd be tempted to wait a few more weeks for the V20 series. (1st June I believe.)

It has a higher spec panel (and possibly WIFI built in or the Dongle included - my web search was a bit inclusive on this area.)

Having said that I have a G20 and is a superb panel. £900 is a great price for it - I paid £1100 :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardeep wrote: »
    If you've waited this long I'd be tempted to wait a few more weeks for the V20 series. (1st June I believe.)

It has a higher spec panel (and possibly WIFI built in or the Dongle included - my web search was a bit inclusive on this area.)

Having said that I have a G20 and is a superb panel. £900 is a great price for it - I paid £1100 :mad:

I'm trying to get a VT20 in the next week or so :)