Region 1 DVD wont play in the UK .

Hi ,
Ive recently bought a few DVD from the USA as they are not available here .
They wont play on my DVD all i get is wrong region .
Is there something I can do to get them to play ?
Ive tried them on all my DVD players and they wont work.

Comments

• russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you tell us the model number (or just google it) then you'll likely find a hack (pressing some combination of buttons on the remote).
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richersounds sell DVD players which have been hacked for multi-region and they are reasonably priced, Have a look on their website.
  • rolypolyman1rolypolyman1 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    If you have budget brand players then you should be able to find a hack that you can do with the players own remote control.

If you have a quality brand like Sony , Pioneer etc you will need a special service remote that can alter the firmware.

These can usually be found on Ebay for about £12 but there is also a website that does them for £20.

If you want to play them on your PC you can buy a few programs that will make your PC dvd drive multiregion unless it has a Matsushita drive made in the last 5 years in which case you can't hack those

If you post the make and model here I'm sure someone will give you a direct link to a hack
  • NectarNectar Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have budget brand players then you should be able to find a hack that you can do with the players own remote control.

If you buy a really cheap and nasty budget brand it will almost certainly be multi-region out of the box without any need for a hack.

Less than twenty - will prob already be multi-region.
    Less than hundred - easy to make multi-region with a hack.
    Over hundred - might not have a hack, but should be able to be soldered to make it multi-region.
  • williammurwilliammur Posts: 2,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always rip the DVD's to you're PC and burn them back on to blank DVD's. There is free software on the internet for you to do this but I dont think you're allowed to mention them here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Is UK not region 2?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy234 wrote: »
    Is UK not region 2?

Yes that's basically why the region 1 disc won't play
    Forum Member
    Nectar wrote: »
    If you buy a really cheap and nasty budget brand it will almost certainly be multi-region out of the box without any need for a hack.

Less than twenty - will prob already be multi-region.
    Less than hundred - easy to make multi-region with a hack.
    Over hundred - might not have a hack, but should be able to be soldered to make it multi-region.

Neither of the £19.95 players my daughter got from Argos and Tesco were MR out of the box.
    Only one had a hack too.

There are plenty of sub £100 players from the likes of Pioneer etc that require a service remote and are not hackable with their own remote
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Google < Sony DVP NS355 region code hack > (substitute your make & model) and you should find something, including if it can be done with the original remote. Mine now plays region 1 NTSC discs perfectly. I already had a Kameleon 1 for all remote which is one of the ones that will do it.
  • NectarNectar Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither of the £19.95 players my daughter got from Argos and Tesco were MR out of the box.

Okay - less than £19 - will prob be multi-region out of the box.
    Forum Member
    Nectar wrote: »
    Okay - less than £19 - will prob be multi-region out of the box.

:D;)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,270
    Forum Member
    Fenris wrote: »
    Google < Sony DVP NS355 region code hack > (substitute your make & model) and you should find something, including if it can be done with the original remote. Mine now plays region 1 NTSC discs perfectly. I already had a Kameleon 1 for all remote which is one of the ones that will do it.

I built myself a Sony Multi Region tool - works on all the NS series, and the current ones as well.

Just sit it in front of the DVD and press a single button, a few seconds and it's done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I built myself a Sony Multi Region tool - works on all the NS series, and the current ones as well.
    Any chance of some details, circuit diagram etc?
  • CanonMan75CanonMan75 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Fenris wrote: »
    Any chance of some details, circuit diagram etc?

It's bound to be PIC-based, Nigel's done some great tutorials on using PIC microcontrollers :)
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's PIC based, using a 16LF628 (LF because it runs off two AA's).
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's PIC based, using a 16LF628 (LF because it runs off two AA's).

I thought so. Any more details, pretty please? :D

I'd thought about having a go at building something similar, using the output data from Blank Frank's WINSAMP program to duplicate remote controls using a PIC. Could come in useful at work, where we have a few projector remotes that could be costly to replace...

Edit: I know what you're going to say... look at tutorial number five! I don't know what codes need to be sent to make the DVD player multi-region though...
    Forum Member
    CanonMan75 wrote: »
    I thought so. Any more details, pretty please? :D

I'd thought about having a go at building something similar, using the output data from Blank Frank's WINSAMP program to duplicate remote controls using a PIC. Could come in useful at work, where we have a few projector remotes that could be costly to replace...

Edit: I know what you're going to say... look at tutorial number five! I don't know what codes need to be sent to make the DVD player multi-region though...

PM me and I'll send you the source code.
    Forum Member
    PM me and I'll send you the source code.

Very generous of you. Thank you.

PM on it's way :)
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member

Just sit it in front of the DVD and press a single button, a few seconds and it's done.
    It's probably far easier (and is quite straightforward) to make almost all current Sony's region-free given access to a One4All remote!! This procedure involves programming a few "service remote codes" - which is all the rental "region free" remotes do!

I have done this with both a NS78 DVD player and a BDP360 BluRay player (but just for DVDs - the hack does not make BluRays region free!)

I can supply details if anyone wants!
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    It's probably far easier (and is quite straightforward) to make almost all current Sony's region-free given access to a One4All remote!! This procedure involves programming a few "service remote codes" - which is all the rental "region free" remotes do!

I have done this with both a NS78 DVD player and a BDP360 BluRay player (but just for DVDs - the hack does not make BluRays region free!)

Yes it's very simple, I did the same with my BDP -S350.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »

Do you know if this procedure can be done with Samsung BD-P2500 as the normal remote hack doesnt work?
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Do you know if this procedure can be done with Samsung BD-P2500 as the normal remote hack doesnt work?
    The Sony One4All codes leaked onto the internet. I am sure that the firms selling unlocking services would like to keep other makes/models secret if possible!