hitachi L42VK05U

Hello, can anyone give me some advise on this tv, its sold in argos for £550 at the moment, its a hitachi series 5 lcd tv, 42 inch, 100hz, full HD.

I have managed to find the model number which is L42VK05U, but i cant find anything about it.

Are all Hitachi models just rebadged Vestel units, or do hitachi still make there own tvs, if so could this tv just be a vestel?

Im needing a cheapish tv im not ruling out 40 inch but would always prefer 100hz processing as im a bit sensitive in the eye department.

Would this tv be decent or just plain pants?

Any help or input would be appreciated.:)

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,272
    Forum Member
    howley20 wrote: »
    Hello, can anyone give me some advise on this tv, its sold in argos for £550 at the moment, its a hitachi series 5 lcd tv, 42 inch, 100hz, full HD.

I have managed to find the model number which is L42VK05U, but i cant find anything about it.

Are all Hitachi models just rebadged Vestel units, or do hitachi still make there own tvs, if so could this tv just be a vestel?

Almost certainly just a cheap Vestel - the number if probably an Argos 'exclusive' - done so you can't compare prices.

It's also quite possible that it's a set Argos have bought-in cheap themselves, and paid Hitachi for the rights to use the name? - there's nothing like that model number listed on Hitachi Technical.

Im needing a cheapish tv im not ruling out 40 inch but would always prefer 100hz processing as im a bit sensitive in the eye department.

It makes no difference in that respect, you don't get ANY flicker on LCD or Plasma anyway, they don't work in the same way as a CRT.
  • TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an Hitachi 42inch 1080p 24p 50HZ LCD that also has a built in analogue and Freeview tuners.

I would highly recommend a Hitachi TV. I have had mine since April 2009 and it is excellent.

Take a look a this thread where we talking about which is better 50HZ or 100HZ. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1248704 I have also contributed to this thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    thanks for the replies so far, in respect of the 50hz or 100hz, i would like 100hz for the smoother motion, i bought a 600hz plasma and hated it because of flicker, plasmas do suffer from flicker due to the way it refreshes, so i will be steering clear of plasmas in future as dixons where very kind at taking it back as it was giving me a head ache to watch it.

So i want to stick with LCD, i understand that a decent lcd doesnt need 100hz but that it can just push it that bit further in the pic quality stakes.

ill have a look at that thread and have a good read. thanks for the posts so far.

Oh and another thing it is on hitachis website in there manuals section, plus its on the main page when they are showcasing a product in the lcd tv section, but for some reason its not in there tv lineup?
    Forum Member
    thanks for the replies so far, in respect of the 50hz or 100hz, i would like 100hz for the smoother motion, i bought a 600hz plasma and hated it because of flicker, plasmas do suffer from flicker due to the way it refreshes, so i will be steering clear of plasmas in future as dixons where very kind at taking it back as it was giving me a head ache to watch it.

Unfortunately 600Hz is just an advertising con, apparently the sets are really only 100Hz.

I've certainly never seen (or heard of) any flicker on a Plasma, as they aren't scanned it can't really happen (just as with an LCD).

So i want to stick with LCD, i understand that a decent lcd doesnt need 100hz but that it can just push it that bit further in the pic quality stakes.

I'm pretty sceptical myself - generally the higher 'refresh' rates are the more expensive sets, I suspect the 'improvement' is just down to been a better TV.

Oh and another thing it is on hitachis website in there manuals section, plus its on the main page when they are showcasing a product in the lcd tv section, but for some reason its not in there tv lineup?

There's no service manual listed for that model, or anything close.
    Forum Member
    http://www.hitachiserviceeu.com/support/guides/userguides.htm

I just selected lcd and television and clicked search, go right to the bottom the tv is number 345 in the list.

After looking through the manual, i cant quite decide if the menus look like something vestel would do, it doesnt look far off vestel.
    Forum Member
    just had a reply from hitachi, the tv is built by themselves but the software is licensed out from vestel.

mmmmmm the plot thickens.
    Forum Member
    just had a reply from hitachi, the tv is built by themselves but the software is licensed out from vestel.

Complete lie then :p

The set is bought-in from Vestel - why on earth would you manufacture your own set and then buy crappy software in?.
    Forum Member
    thats what i was thinking just found out through searching that is has a vestel chassis.

i think £550 is a bit dear for a vestel tv.

Going to have another look and do more research into what i can afford!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holey just go ahead and buy one of the excellent Hitach LCD TV's that Argos are selling.

I can put my hand on my heart and say that my Hitachi LCD is excellent and I am very pleased with it and if you buy one then so will you.

I have not experienced any problems at all with my 42inch full HD Hitachi LCD it is the best TV that I have ever had and I would happily recommend Hitachi TV's them to others.

With Hitachi you get a top brand TV with out the premium price tag.

So what are you waiting for buy an Hitachi LCD and you will not regret it.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5295889/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_15701169%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5295896/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_15701169%7CTelevisions%7C14419667.htm
  • John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV King wrote: »
    With Hitachi you get a top brand TV with out the premium price tag

No you don't.
    You get a Turkish-built cheapo.
    Forum Member

Hitachi ceased to be a top brand well over 20 years ago :p

They are now almost exclusively cheap Turkish crap - relying on people like yourself who can remember back when they were decent (and it was a very long time ago).
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In 2010, you pay a premium Samsung/LG price and get a lower Bush-end product.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bargain Alert: I have just seen an advert for Argos on TV and they are selling an Hitatchi 42inch LCD for £399.99.

I would get one before there all gone because that is a brilliant buy.
    Forum Member
    Bargain Alert: I have just seen an advert for Argos on TV and they are selling an Hitatchi 42inch LCD for £399.99.

I would get one before there all gone because that is a brilliant buy.

Do you work for Hitachi or Argos?, as you're the only person in the UK suggesting buying Hitachi crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I do not work for either Hitachi or Argos.

I am just someone who is really happy with there Hitach 42ich 1080p 24p LCD and am just saying giving my opinion just like everyone else.

I have had no problems with mine and I am very happy with it.

Just because people on here think that Hitachi is crap you can not accept that someone e.g. my self is very happy with there Hitachi LCD TV.

I am just going by my experience and I would recommend there TV's to other.

I did to one of my friend and he was going to buy one a last year but they had sold out of the Hitachi 42inch full HD LCD that they were selling at the time so he got the similar priced Toishiba.

So just except the fact that I am very happy with my Hitachi TV and that I like there TV's.
    Forum Member
    No I do not work for either Hitachi or Argos.

I am just someone who is really happy with there Hitach 42ich 1080p 24p LCD and am just saying giving my opinion just like everyone else.

I have had no problems with mine and I am very happy with it.

Just because people on here think that Hitachi is crap you can not accept that someone e.g. my self is very happy with there Hitachi LCD TV.

I'm very pleased that you are happy with your Hitachi/Vestel product, but we're all concerned that you're advising people to buy their cheap rubbish based on just ONE example.

Statisically the products perform poorly and have poor reliability, just as the other cheap Vestel sets as you can buy at the Supermarkets and elsewhere.

This isn't an 'opinion', it's how it is, and anyone in the trade will tell you so (unless they are trying to sell you an Hitachi).
    Forum Member
    thanks for the input everyone regarding the hitachi tv.

i have opted for a samsung LE40B652 for £599 with a five year warranty from marks and spencer.

It may be a older tv but it seems to be a popular one, and for that money plus the warranty i couldnt say no.

Plus it has that internet widget things with youtube and yahoo, it just seems to fit the bill with it being 100hz.

I thought for the extra £50 i was getting alot more, as the hitachi tv is a vestel unit and chassis for £550, i have had a vestel tv for the bedroom which has done me well but it never cost me that much and i would not want to spend that much on a non brand tv.

They are asking alot for what is literally and supermarket brand tv.

So i am crossing my fingers the samsung will be ok.

thanks again for all the input.
  • SibeberSibeber Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an Hitachi 42inch 1080p 24p 50HZ LCD that also has a built in analogue and Freeview tuners.

I would highly recommend a Hitachi TV. I have had mine since April 2009 and it is excellent.

Take a look a this thread where we talking about which is better 50HZ or 100HZ. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s....php?t=1248704 I have also contributed to this thread.

Based on my experience of Hitachi i would highly recommend them .I have a 5 year old Hitach 42 Plasma that is still performing superbly , a 2 year old 26 " Hitachi (vestel) in bedroom ...once again delighted with this ...and a 10 yrr old Hitachi 26" CRT with a brilliant picture in my conservatory.Each to their own I suppose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a 37' FULL HD LCD about 2 years ago for a good price (At the time & spec wise) it lasted 4 weeks before both HDMI sockets lose all sound!:mad: & yes it was nothing more than a Vestel build & software unit, the sets built in Freeview tuner had the exact same GUI as a £20 Freeview box from Asda's own make.:p