Freeview HD. When do we get a HardDisc/dvd Recorder?

I see on this site's news section that Freeview HD quotes a survey saying that According to recent research, 17% of Sky+ HD subscribers would consider changing their main set over to Freeview HD as the service becomes more widely available.
Sounds reasonable BUT when do we get a Freeview Hard disc combined with a removable disc (Blue Ray) recording machine to be able to enjoy recorded content?
I hear rumours of a PACE equivalent of Sky+ coming from Philips sometime, and although this will be welcome, what about those of us who have Hard Disc recorders with the facility to also record onto/play dvds? When will we see a Blue Ray machine which will do this and enable us to benefit from the HD terrestial transmissions?
We have Panasonic's Freesat offering, but what about Freeview?:confused:

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panasonic have already said they will be releasing a Freeview HD equivalent range to the Freesat ones
  • doverrogdoverrog Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Panasonic have already said they will be releasing a Freeview HD equivalent range to the Freesat ones

Excellent news. Do you have any idea when they may appear, or any more details?
    I have a Sony RDR-HXD710 which is ok, but is not as good as I would like. Slow and only 1 Freeview tuner, can't rewind in live pause mode etc.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doverrog wrote: »
    I have a Sony RDR-HXD710 which is ok, but is not as good as I would like. Slow and only 1 Freeview tuner, can't rewind in live pause mode etc.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/panasonic_reveals_freeview_hd_boxes_hdd_bdr_bdre_compatible

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=38603353&postcount=5
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are due out in June and will be at the High St price of £699 & £899.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,431
    Forum Member
    skinj wrote: »
    Or get a panny freesat version now, for £438 from Amazon/Laskys. And of course an old Sky dish/LNB (ten a penny) :D
    Forum Member
    skinj wrote: »

Roll on June. Let's hope other manufacturers will be joining in and we see some price reductions.
    The football should bring in some deals - I hope.
    d'@ve - Any comments on your Freesat machine? Any problems or is all good??
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,431
    Forum Member
    Roll on June. Let's hope other manufacturers will be joining in and we see some price reductions.
    The football should bring in some deals - I hope.
    d'@ve - Any comments on your Freesat machine? Any problems or is all good??
    Is all good so far (as I already knew there are limitations on what HD material you can get into the machine, and what can be burned to Blu-Ray).

This is a very sophisticated piece of machinery, with excellent video, audio and build quality. If you can't burn protected HD material, or copy HD material from Sky+ etc. via RGB, the DVD quality is as near perfect as you can imagine. One exception: it leaves a 20 pixel black bar on the left of the screen after importing materiual over the RGB input but that's not distracting, and disappears if you turn overscan on.

I am nowhere near to having explored all its capabilities yet, after over a week at it.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    Samsung have one a built in Bluray player...
    Samsung HD PVR and BD player
    I think they do a 250 gig one at around £150 less
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that the samsung is only a single tuner, while the panasonic is dual recorder, will record two channels at once etc.
    Dave
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Samsung have one a built in Bluray player...
    Samsung HD PVR and BD player
    I think they do a 250 gig one at around £150 less
    I took a look at the Samsung site and they say it's a "Blu-ray player with HDD and "free-to-air" HD TV tuner".
    So part of the way there but seems to be only a Blue Ray player with no Blue Ray/High Def. record. Not clear if the Hard Disc records High Def. Seems that as they don't say 2 tuners, it's only got 1.
    So I think Samsung will have to up their spec to compete with the forthcoming Panasonic.
    Let's keep those fingers crossed for other manufacturers to get a machine out.