Panasonic: Advice on Surround Sound Setup

I have the following connected via HDMI:

- Panasonic TH-42PX70BA TV
- Panasonic DMP-BD55 Blue Ray Player

I am looking to add surround sound.

The TV manual is next to useless in this regard but the manual for the Blue Ray implies that I can place a surround sound receiver inbetween the TV and the Blue Ray so that the three units are in series.

My question is, will this channel both the TV and Blue Ray through the surround sound?

My second question is can anyone recommend a good Panasonic surround system for this setup?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Meant to say that I would intent to plug a FreeView/FreeSat/Sky box into it also.

Not sure if that means that the TV accesses the picture through the Receiver to the Blue Ray and FreeView box on the other side.

Probably a very simple answer to this.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.

Panasonic do an AV system but it's not currently available ( according to panasonics eShop). Though it's very expensive and not that well spec'd.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Home+Cinema/Receivers/SA-BX500/Overview/1457221/index.html

Personally I would go for something from Onkyo much better value for money and equal if not better on spec (depending on model of course)..

Connection wise the source components ie sky box/ freesat / bluray etc, all connect to the AV unit and then a single HDMI output connects the AV to the TV.

Onkyo website
    http://www.eu.onkyo.com/indices/A_V_Receiver_5917373.html

These are what I have
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr577/onky-txsr577-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/onkyo/sksht528/onky-sksht528-blk

£40 less than the panny and that doesn't include any speakers.
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add to Fartymud's comments, to get TV sound out of your surround system, you will need to have an audio output on your TV which you feed back into an input of the amplifier. It would at most be synthesised surround sound - not bad but not a patch on the real thing. At least as good if not better than sound from the TV itself, though.

Your amp should have at least as many HDMI inputs as you have devices, preferably with one or two spare for the future (HDMI switches can get round this limitation but it's easier not to have to bother). HDMI carries both sound and picture, so it certainly helps to reduce the number of cables behind the scenes.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    Just to add to Fartymud's comments,

:eek: :D:D:D:D
  • rolypolyman1rolypolyman1 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Best bet is to get a basic amp and some separate speakers.

Panasonic combo units seem unable to decode DTS from an external source and there are lots of Blurays which only have DTS for the main feature which would result in you listening to Bluray movies in standard Pro-Logic surround sound , so not a forward move.

If you plan to use a Freesat etc box then forget about connecting the tv to the amp as the box will do that and will have all the necessary outputs.

Just make sure the amp you get has the necessary optical/coaxial inputs .

You should be able to get a non HDMI amp pretty cheap and unless you want to go to the expense of HD audio don't worry about HDMI connections.

Feed the HDMI to the tv for video and then use the optical/coaxial connections to the amp for sound.

Try Richer Sounds who should do you a good deal and if cost is an issue try and get a discontinued model to save lots

If you get an all in one setup you will be limited for inputs and limited for future upgrades .

Separate amp/separate speaker package is best even though its likely to be more expensive
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry GC, I couldnae resist :)

Anyway, I wouldn't play down the practicality of not having to fiddle around with extra audio cables, particularly as the number of devices you want to plug in increases. It also avoids the problem of your TV only having 2 HDMI inputs. And if you're going to go down the bluray road, you might as well go the whole hog and get full quality sound too...

It's all down to money, really - how much were you thinking of spending? If money is an issue, but you can wait until 3d TV gets going, I'm sure there will be plenty of second hand HDMI amps on the market (today's amps are mainly HDMI v1.3, but you need v1.4 for full HD 3d).

Edit: forgot to add, I fully agree that all-in-one options are a waste of money, particularly in your case with several devices to hook up.