Options

What do we want different for 2017?

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polly-T wrote: »
    Danny isn't the only one with prior dance training - Louise Rednapp and Ore both had dance training too - it just hasn't really been highlighted in their cases
    Ore highlighted that he has had NO dance training at all (in reply to James Jordan's #FACT claim on Twitter):

https://twitter.com/OreOduba/status/787638732312743936

http://www.tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/strictly-come-dancing/283791-strictly-come-dancing-2016-ore-oduba-secret-dance-lessons.html
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    To put it simply:
    Would I watch a show full of Dannys? Yes
    Would I watch a show only composed of Eds? Jesus, no!

Well said. People should be careful what they wish for. You don't get people on Bake Off who have never made a cake. I want a good sprinkling of people who can dance.
  • Options
    blueabublueabu Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically get the producers to go back to series 5 and put the show back to the way it was then - no themes (weeks or dances), no gimmicks, full length dances, proper music, proper costumes, all celebs reaching the final dancing all the dances, a properly competitive final with only two (or at most 3) couples, Argentine Tango left to the semi-finals, proper training videos, good pro dances, good celeb group dances etc. Only thing I'd add would be the Charleston.

As for judges, new head judge has to be a ballroom professional. Get rid of Darcey and replace her with a Latin professional. Just as long as it isn't Karen Hardy. Wouldn't object to Anton being a judge.

Pros - replace Oksana, have AJ and Chloe for pro dances and demos but not with partners, give Neil a celeb partner. Give Natalie and Karen contenders and Kevin the least likely winner.

Celebs - no duffers, that is all.

Presenters - Claudia can stay but I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if Tess was replaced.

I'd agree with a lot of this. But we have to remember that it is an entertainment show, not a serious ballroom dancing competition. Keep Darcy, NO to Karen Hardy, and perhaps agree to an entertainer as presenter. I would like Ian Waite on the panel, but perhaps 3 camp judges would be too much! What about Erin Boag? Oh and replace Oti please. Her voice really grates.
    Oh and don't mind some with a bit of dance experience. I find complete beginners like Ed Balls etc so boring. I want to see good dancing
  • Options
    jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Did James question whether Ore had had lessons or did he state it as fact?

If the latter, it is very strange because James was raving about Ore after the Launch Nights group dance, saying he "smashed it".:confused:
  • Options
    Londonmike61Londonmike61 Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    This is my first ever post, so i'll just get off my chest some feeling about the judges...1) Bruno has become a parody of himself. It's got to the point where his flying arms and legs just aren't funny anymore. 2) Craig is way too "picky" and along with Bruno, the panel is weighted too heavily in terms of choreographer's rather than technical expertise. 3) Darcey is just lovely, always trying to find something constructive to say, but can come across as a bit "sickly sweet" at times. 4) Len, in my opinion will be missed. He is the only judge that has "been there" before in terms of ballroom dancing, and he MUST be replaced by someone of similar experience. I have heard Anton mentioned, as well as Karen Hardy. I would be inclined to go with Karen, as I think Anton could well be considered as a new host for the show (but that is for another post sometime!) and it even's up the balance of 2 x male and 2 x female judges.

There are times when I think the panel should either be reduced to 3 or expanded to 5. How can you get a judge's decision when you have an even number of judges? How can the "Head Judge's" vote be worth double? How can a couple of dancers 2-1 behind on judges votes, suddenly find they are through because the Head Judge has voted for them? If you have to have 4 judge's, then if tied, it has to go to a tie-breaker, such as who had the lowest public vote to see who goes out. I agree with the call that from the 1/4 finals onwards, it should just be a public vote.

I think that will do for now! Will try and get other thing's off my chest in the future!
  • Options
    Matt&AlionaFanMatt&AlionaFan Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get rid of stupid themes every week! It's fine for Movie Week and Halloween, but not every week!!! Just let them dance dressed appropriately for whatever dance they are performing.

Also, the super fan(s) that seem to be popping up in the Clauditorium every week when Claudia is doing the T&C's part. Why??

Apart from that everything is fine. :)
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -A maximum of 12 couples. 14/15 is too much and drags out some of the earlier shows.
    -No more than two different dance styles per week, one ballroom and one latin.
    -A live results show. I don't care if it's Saturday or Sunday, but cut this pre-recorded farce.
    -No theme weeks. No props. No gimmicks. No silly costumes.
    -Let the pro pick the music. Ensure the music be appropriate for the dance...no more pop songs for American Smooth for example.
    -Blackpool for the final.
  • Options
    chachaclochachaclo Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    A drastic cull of the props department, please no more teapots, cows, benches, dragons. Spend the money saved on better trousers.

Everyone else has said it but it can't be said enough - proper music! They're too constrained by having 'popular' songs that don't fit. Would the auidience really be so horrified by a nice waltz, tango or decent Latin music?

Proper training vids, skip the gimmicks and maybe add in a len's lense or choreography corner style segment about the dances? Does have to be fancy just more of the pros actually teaching - explaining a step or technique. Friends, family and colleagues etc to be banned from having an impromptu 'judges table'.
  • Options
    james_von05james_von05 Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On 2017... I want to finish the season 2017 first before creating 'What do we want different for 2018' thread.
  • Options
    jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    -A live results show. I don't care if it's Saturday or Sunday, but cut this pre-recorded farce.l.

This would probably take a mammoth effort to achieve because so much is packed into the show with a pro dance, live musical performance, couples coming on in two parts for the results call (and the ensuing continuity after the pro dance...costume/ make-up), judges up and down with Len's Lens, putting up, taking down sets for the two DOs etc...personally, I don't think it would be workable.

And how would they have dealt with something like the Anastacia and/or Bruno meltdown live?:o:confused:
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoshi Fan wrote: »
    -No more than two different dance styles per week, one ballroom and one latin.

Unless we can guarantee the rumba comes near the end so we only have to sit through 3 of them, fine. ;-)

I'm sure some people would say the same about the likes of the waltz!
    -A live results show. I don't care if it's Saturday or Sunday, but cut this pre-recorded farce.

Still don't understand why this bothers people. It's easy enough to avoid the spoiler if you want to. And why would the BBC ruin a perfectly good, very successful Sunday show by moving it to (too late) on a Saturday? Also why would they pay the huge extra expensive of getting everyone back for Sunday? I'd rather them use the money elsewhere, thanks!
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JohnCurry wrote: »
    Making Craig head judge makes as much sense as making Adolf Hitler head of Amnesty International!

Goodness gracious me!
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    This is my first ever post, so i'll just get off my chest some feeling about the judges...1) Bruno has become a parody of himself. It's got to the point where his flying arms and legs just aren't funny anymore. 2) Craig is way too "picky" and along with Bruno, the panel is weighted too heavily in terms of choreographer's rather than technical expertise. 3) Darcey is just lovely, always trying to find something constructive to say, but can come across as a bit "sickly sweet" at times. 4) Len, in my opinion will be missed. He is the only judge that has "been there" before in terms of ballroom dancing, and he MUST be replaced by someone of similar experience. I have heard Anton mentioned, as well as Karen Hardy. I would be inclined to go with Karen, as I think Anton could well be considered as a new host for the show (but that is for another post sometime!) and it even's up the balance of 2 x male and 2 x female judges.

There are times when I think the panel should either be reduced to 3 or expanded to 5. How can you get a judge's decision when you have an even number of judges? How can the "Head Judge's" vote be worth double? How can a couple of dancers 2-1 behind on judges votes, suddenly find they are through because the Head Judge has voted for them? If you have to have 4 judge's, then if tied, it has to go to a tie-breaker, such as who had the lowest public vote to see who goes out. I agree with the call that from the 1/4 finals onwards, it should just be a public vote.

I think that will do for now! Will try and get other thing's off my chest in the future!

I absolutely agree with you about the judges - I did suggest this in my post earlier. I have always thought 4 judges silly. II would bring back previous pros who have judging experience and not a celebrity.
  • Options
    JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For my "Karen Hardy for head judge" campaign I offer these YouTube clips:

Bryan Watson & Karen Hardy - Cha Cha Cha @ World Super Stars Dance Festival 1998

Karen Hardy and Mark Ramprakash Argentine Tango SCD Series 4 Semi Final

She even choreographed this:

Danielle Cato - So You Think You Can Dance UK, 2011

We have had a woman Prime Minister and we are about to have a woman President of the USA, so why not a woman head judge on SCD?

Karen has her own Wikipedia article.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Probably the only major thing I'd want to change is to get rid of AJ and bring back Tristan (who I'd love to see with an actual contender this time!)

Tristan is the best pro of all time IMHO, his routines were imaginative and so watchable. That liftgate problem with Len was I think what did it for him. I suspect Tristan couldn't be bothered with the childishness of it. He and Pixie should have won!
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Tristan is the best pro of all time IMHO, his routines were imaginative and so watchable. That liftgate problem with Len was I think what did it for him. I suspect Tristan couldn't be bothered with the childishness of it. He and Pixie should have won!

Surely you mean Trent?
  • Options
    marieantoinettemarieantoinette Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I don't want an ex pro as Head Judge - I think someone completely new would liven it up a bit, especially a well respected ballroom judge with real credibility. An ex pro is always going to be nice to their ex colleagues and open to accusations of bias.

I want less of those creepy VTs aimed at 2 year olds.

I want more parity in the dances and music - some contestants have had a really raw deal with very tough dances early on - I'd much rather they kept to a core in the first few weeks as they used to. As for some of the music choices - grim. And it affects the results too much.

Less theming - shows or Bollywood salsa. And stop turning some dancers into the comedy acts. Again, not fair.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Music appropriate to the dance - always.
    Camera work that doesn't cut off the dancers feet.
    A forum which focusses on the dancing rather than the personalities private lives or those of other celebrities loosely or formerly connected to the participants. ;-):)
  • Options
    DervlathedogDervlathedog Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every contestant has to have an understudy in case of fatal injury, mental distress, botulism, or what have you.

Strictly 2016 is a bloody Plague Ship :o:o

(No offence intended whatsoever to any of the afflicted themselves... Maybe what I really mean is that there should be more strenuous and searching medical checks in the recruitment process, and that medical/physio/counselling back-up should be prominently on offer for all dancers throughout their time on the show)
  • Options
    DUHODUHO Posts: 2,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Claudia is irreplaceable"

well I suppose if you like TV presenters to act like immature 10 year olds well yes she is.

I would rather watch grown ups personally
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUHO wrote: »
    "Claudia is irreplaceable"

well I suppose if you like TV presenters to act like immature 10 year olds well yes she is.

I would rather watch grown ups personally
    I am a grown up and absolutely love Claudia . But to each his own I would never sneer at others tastes
  • Options
    DUHODUHO Posts: 2,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    I am a grown up and absolutely love Claudia . But to each his own I would never sneer at others tastes

That's just my opinion on Eve Pollards daughter. no more no less
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The male pros to have tighter fitting trousers, especially around the posterior.
    Gorka and Giovanni to dance topless.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    The male pros to have tighter fitting trousers, especially around the posterior.
    Gorka and Giovanni to dance topless.

I agree with the first suggestion + no pockets. But absolutely no for the second! :o>:(
  • Options
    James_LavertyJames_Laverty Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about some new dances are added. We've haven't had a new dance added since Series 7 IIRC so might be time for a refresh.