Fouling

tobesure Aaarh!tobesure Aaarh! Posts: 1,159
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just noticed one of my neighbours (whilst walking her dog) allowing it to poop on the grass verge outside my house. The family for some reason don't like picking up after their dog.

What pisses me off it that they don't allow it to poop on the verge in front of their house. She recently lost her husband to cancer and buried him about two weeks ago so I don't want to be insensitive...but I have a small child and we park on the area and we have had stepped in dog poo before.

Do I call the council or have a quiet word?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a quiet word or drop her a little note "Sorry to intrude at a difficult time but..." Point out that dog's poo can be very dangerous to children as it can cause blindness and say that it is hard to stop small kids from stepping in the mess. It is also a bugger to get off pram wheels - that sort of thing.

I am sure if you put it that way then she will realise that it is not on. Make it clear you are not complaining for the sake of it but because you are concerned about your family's health.

Some facts: http://www.doodycalls.com/resources_toxic_dog_waste.asp

If she doesn't do anything about it then she leaves you no option but to call the Council. But I would hold off for now if you can.
  • tobesure Aaarh!tobesure Aaarh! Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a quiet word or drop her a little note "Sorry to intrude at a difficult time but..." Point out that dog's poo can be very dangerous to children as it can cause blindness and say that it is hard to stop small kids from stepping in the mess. It is also a bugger to get off pram wheels - that sort of thing.

I am sure if you put it that way then she will realise that it is not on. Make it clear you are not complaining for the sake of it but because you are concerned about your family's health.

Some facts: http://www.doodycalls.com/resources_toxic_dog_waste.asp

If she doesn't do anything about it then she leaves you no option but to call the Council. But I would hold off for now if you can.

I was fuming initially when i saw it, but have had time to calm down and think rationally... I was thinking of a note as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    There's no excuse. If you have a dog you should clean up after it. Why should it be left to other people to clean up? Have they always allowed their dog to mess everywhere?

I'd just write to the local dog warden who will get in touch with them. If you don't they'll just take there dog outside someone elses verge to cr*p.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_UK wrote: »
    There's no excuse. If you have a dog you should clean up after it. Why should it be left to other people to clean up? Have they always allowed their dog to mess everywhere?

I'd just write to the local dog warden who will get in touch with them. If you don't they'll just take there dog outside someone elses verge to cr*p.

I have seen it crap a few times...but I thought it depended on who was walking the dog at the time...but it seems to me like the whole family are not particularly bothered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I could not agree more with your first paragraph. But this is a neighbour and a recently bereaved one. The OP has to think how it would look if she spoke to the Council without giving the family the chance to rectify this. It may not go down well with other neighbours. But a polite note expressing concern about her family's health, particularly her child's, could not be seen as unreasonable by others.

These things can escalate and I always think the softer approach is best first, if possible. If that doesn't work, then fair enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Yes but if the dog warden does it, the neighbour stays anonymous and there's no comeback then. The dog has probably been fouling all the local verges. Someone with a big dog has started bringing there dog along my street and letting it mess. This isn't on, its disgusting and people need to be reminded of this.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Take photos of the dog fouling and the owners not picking it up. Then send photos to the council website under the fouling section.

I dread to think what their back garden is like and the smell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take photos of the dog fouling and the owners not picking it up. Then send photos to the council website under the fouling section.

Their yard (front and back) is very immaculate and they have spent a lot of money doing it up their home.

But it seems they are people (like some car drivers or flytippers) who rather mess everybody elses environment up except their own. Just lack of consideration.
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is an old man who walks his dog 2 or 3 times a day on a green outside my house and I have always suspected that he doesn't pick up. One day standing at my sink I actually saw him walk away after his dog had finished and I quickly picked up one of my poo bags and went over to him and politely asked him if he had forgotten a bag would he like to use one of mine.
    He always picks up now (I think)
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you make sure she sees you taking photos she is more likely to pick it up.

If it keeps happening pick it up and leave it in a bag on her front doorstep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Yes but if the dog warden does it, the neighbour stays anonymous and there's no comeback then. The dog has probably been fouling all the local verges. Someone with a big dog has started bringing there dog along my street and letting it mess. This isn't on, its disgusting and people need to be reminded of this.

I'm a dog owner and this is one of the things that really annoys me. I never leave the house without a supply of pooh bags (don't usually need them as my lot are trained to relieve themselves at home first but accidents do happen :rolleyes:) Recently, some eejit has taken to walking their dog along our street and letting it plop without clearing it up :mad::mad: I have been keeping an eye out for them so that I can 'lend' them a pooh bag but I suspect they are out very early or very late in the day so that no-one sees them :(
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bag it up and post it back through their letter box - but empty the bag in the process!
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just noticed one of my neighbours (whilst walking her dog) allowing it to poop on the grass verge outside my house. The family for some reason don't like picking up after their dog.

What pisses me off it that they don't allow it to poop on the verge in front of their house. She recently lost her husband to cancer and buried him about two weeks ago so I don't want to be insensitive...but I have a small child and we park on the area and we have had stepped in dog poo before.

Do I call the council or have a quiet word?

i know at our council if you have sufficient details, the enforcement officer would go out and have a word, if you know its happening at a certain time of day they could catch them commiting the offence. if your willing to stand up in court as a witness they will issue a ticket - most wont risk court cause they know they are at fault and it would result in further costs, so they will pay up and it wont even go to court.
    I hate dog fouling its disgusting and people who dont pick up after their dogs are just irresponsible. I wouldnt hesitate to confront someone & report them.
    Why should your child drag someone else dog crap into your own home??? Get em reported - the council will thank you for it if there anything like mine they take the offence very seriously.
    Good Luck:)
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a tricky one. I detest people who allow their dogs to foul and, as a dog owner myself, I always clear up after my dog.

However, this lady is recently bereaved and I don't suppose even thinking about clearing up dog poo is really on her agenda. It is a horrible, horrible time for her.

Does this lady walk her dog at regular times? If she does you could be outside "weeding or tidying-up";) as she walks her dog on your verge.

It would be a chance to offer your sympathy to her following the loss of her DH and if the dog does anything while you're chatting you could offer a plastic bag and say something like "you wouldn't believe the dogs mess I get on here."
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    However, this lady is recently bereaved and I don't suppose even thinking about clearing up dog poo is really on her agenda.

That doesn't follow at all. One thing has absolutely nothing to do with the other. I'm sure she has not just started not picking up since her bereavement.

If she is ok to walk the dog in the first place, then she is ok to pick up after it.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff - I'm trying to think well of this poor lady!:) The OP didn't actually say how long she had been allowing her dog to mess without clearing it up.

A lot of us just go on to automatic pilot when we're grieving.

Don't for a minute think I approve though. I hate it and have reported people to our local council and I never hesitate to say something if I meet another dog walker and they let their dog s**t and don't clear it.
  • Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I'd shovel it up and keep throwing it on her doorstep until she gets the message.