Cockapoop

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,243
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can people please stop buying these crossbreds (Cockapoos, chugs, cavaschons, jackapoos to name but a few) for stupid money from smug con-people?

Thank you. :)

Comments

• angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people next door have a Labradoodle that is registered with the Kennel Club and insured for a whopping £6500. There are many cross breeds now getting into the kennel clubs especially cross breeds from poodles and Bichon Frise as they are non alergenic and have a good friendly nature.

* Chi-Poo
    * Cockapoo
    * Goldendoodle
    * Labradoodle
    * Maltipoo
    * Papillon-Bichon
    * Papipoo
    * Pekepoo
    * Pomapoo
    * Poochon
    * Pug-a-Poo
    * Schnoodle
    * Shih Poo
    * Yorkie Bichon
    * Yorkie Poo
    * Pure Bichon Frise
    * Pure Poodle

Go to a reputable registered breeder who is not going to rip you off and if you can check out the place where the dogs are kept and if there happy as this is a good sign of whether the breeders are good at their job or amateurs.

Cross breeding can cause heart, liver and kidney damage as well as respiratory and even mental problems in dog's that are not suited to cross breed. The same goes for in breeding of dogs or cats. If you cross breed two dogs you have to expect the best and worse of both breeds.

Many breed's of dogs can cross breed if they share the same temprament and of the same size. Many animals have cross bred natuarally without man's help for thousands of years wolfs, cows, dogs, cats and most wild and domestic farm animals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of the Kennel Club but looking on their site, they don't list these as breeds, only the pedigrees.

There are so many unscrupulous breeders out there, charging upwards of £600 for a crossbred and there are so many silly ignorant people out there willing to pay for it! These crossbreds were once given away free to good homes then some twerp had the bright idea of giving them silly names and charging a small fortune for it. These animals come with no papers, no pedigree history to trace back and are often bred at 'puppy farms'.

I phoned a breeder of a cavapoo recently and asked if the price was up for negotiation as £400 for a x-bred was a bit steep. She got very indignant and put the phone down on me. :rolleyes:

Please people, spread the word and stop funding these rotten 'breeders' and their bullshitz. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    angustay wrote: »
    The people next door have a Labradoodle that is registered with the Kennel Club and insured for a whopping £6500.

Well, the people next door have been done then as the Kennel Club (there is only one 'official' Kennel Club in the UK) will not register labradoodles or any other kind of oodles, poos or whatever other stupid names that are being used. They have bought a crossbreed. As it is just as likely to suffer illness it is insured for what any dog will be insured for ie to cover those bills. It's nothing to do with how much the animal is worth. All I can say is a fool and his money are soon parted :rolleyes: I wonder if either of the parents were health tested? I can almost guarantee not. Good luck to your neighbours. Whatever they paid, the puppy producer (I will not call them breeders as they have no concept of what breeding entails) saw them and their wallet coming!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the people next door have been done then as the Kennel Club (there is only one 'official' Kennel Club in the UK) will not register labradoodles or any other kind of oodles, poos or whatever other stupid names that are being used. They have bought a crossbreed. As it is just as likely to suffer illness it is insured for what any dog will be insured for ie to cover those bills. It's nothing to do with how much the animal is worth. All I can say is a fool and his money are soon parted :rolleyes: I wonder if either of the parents were health tested? I can almost guarantee not. Good luck to your neighbours. Whatever they paid, the puppy producer (I will not call them breeders as they have no concept of what breeding entails) saw them and their wallet coming!

Labradoodles fetch silly money these days, around £1000. They're the only crossbred I can just about abide since they were bred initially for a purpose, though I don't condone the prices they sell for.

Unfortunately puppy producers as you put it (I like it - breeder is too much of a compliment!) cottoned onto something - they can now sell their 'accidents' for extortionate amounts!

I know of someone who recently bought a 14 week old (??? runt???) labradoodle for around £900 from a pair of dog groomers in Risca, South Wales. The pup was riddled with fleas but the daft woman had no idea this was out of order and excused them as they had ducks and chickens!
    Forum Member
    My friend is a dog groomer and is making plenty of money grooming labradoodles. What the producers fail to explain to the purchasers is that not all the puppies will have non-moulting coats. In fact, few of them do. They can have anything from a labrador coat to a poodle coat with any and every variation of both inbetween. She says some of the coats are a nightmare to look after, even for a professional. She finds that the idiots who have shelled out hundreds of pounds to buy their crossbreeds usually have given no thought at all to how much it's going to cost in upkeep. Consequently, they leave them too long between grooming and then it's a massive (and expensive) job to sort them out. Wonder how many get dumped because their owners can't/won't pay out for them grooming?

Don't get me started on the flea issue :mad: Why anyone would want to include 'de-flead' in their cockerpoo/chavapoo/labrathingy ads is beyond me. Talk about letting everyone know you have dirty unkempt animals. Puppies should not need de-fleaing. If they and their parents have been kept properly in clean conditions then they won't have fleas! It's not a difficult concept to grasp :rolleyes:
  • angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did not cost my friend anything for the dog it was left to him and was already insured he just updated the policy. His papers are legit but is a rare case something to do with both parents being a rare bloodline or something like that. His dog is recognized but the breed in general is not my mistake sorry:o

Although the Bichon Frise descended from the Barbet or Water Spaniel and the Standard Poodle is also a mixed breed is recognized by the Kennel Club.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/179
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    angustay wrote: »
    It did not cost my friend anything for the dog it was left to him and was already insured he just updated the policy. His papers are legit but is a rare case something to do with both parents being a rare bloodline or something like that. His dog is recognized but the breed in general is not my mistake sorry:o

Although the Bichon Frise descended from the Barbet or Water Spaniel and the Standard Poodle is also a mixed breed is recognized by the Kennel Club.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/179

I'll eat my hat if the KC recognize or register this dog or any crossbreed. He may have papers but anyone can print them out on a computer, and anyway if he's bred from a KC reg lab and poodle, they will have papers, copying the details to another paper would be very easy.

Almost all breeds have a mixed heritage way back but to even be considered as a pedigree dog they need to have produced at least 5 line bred generations to breed standard. Even then it will take a hell of a long time before they get recognized. Dogue de bordeaux for example only became a KC breed in 1997

As for insurance, maybe you have your wires crossed. I would think this dog is insured for vet treatment up to £6,500 NOT the dog being insured for that amount. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I agree that people are crossing dogs that have no Purpose but the cockapoo is somthing diffrent, i have just come back from america been to a top cockapoo kennel and have booked 2 off a top kennel. The Breed Standards are owned by the Kennel Club, and all changes are subject to approval by the Kennel Club General Committee. New Breed Standards, for newly recognised breeds, are drawn up once the breed has become sufficiently established within the UK. Careful research is conducted into the historical background, health and temperament of any new breed before Kennel Club recognition is granted. The Kennel Club currently recognises 210 breeds. Upon recognition, breeds are placed on the Imported Breed Register until they are deemed eligible for transferral to the Breed Register. i myself and other are keeping a data base on this breed also the american club are working with us please have a look http://www.cockapooclub.com/ yes there are breeders and breeders the unscrupulous breeders are the people to watch breeders who do no health tests and put any dog to any bitch. we have these people in all breeds of dogs. i do not agree with crossing all sorts but the cockapoo will be reconized in the uk. it takes time and good breeders to make this happen. we are all not in it for money have you ever heard of passion for a breed? and without people like us we would not of had a lot of breeds reconized.The Cockapoo Club of America have a book on Cockapoos
    Written by the founder of the CCA Mary D. Foley. so before you judge remember the Cockapoos have been known in the United States since about 1950 and the americans are far more Advanced. Remember when bying a cockapoo from a reputable dog breeder they will have OPTIGEN eye tested parents.Good dog breeders are usually dedicated enthusiasts of a particular breed, their only aim in producing a litter being to improve and better their breed in terms of temperament, health and conformation. You will find the best dog breeders have spent years upon years studying their chosen breed (normally after years of owning them!) learning about canine genetics, health and behaviour and, when they are confident they are up to the job, researching everything involved with dog breeding
    Dog Breeders - the who, what and where guide! Essential reading for anyone looking for a breeder - especially if you want to help avoid heartache further down the line!

Good dog breeders are usually dedicated enthusiasts of a particular breed, their only aim in producing a litter being to improve and better their breed in terms of temperament, health and conformation. This is achieved by selecting only the best, most suitable male (stud dog) to mate with the most suitable female of that particular breed. However, it’s not as simple as it may sound and all breeders are not equal. Buying a pup from an unethical breeder can end in tears, so please read on to discover more about the often murky world of dog breeders.

Dedication

You will find the best dog breeders have spent years upon years studying their chosen breed (normally after years of owning them!) learning about canine genetics, health and behaviour and, when they are confident they are up to the job, researching everything involved with dog breeding from mating and whelping to rearing litters to finding good homes and supporting the new owners should the need arise. Good dog breeders are normally themselves mentored by other good breeders who are often even more experienced and knowledgeable about the chosen breed.

Unethical Dog Breeders
    They rarely test their breeding stock for ailments and disease meaning pups may be born with certain diseases or have an increased predisposition to such diseases or other illnesses. If you buy from a puppy farmer, they win, you lose - they are happy with the money they make, but you cry the tears when your poorly-bred pup has to be put to sleep 6 months down the line because of a disease it contracted or was born with due to the puppy farmer not bothering to health test the parents. The best way to stop unethical breeders is to not buy from them – if they stop making money they’ll stop breeding and the chain of misery is broken.

Anyway let’s get back to good dog breeders. Ethical breeders, as they are generally referred to, are the complete opposite of the unethical dog breeders we just talked about. Ethical breeders can invest thousands of pounds acquiring the best possible ‘stock’, sometimes even going to the expense of travelling abroad to view that stock on numerous occasions. They will also spend a great deal of money and time in owning, showing and learning as much as humanly possible about their chosen breed as well as studying all aspects of breeding and taking time off work to look after the litter when they are born. It’s not uncommon to find that the good, ethical dog breeders rarely make much money from breeding, because they generally invest all they have (and sometimes lots they don’t!) in the breeding and bettering of the breed they love.

How to find a good Dog Breeder?

So where do you find a good dog breeder? First you should research your chosen breed as much as possible, and pay particular attention to anything which is specific to your breed – especially which illnesses it may be prone to and what health tests are recommended Having a good background knowledge about your breed will make it easier for you to tell which breeders are devoted experts and which ones are not. Ask lots of questions of any breeder you contact, and don’t be afraid to try to catch them out about health tests etc – the good breeders really won’t mind such questions, in fact they will appreciate the fact that you have gone to the trouble to learn about the breed you are considering bringing into your life. REMEMBER ASK. A GOOD BREEDER WONT MIND.Most good dog breeders have a waiting list so be prepared to wait for a pup. Consequently you rarely find these dog breeders ‘advertising’ puppies for sale either in free-ad type papers or other printed publications Also a good breeder will always have a contract stating puppies are sold on the understanding that they will be returned to them if they need to be rehomed whatever the reason and age.Unfortunately there is little legislation to protect you when buying from unethical breeders, so you really do need to spend that extra bit of time before going out and buying a pup – it may help ensure your dog is healthier and happier in the long run, and could save you a lot of money and heartache too.and it will stop the unethical breeders.
    Forum Member
    I agree that people are crossing dogs that have no Purpose but the cockapoo is somthing diffrent, i have just come back from america been to a top cockapoo kennel and have booked 2 off a top kennel. The Breed Standards are owned by the Kennel Club, and all changes are subject to approval by the Kennel Club General Committee. New Breed Standards, for newly recognised breeds, are drawn up once the breed has become sufficiently established within the UK.

I'm sure the UK Kennel Club will be very interested to hear that they are on the verge of recognising yet another crossbreed :rolleyes: There are as many (probably far, far more) producers of crossbreeds in the US as there are in the UK. Just think how much money you could have saved if you had bought your pets in the UK ;) I would love to know what the purpose of breeding these 'cocker poos' is? Are they gundogs, utility dogs or pets???
  • currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We called them mongrels when I was a kid!
    Forum Member
    currykev wrote: »

I was trying to avoid the term 'mongrel' currykev. Don't want to upset anyone (especially someone who has shelled out a load of spondulicks for one ;))
  • McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of all these new crosses either, poor buggers.

Glad I picked the breeder I did and was on the search for one for months. Had to travel a good 6 hour round trip mind, but all well worth it.

Got invited in to where all the dogs are kept, very clean and a got guided tour of the family. First of all the parents and then the grandparents who were getting a bit old. They then took us to see the pups, show certificates and all the like, had a chat and that was about it. The hip scores throughout the history of the breed were all fantastic as well :D

I was really impressed with it all, and even had this tranquil music on in the kennel place for the new born ones.

Labrador from Kent area.
  • JaxxfanJaxxfan Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digami wrote: »
    Can people please stop buying these crossbreds (Cockapoos, chugs, cavaschons, jackapoos to name but a few) for stupid money from smug con-people?

Thank you. :)

Mind your own business and stop telling people what we can or can't do :mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaxxfan wrote: »
    Mind your own business and stop telling people what we can or can't do :mad::mad:

I'm not telling anyone what they can or can't do. I'm just trying to stop people getting ripped off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not telling anyone what they can or can't do. I'm just trying to stop people getting ripped off.

I'm a big girl and I can decide for myself, thank you very much :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big girl and I can decide for myself, thank you very much :)

Ok, if you want to pay £650 for a crossbred with a fancy name, that a couple of years ago would have cost you next to nothing, be my guest but you are facilitating puppy producers who are in it for the wonga.

People, if you go to get a puppy and they are kept in outdoor kennels, 99% of the time they are being bred for the money. If you go to a breeder who has the bitch as a family pet then you know that breeder is reputable.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    currykev wrote: »

So did we. "Our Mongy" springs to mind.

Australians call them "Bitsers".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So did we. "Our Mongy" springs to mind.

Australians call them "Bitsers".

Technically, crossbreds are a cross between two pedigree breeds and with a mongrel, it is more indeterminable as to their parentage - heinz 57!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, if you want to pay £650 for a crossbred with a fancy name, that a couple of years ago would have cost you next to nothing, be my guest but you are facilitating puppy producers who are in it for the wonga.

People, if you go to get a puppy and they are kept in outdoor kennels, 99% of the time they are being bred for the money. If you go to a breeder who has the bitch as a family pet then you know that breeder is reputable.

Can you possibly be any more patronising? :mad::mad:

(FYI, my dog cost me nowhere near £650 and even if he did, that would be my choice.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you possibly be any more patronising? :mad::mad:

(FYI, my dog cost me nowhere near £650 and even if he did, that would be my choice.)

Look, calm down dear. I'm not trying to patronise anyone either. There are a lot of uninformed people out there who think that they are buying a 'breed' and therefore think nothing of paying a high price for them. Your crossbred might not have cost £650 but there are many breeders who charge that and more, and they are basically ripping people off.

If people want to pay up to say £200 (and even that is steep) for a crossbred then fair enough. I'm genuinely just trying to help people save their hard earned cash. I have a feeling all the angry faces are because you too have paid over the odds for a dog which, a few years ago, you might have even acquired for free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just watched Youtube videos on puppy farms, I can't understand stepping over an animal in need to get to one you "want". The Welsh puppy farms are churning out these mixed fashionable dogs and their parents are living in inhumane conditions.

As one of the posters put, Ill do what I want and don't tell me what to do:rolleyes: Its a pity the animals don't get the luxury of choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunny55 wrote: »
    As one of the posters put, Ill do what I want and don't tell me what to do:rolleyes: Its a pity the animals don't get the luxury of choice.

So true, i abhor the disposable animal culture we have today. I get so sick of people I know posting on FB 'anyone know of anyone selling .... puppies? And then getting one the next day, only for them to give them away when they get sick of them or they aren't cute anymore.

Jaxxfan, you said you can decide for yourself so why did you decide on a designer dog? What did you feel one could give you that a standard pedigree or a plain old rescue couldn't?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaxxfan, you said you can decide for yourself so why did you decide on a designer dog? What did you feel one could give you that a standard pedigree or a plain old rescue couldn't?

We wanted a cocker spaniel but my husband and son have hayfever and other allergies, so we got a cockerpoo for its non-shedding coat. It's been very successful and she is a gorgeous little dog whom we all love to pieces. We wanted the right dog for us and the 'designer dog' label meant nothing to us.

She cost us £250 which is the same, if not less, than a pedigree cocker would have been.

I get defensive because one thing that gets my goat is self-righteous people who think they know it all and feel they have to bestow their vast knowledge on the rest of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We wanted a cocker spaniel but my husband and son have hayfever and other allergies, so we got a cockerpoo for its non-shedding coat. It's been very successful and she is a gorgeous little dog whom we all love to pieces. We wanted the right dog for us and the 'designer dog' label meant nothing to us.

She cost us £250 which is the same, if not less, than a pedigree cocker would have been.

I get defensive because one thing that gets my goat is self-righteous people who think they know it all and feel they have to bestow their vast knowledge on the rest of us.

That's what forums are for. ;)

To be fair, you didn't pay as much as some people do but still a high price for a cross bred. It's not that I'm ordering people to not buy these dogs. My beef is mainly with the breeders who are extorting money out of unwitting people. You say you chose your cross bred for its non-shedding coat but not all cross breds end up as intended. That can never be guarenteed. There are also many non-shedding pedigrees that could be bought for not much more than £250.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love crossbreeds, prefer them any day!