Channels Showing Full Widescreen Films

Comments

• DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dar W wrote: »
    The Guns Of Navarone showing on BBC2 now in its original ratio

I meant to mention that earlier. I'd like to hope that of the remaining main broadcasters still to completely commit to this, that one or all of the BBC, ITV and Five actually make the effort to source the correct versions of films as often as possible (like C4 did) and not just when their contracts are up for renewal.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Studios should insist that films are shown in their original aspect ratio when they sell them.

And shown uncut!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    And shown uncut!

Well, they have Ofcom to deal with, who generally just seem to do little more for films than allow what the BBFC have passed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly for C4, their showing of Annie has just reverted to 16:9 after the credits. I thought they'd shown this in 2.35:1 before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC2 currently showing the 1963 film The Cardinal in 2.35:1.
  • Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,577
    Forum Member
    On BBC1 now in 2.35:1 :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian is in 2.35:1 on BBC1, even after the opening credits.

Cars was cropped to 16:9 earlier, though. Don't know about HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mission To Mars currently showing in 2.35:1 on ITV4.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Mission To Mars currently showing in 2.35:1 on ITV4.

Oh that's a shame I would have recorded it if I had known, I've got the 16:9 version.

I'm watching on ITV4+1 and the Dog hasn't got the +1 on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh that's a shame I would have recorded it if I had known, I've got the 16:9 version.

I'm watching on ITV4+1 and the Dog hasn't got the +1 on it.

According to Digiguide, it's on again on Boxing Day at 6.45pm and on New Year's Day at 11.20am. Is it a good film, then? It hasn't had a good rating on IMDB (5.2/10, I think). Sounds like it's full of cliches.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to Digiguide, it's on again on Boxing Day at 6.45pm and on New Year's Day at 11.20am. Is it a good film, then? It hasn't had a good rating on IMDB (5.2/10, I think). Sounds like it's full of cliches.

It's the ending I like to watch. A nice idea if it was real.

Thanks 4 the info btw have set a recording.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed Cars on BBC ONE was in 1.85:1 instead of 2.40:1 even on the HD channel. RTE TWO are interestingly showing Ratatouille in 4:3, surely a broadcasting error...!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the ending I like to watch. A nice idea if it was real.

Thanks 4 the info btw have set a recording.

Me too. Will give it a try :)
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Noticed Cars on BBC ONE was in 1.85:1 instead of 2.40:1 even on the HD channel. RTE TWO are interestingly showing Ratatouille in 4:3, surely a broadcasting error...!

Is that going to be on BBC1 soon? I'm sure I saw that in the listings, but I can't find it.

On BBC2 at the moment though, the drama Whistle And I'll Come To You, with John Hurt. They've shot it in 2.35:1 like A Song For Lunch a few months back.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are animated films usually shown in 2.35.1, I know the likes of Ice Age and Horton Hears a Who! are made in 16:9 but I remember Monster House on Five being 2.35.1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Are animated films usually shown in 2.35.1, I know the likes of Ice Age and Horton Hears a Who! are made in 16:9 but I remember Monster House on Five being 2.35.1.

Like any film, it depends on the director.

BTW, Chronicles of Narnia: Lion, Witch, Wardrobe currently on BBC3 in 2.35:1. Maybe the BBC are finally getting a clue from C4.
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think with the screening of quite a few films in their correct ratios in peaktime ,with even kids and daytime movies too that the message has finally got through to the broadcasters.

Hopefully over the next couple of years as licences expire and channels get new copies of movies we should eventually see most movies in their intended ratio and the end of pandering to the proles.

Shame that the general HD quality of BBC1HD is so poor
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »

The Incredibles is currently on BBC1 in 2.35:1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    The Incredibles is currently on BBC1 in 2.35:1

I recorded it on the off-chance before I went out so will look forward to that later. It's also on BBC3 on Sunday at 7pm, and on Jan 8th and 8.50pm.

Also, on ITV now is Happy Feet in 2.35:1, and starting in a moment on ITV+1 (details how to get it on Sky in this thread). Sadly, ITV+1 has a logo but it'll be in the black bars: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1409597
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we have the advent of ITV1HD to thank for the increase in movies in their correct ratio.

Last Xmas I doubt that an afternoon cartoon movie would have been aired in 2.35:1 by ITV1.

Although they did compromise that slightly on analogue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss Potter, with Renee Zellwegger, currently showing on BBC2 in 2.35:1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hard Rain currently showing on BBC1 in 2.35:1. BBC are just about getting it, but not 100% there.
    Forum Member
    Hard Rain currently showing on BBC1 in 2.35:1. BBC are just about getting it, but not 100% there.

Beat me to it - again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    Beat me to it - again!

Hehe :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A possible heads-up for two BBC1 dramas, and normally I wouldn't expect them to be filmed in 2.35:1 but we've had Whistle & I'll Come To You and The Song of Lunch, on BBC2, but I've seen clips of Toast (tonight on BBC1 at 9pm) which is a BBC Film and the clips are in 2.35:1.

Also, the trailer I saw for Zen, a series of 90-min dramas on BBC1, 9pm Sundays, was in 2.35:1. The clips shown on Breakfast today was in 16:9 so it could've just been for artiness on the trailer but as much as I love films in 2.35:1, it would seem a bit odd to do it for regular dramas.

Oh, and Dances With Wolves is in at 12.55pm today on BBC2. The last two times (at Xmas/New Year, in fact) they've shown that it has been in 2.35:1. The segments I've seen of it don't look like it's been cut, either, even though it's a 12-cert film showing in the middle of the afternoon. Could be a case of 'everyone watching it knows what to expect so any bits of violence remain'.
    Forum Member
    Dances With Wolves is indeed in 2.35:1