The One Ronnie - Christmas Day - 17:10 - BBC1

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I loved the greengrocer sketch. For some reason, watching actors/comedians struggle to keep straight faces makes it even funnier :o

The rest was absolutely dire, though.
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watched first half of it due to travelling about but I enjoyed it for what it's worth. Unchallenging and fun.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    This vindicates what I said on another thread about RC. If RB was still alive these comics would be clamouring to work with him and not RC.

RC is seen as a comedy legend because he has outlived most of his peers. Mind you, he is excellent at delivering well-written lines so I think the writing leaves a lot to be desired.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brain off doddery comedy

Nothing too interesting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    This was awful, had to turn it off.
  • ajdcbgajdcbg Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makes me laugh when i see people call something dire and rubbish , yet they turned it off after 10 minutes:confused::rolleyes::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I thought the greengrocer sketch was funny and expected the show to build on this promising start, but it was awful. A shame that someone who has contributed to a large amount of great British comedy might be remembered by many for this rubbish.
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.wr.a.i.n.b.o.w Posts: 9,705
    Forum Member
    I thought it was OK, typical 1970s Saturday night comedy, bit like Paul Burling the other day. brought back memories of what weekend progs were like when I was a kid. The writing on The One Ronnie was mainly pretty sharp, I enjoyed 90% of it.

Particularly liked "Eggsbox 3.60", "Frankenstein" and ESPECIALLY the biscuit sketch with Miranda Hart. The punchline was obvious, but the writing, acting and comic timing was spot on.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    RB was the funnier of the two IMO, a very clever and funny guy (and he wrote most lots of the Two Ronnies stuff) but there was some funny stuff here which I think RB would have enjoyed, Opticians Restaurant, the quiz show sketch and especially Eggs Box 360 :D
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    ajdcbg wrote: »
    makes me laugh when i see people call something dire and rubbish , yet they turned it off after 10 minutes:confused::rolleyes::D

But if they watched it to the end you would be saying "if you didn't like then you should have turned it off".
  • ajdcbgajdcbg Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    But if they watched it to the end you would be saying "if you didn't like then you should have turned it off".

no i wouldn't:)
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty grim it has to be said - couple of half decent efforts but mainly very unfunny and uninteresting sketches with no punchline at the end ... if it had been the other way around I could have lived with the bad uns quite easily.:(
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The greengrocer sketch had me laughing, but the rest of the first half was poor. Easy TV to nod off to, though, and the second half allowed me a nice post-dinner nap before Dr. Who came on.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I think he should have signed off "It's goodnight from me... and it's goodnight from them" or something like that, indicating his mates and/or the audience.
  • Dan06Dan06 Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greengrocer and opticians sketches were pretty funny, rest was pretty bad.
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously not made as a Christmas special so BBC must have felt it warranted showing today.
    I thought it was ok.Not expecting a lot so not disappointed.
  • 001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was really hoping for better. :cry:

It was a nice idea and could have worked but it was let down by generally weak writing and very poor production values.

Delighted that Ronnie still "has it" but the current crop of so called comedians were pretty dismal.

It also looked like it had been recorded in the smallest studio they could find (with about two dozen members of the auidience) and the same set was used time and time again.
    Surely the BBC could have pushed the boat out a bit more. When you compare it with the original 70's and 80's shows it was regrettably a pale imitation and it it may have been best not to have bothered.
  • ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw parts of it, the quiz show, What? had me in hysterics :D
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    James Corden is one of those great mysteries of the western world.
    Oh lord, with all the comedians included in this programme, I am dismayed to hear this actor's in it.
    RC is seen as a comedy legend because he has outlived most of his peers. Mind you, he is excellent at delivering well-written lines so I think the writing leaves a lot to be desired.
    I think you're right there, RC had more of the brilliance (sp?) in his timing and delivery, whereas RB had his in the writing and delivery too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Said it would be rubbish, sat through it all with a low expectation, and was still disappointed, utter garbage. Those who were involved in writing this should quit.
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no expectations. I was mildly amused throughout, laughed out loud once (at the pay off of the Frankenstein sketch) but was entertained for 50 minutes and glad that I watched it. I fail to understand what people who were disappointed expected of this enterprise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ajdcbg wrote: »

Would you expect someone to watch it through to the end if they didn't like it? No one does that, and people still manage to have opinions about shows they don't like. I'm not going to watch a whole show if I've hated the first 10 minutes and I doubt you could find anyone who would.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I rather enjoyed it ..... remember the " fork handles " sketch was only as funny as it was due to Ronnie C's timing and ability to get the laughs from the audience.

Rather like Ernie Wise ..... the straight man has to do his job right for the overtly funny one to shine. And that takes skill.

Happy Birthday Ronnie C ..... a national treasure.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope that the rest of the show approaches that quality, & it's not the only sketch worth the air-time; keeping my fingers crossed the rest will be at least approach that,

Eggs box 360. Snork!

just watching this on iplayer now:p:p

very funny:p:p:D
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this show so there must be something wrong with me. The whole family ranging from 65 to 8 years old were roaring with laughter and it was good to have something that we could watch that had no nastiness or vulgarity. The Songs of Praise sketch was particularly good.