• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Agreed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have had sky for 13 months new, new install and i initially had an amstrad box which for some reason conflicted with my hd telly and was replaced 12 mths ago with a thomson box.

should i be complaining that i was given an obsolete box??
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I'd keep pushing and maybe send those emails to the MD - as for all the problems Thomson box owners have had to endure (and for longer than most), Sky ought to really bend over backwards.
    Only some Thomson owners! Mine has been (and still is!) rock-solid (since June 2007). With a 1Tb HDD I would not change it!
    Given Virgin is about to start pushing TiVo, which is a gazillion times better than Sky+, Sky really want as many people tied to a contract as possible right now. If I had cable, I'd be leaving Sky tomorrow for TiVo.
    Pay £200 for something I will never own PLUS extra rental - No thanks! TiVo was awesome 10 years ago - now I would rather do its clever bits on the PC!
  • Options
    Dave_HertsDave_Herts Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Sky are taking you for mugs, they dont care, quite happy to take your money and let you subsidise everyone else's Anytime+. The grass is far far greener with VM
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave_Herts wrote: »
    Sky are taking you for mugs, they dont care, quite happy to take your money and let you subsidise everyone else's Anytime+. The grass is far far greener with VM

i know that as i was with them for 8 yrs (formerly telewest) until i moved house and there is no cable in the area.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Pay £200 for something I will never own PLUS extra rental - No thanks! TiVo was awesome 10 years ago - now I would rather do its clever bits on the PC!

I can accept the PC argument if you're so set up to do so, but TiVo is so far ahead that I'd happily pay the £3 fee, plus the cost of the box.

So I don't own the box? No big deal for me, given that I've accumulated a number of Sky+ boxes over the years and they've got virtually nil resale value and nothing worth salvaging (a slow 320MB HDD that has been working 24/7 for years??!).

I quite like the idea that when the next amazing box comes out, I simply swap it over - especially if Virgin will repair/replace it during the hire period instead of asking me for a £65 call out charge or a high price for a refurbed box (or a hefty insurance premium).

Anyway, I don't have cable so I'm stuck with my Sky box for the forseeable future. I just hope TiVo does blindingly well this time around (and, IMO, even ten years on a Series 1 TiVo has a better EPG than Sky ever will) and kicks Sky into doing something. I don't hold out much hope though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    <rant>

Pretty annoyed with sky tbh (nothing new there). What grinds my gears is: we have 1 HD box, 1 Sky+ box & 1 sky digi, Telephone, internet & all subs except sport. Over 100 notes a month. Early adopters too, hence being lumbered with this crappy thomson box. stuck on 8.3.2 or 4, cant remember

The Bast**ds don't mind phoning once a week to try and get us to hand over our line rental to them. Funnily enough when I question them regarding anytime+ they cant get off the line quick enough.

I don't think its unreasonable when paying over a ton a month in subs to be offered decent fuppin hardware to run it on.

</rant>
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    s1ndr0me wrote: »
    <rant>

Pretty annoyed with sky tbh (nothing new there). What grinds my gears is: we have 1 HD box, 1 Sky+ box & 1 sky digi, Telephone, internet & all subs except sport. Over 100 notes a month. Early adopters too, hence being lumbered with this crappy thomson box. stuck on 8.3.2 or 4, cant remember

The Bast**ds don't mind phoning once a week to try and get us to hand over our line rental to them. Funnily enough when I question them regarding anytime+ they cant get off the line quick enough.

I don't think its unreasonable when paying over a ton a month in subs to be offered decent fuppin hardware to run it on.

</rant>

couldn't agree more sky thinks nothing of customer retention just new customers. They have no major competitors and so were held to ransom if we choose to watch premium channels .Could someone explain the the reason why mobile phone companies offer discount or new phones every 12-18-24 months but sky doesn't offer anything. The reason no competion !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Mass complaint soon?
  • Options
    DrProzacDrProzac Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    I'm starting to get sick of my box now, and the constant break up of HD Channels.

The SKY 1 HD and SKY ATLANTIC HD are Really bad.
    Picture blocks, freezes and the like.

The PSU is already upgraded, but would a HDD Replacement make any difference?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anytime+ on Thomson isn't looking good, no official update at all!

All Sky CS can do is say it will happen sometime!

Customers don't like to hear that, trust me! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    After tracking this thread for quite some time, I thought the time had come to tell you guys what happened. I firstly registered for the service notification when i received an email about it. I rang sky to see what was going on - in December, and I was told that i would receive the service by end of jan. So, I rang up sky and complained, got 25% off the tv bill for 12 months, and get a hd amstrad box for free to go where the toshiba one goes. I still get to keep the toshiba, meaning I've saved another £200 :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    After tracking this thread for quite some time, I thought the time had come to tell you guys what happened. I firstly registered for the service notification when i received an email about it. I rang sky to see what was going on - in December, and I was told that i would receive the service by end of jan. So, I rang up sky and complained, got 25% off the tv bill for 12 months, and get a hd amstrad box for free to go where the toshiba one goes. I still get to keep the toshiba, meaning I've saved another £200 :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Phoned sky today and asked when the sky anytime + update was due for my Thomson box, my orginal Amstrad Hd box i got in Decmeber 2009 was replaced by a Thomson refreb after it broke March 2010. Sky got me to do a forced software update and waited with me on the phone until this was complete and asked me to read out the software number, he then went on to tell me that my box was incompatable for anytime + and offered me two choices, replace it for free with another referb but he couldnt tell me which make box i would get or replace it with a brand new Amstrad box for £30. So on Saturday sky are coming round to fit me a new box and hook me up to anytime+ as well as moving my thomson box upstairs and putting in a second line so i can use the sky+ on my muliti room set up, they also said the would give me ultimate broadband for free for the next 6 months even though i was already paying for it so i spend £30 for a new box and second line instalation upstairs and then saved £60 on my broadband thats what i call a result and all i did was phone the cancelation department to ask when i was getting anytime+
  • Options
    MatLCFCMatLCFC Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    You should call for me. I got told to jog on.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Firthy2002 wrote: »
    Anytime+ on Thomson isn't looking good, no official update at all!

All Sky CS can do is say it will happen sometime!

Customers don't like to hear that, trust me! ;)
    I do!!!:D

My Thomson box is currently rock-solid and I don't want Sky messing with it - especially until Anytime+ includes HD content!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    I do!!!:D

My Thomson box is currently rock-solid and I don't want Sky messing with it - especially until Anytime+ includes HD content!

Ditto!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Got to agree with BKM and MSS - My Thomson works superbly and hasn't missed a beat since it was upgraded! Although I'm wanting the Anytime+ feature, last thing I need are the horror stories that seem to accompany some users who have had their boxes updated with the new software!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    could someone please define what early 2011 means ?
    This is the quote that sky gave reagrding the rollout of anytime plus for Thomson and other boxes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    We have multi-room and both were thomson boxes. They had to be replaced and i got anytime+ straight away.The engineer told me they could not handle the new software so i don't think they will be updated
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am of the opinion that even if they could run the new software, it will be a painfully slow user experience. It's great that I could keep my Thomson box for many years without hassle now the PSU has been upgraded, but it will always have the dog slow EPG and HDD issues.

At some point I will upgrade my last Thomson box to a 1.5TB box as it's so much quicker, as well as obviously having loads more storage. Of course it still crashes, but that's a Sky thing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hi Guy's just reveied this email fro sky ref Anytime + on a Thompson Box
    "I have had a look into your account and have noticed that you have a Thompson HD box, this box type is compatible with the Anytime+ service but at the present time it does not have the required software as this is still within it's testing phase at the moment. The software is being released in phases to all latest Sky+ and all Sky+ HD boxes. We do not have a timescale of when the software will be released. If you have registered for Anytime+ on www.sky.com/anytimeplus we will contact you when you are able to receive the service.

I hope this helps with your enquiry.

Thanks

John

Sky Help Centre
    "
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standard fob-off then
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest whispers on the sky grapevine is that thomson's will not get the anytime+ software and customers will be given 2 choices.

1. A brand new pvr5 (amstrad 500gb) for free with free standard setup.

or

2. A 1tb box for £149 with free standard setup.

The thomson box will be required to be sent back so in effect it will be a box swap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    500gb swap out? can they make that option available to us amstrad users?! Sounds like a cracking deal!