Skyfall In Imax

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
Forum Member
The IMAX release of SKYFALL will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The crystal-clear images coupled with IMAX’s customized theatre geometry and powerful digital audio create a unique environment that will make audiences feel as if they are in the movie.

Cant see this discussed, so apologies if it has,, worth it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    planthead wrote: »
    Cant see this discussed, so apologies if it has,, worth it?

I've seen quite a few IMAX conversions and they've all been worth it in terms of being superior to watching them on a regular cinema screen. Prometheus was a conversion and it looked superb, especially with the 3D. I see no reason why Skyfall will be any less worth it. Given the choice between IMAX and a regular screening, i go for the IMAX everytime.

I've got my Skyfall IMAX ticket booked already:D (now i just wonder how big the earplugs will have to be in order to block out Adele's droning through the IMAX speakers for 4 minutes...:p).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    LOL, Cheers, you made my mind up, mainly for my son as this will be his first Bond at the movies,, he is 13...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just saw Resident Evil Retribution in IMAX today. The plot sucked. Action was above average. But the most notable thing I realised and was extremely pleased with: the picture quality was brilliant!!!

I know this film is no Dark Knight Rises (almost half of which was shot in IMAX) for scale/quality but it looked pin sharp and much better than it would ever have done on conventional 35mm screening.

So, I think Skyfall will be alright in IMAX.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Not been IMAX in a while, I think the last movie I watched in IMAX was Avatar. After that, everything else just seems pointless.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first time I experienced the IMAX experience was when I saw Transformers 3 & was totally taken aback by the sound & picture quality. For the basic cinema releases like American Reunion, I would go to to my local Vue as it is quite cheap at certain times, but for films like Transformers 3, Dark Knight Rises & most recently Resident Evil Retribution, only the IMAX experience will do. I just checked my points balance on my Odeon card & turns out that I have enough for an IMAX ticket, so am highly tempted to use that on Skyfall. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Mandysoo wrote: »
    Not been IMAX in a while, I think the last movie I watched in IMAX was Avatar. After that, everything else just seems pointless.

How so? Avatar wasn't even filmed in IMAX, so to write off other IMAX films (even conversions) seems a bit rash. I bet Avatar on the IMAX looked amazing, but that doesn't mean that other films can't look equally as good, particularly something like The Dark Knight Rises which was partly filmed in the format. As i mentioned before, Prometheus looked absolutely stunning in IMAX 3D, i'd hardly call seeing either TDKR or Prometheus in IMAX "pointless".
  • deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd watch the weather in IMAX! Love it.

That said, I've only ever been to the Manchester one, which is a full size screen. Not sure if I'd be impressed as much with a smaller IMAX screen.
  • mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw Skyfall in a digital (lie)MAX the other day. The image was of course big, and mostly OK, but nothing like as impressive as scenes shot with true IMAX cameras. And the other images (adverts, trailers) showed quite frequent pixellation.

It was an experiment to see if films converted to IMAX are worth it, and based on this I don't think they are. The sound was outstanding as usual, but other than that I don't think I'd have missed out seeing it in a normal theatre, apart from a bit of decidedly optional headroom.