David Bowie Announces New Album

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Having listened to the whole song again, his singing ability has almost certainly gone, at least on this evidence. Either the song was too high for him, or he can't sing anymore. The sad thing is, Bowie will be in danger of being remembered for this song in future years. .his big comeback song after years of being in the musical wilderness, not for all the really quite good stuff he did in the 70s and 80s.

The whole album will of course be the judge, not on his ability to compose songs, but on his current ability to sing.

I think, if a voice is almost gone it can be in bad way(Bob Dylan)

or in a good way (Jonny Cash)

By David, I tend to the second.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has happened to change his mind, we were told at the olympic games david would never sing again

so now are we going to see a world tour £££££££ mega big buck for david, if he does tour
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    What has happened to change his mind, we were told at the olympic games david would never sing again

so now are we going to see a world tour £££££££ mega big buck for david, if he does tour

Although I would love to see him tour (again) I'm just happy that he's releasing new music

The new song is growing on me
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure we will get another tour, the last one almost killed him. I do have hope however and if he announced a tour I would go crazy just trying to secure tickets! :)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    I'm not sure we will get another tour, the last one almost killed him. I do have hope however and if he announced a tour I would go crazy just trying to secure tickets! :)

You and me both - haven't missed one yet and would hate to miss a new one
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I didn't like it i'm afraid. It's ok but its missing something. But then, I've never been a fan of the Berlin albums personally :o
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Radio Two have played it in every show, although I only heard it once and didn't think much of it. A case of...if it wasn't him doing it, it wouldn't make the playlist.

Lets hope the rest of the album is better!
  • urt31urt31 Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »

The retirement thing was never actually stated, his management have always maintained that he would release music when he chose to.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always admired David Bowie but more as a fashion and gay/bisexual icon. I know this is kind of sacrireligious but his actual music has never really grabbed me that much. Maybe it's not my thing.
    This song isn't going to change my mind too much. It's very tasteful but kind of dull. I know a lot of people love those kind of raw raspy aged vocals, but I really don't like that kind of thing. It hurts my ears.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Radio Two have played it in every show, although I only heard it once and didn't think much of it. A case of...if it wasn't him doing it, it wouldn't make the playlist.

Lets hope the rest of the album is better!

Yep, Chris Evans, Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine and Steve Wright all played it today.

Heard it 4 times now and im not keen on it, i consider myself quite a bit Bowie fan and this is just ..... wrong?
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a god. :) I've been out walking today and have loads of music to listen to and the ones I always go back to are Bowie.

A local radio presenter today was saying he had lost his voice, his appeal, was too old etc. What the hell does he know? Bowie and Sting are the only 2 older stars who have aged well, they are timeless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    He's a god. :) I've been out walking today and have loads of music to listen to and the ones I always go back to are Bowie.

A local radio presenter today was saying he had lost his voice, his appeal, was too old etc. What the hell does he know? Bowie and Sting are the only 2 older stars who have aged well, they are timeless.

Tom Jones?
  • LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie is one of my favourite artists, but I don't like this new single at all. Far too depressing.
    I hope some of the album tracks are better.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the woman sharing the puppet in the video is Bjork!!
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will we see him back doing some gigs, promos and stuff for TV and Radio?.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Dave! leave it now!
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's lovely. Great surprise to start the day, too.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The video is not my cup of tea but the song is undeniably a good song. The trouble is, it's just too depressing for me so I don't think I'd actually want to listen to it again. I like deeper and darker music, but Where Are We Now? would make me worry for the person's mental state if it was any other singer - it's that much of a downer. :eek:
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The video is not my cup of tea but the song is undeniably a good song. The trouble is, it's just too depressing for me so I don't think I'd actually want to listen to it again. I like deeper and darker music, but Where Are We Now? would make me worry for the person's mental state if it was any other singer - it's that much of a downer. :eek:

It's taken this song to get you to worry about Bowie's mental state? :eek:

So, Ziggy Stardust was normal? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    It's taken this song to get you to worry about Bowie's mental state? :eek:

So, Ziggy Stardust was normal? :D

*cough* The Laughing Gnome *cough* :D
  • humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to say this but the song and tracklisting for the new record makes it look like Bowie's "divorce album". Could be wrong though and I hope I am.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the rumours are untrue that he's not ill..
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    *cough* The Laughing Gnome *cough* :D

Lol the laughing gnome was at least a happy little ditty, wasn't bowie 17 when he wrote that? :D

I'm not keen on this new song, it's very boring and down sounding to me just now. The style of it seems too similar to heathen and reality, I couldn't really get into those albums. I'll no doubt listen to it anyway when it comes out, might be pleasantly surprised.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I think it's lovely. Great surprise to start the day, too.

I heard it on R4 too which was a total surprise, so rushed to listen to it. It is a slow burner, I agree but I love it - and those raspy vocals! I take it some don't agree with the Telegraph's review, then?

"Lush, stately, beautifully strange, weaving resonant piano chords, decaying synths and echoing drums around a simple chord progression and a weary, tenderly understated, quietly defiant vocal, David Bowie’s elegiac new single may be the most surprising, perfect and welcome comeback in rock history."
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    This song has really grown on me today. I really like it even if it is depressing. He is a genius in my eyes.