Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking forward to seeing the new series of Vera this weekend

Comments

• Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone has a slightly odd view of what the North East looks and sounds like...
  • Options
    xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was nice of them to add a few token North Easterners'/Geordies into the cast
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    I usually like Brenda Blethyn in most things she's done, but in Vera I can't get past the bad fake accent.
    It would help if she'd at least pronounce her own flippin' surname properly.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the character Vera always this arrogant and patronising, it's slight off putting
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Kenny Doughty in a series again.
    Much missed since Stella.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Kenny Doughty was good, although inevitably I did miss the character of Joe a bit - David Leon is one of the most handsome men I have ever seen on my TV!
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching now on catch up, and I'm finding this episode to be soooo slow.

I'm missing David Leon as well.
  • Options
    johnanjohnan Posts: 3,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much unrequired complication and somehow the mystery and charm of earlier series was missing. Too much talking, too many characters and shots taken in irrelevant locations spoiled it for me.
    Hope it improves or it may end up like the new Midsomer series, quite forgettable.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wonder how many adverts ITV fitted in that programme, I lost count of the number of times I had to press the fast forward button.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not as good as previous series.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I liked it. I picked the right perp early doors too. :)
  • Options
    pat898pat898 Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it but missed Joe :)
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ann Cleeves is one of my favourite writers, and I read the VERA books long before seeing the tv series, & unlike the BBC with the Shetland series, I find ITV have done a pretty good job of sticking to the written stories, and the characters are true to form.

OK - so the accents are not always authentic, and I can well understand how people in the North East must find that annoying. It's as bad as people outside Essex thinking that all Essex people talk (and are as thick as) Joey Essex & the rest of the TOWIE idiots, or Denise van Outen (the way she talks, not that she is thick).

Whatever the faults, I still think it's one of the best Sunday night shows.
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was enjoyable, but I missed Joe and the brunette officer from last series (I forgot her name)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like my cop shows to be remotely realistic and this one aint. :o

Senior Police Officers do not dress like the female tramp off Heartbeat and prance about on cliff tops. :blush:
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vera! Vera! What has become of you?
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember people complaining about the series "The Missing" being slow (which it wasn't)..they had obviously never watched Vera. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind slow paced material if it makes you think, but this just sends me to sleep.
  • Options
    SiulaGrandeSiulaGrande Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Not as good as previous series.

This.
    I dont mind slow but It was boring, and I miss Joe.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was enjoyable, but I missed Joe and the brunette officer from last series (I forgot her name)

Clare Calbraith - played the ex-redcap "Shep" (DS Shepherd)
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    I usually like Brenda Blethyn in most things she's done, but in Vera I can't get past the bad fake accent.
    It would help if she'd at least pronounce her own flippin' surname properly.

I totally agree, her accent is awful. On top of that the character is awful.

Seems ITV think all they have to do is make a detective show and stick anyone in the main role, and use any type of silly character.

What next, Milko (that's his nickname), a former police detective turned milkman who solves crimes in his local village.

OH MY GAWD, ITV just might pick that up. :eek: :D:p
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the same without Joe :(
    And where is Shep?
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the same without Joe :(
    And where is Shep?

'Get down, Shep!' :D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzasI7ZWUe0
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed it, for an easy Sunday night watch, but definately missed Joe - new guy didnt impress, although he may improve over time.
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to know where Shep is.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree, her accent is awful. On top of that the character is awful.

Seems ITV think all they have to do is make a detective show and stick anyone in the main role, and use any type of silly character.

What next, Milko (that's his nickname), a former police detective turned milkman who solves crimes in his local village.

OH MY GAWD, ITV just might pick that up. :eek: :D:p[
    /QUOTE]

Yes, that might work..if Benny Hill was still alive. :)