Golf 2015

Comments

• clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, Jordan Speith is looking like an amazing talent, he could run away this, yes he's had a bit of luck but he's certainly taking advantage of it.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Early days but speith the man to beat so far it seems.

It's not a major Europeans have done that well in in recent years.

I don't see that changing this week
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its looks inevitable that Spieth will win a major eventually, you know he's just way too good not to.

Question is will he do a 'McIlroy' in the hunt for his first major? In the end it didn't perturb McIlroy in the long run as he was just too good a talent meltdown or no meltdown to not win a major and I suspect Spieth is the same, but its getting that first which is the most difficult, and when he does it, and how he does it will tell us a lot more about him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Its looks inevitable that Spieth will win a major eventually, you know he's just way too good not to.

Question is will he do a 'McIlroy' in the hunt for his first major? In the end it didn't perturb McIlroy in the long run as he was just too good a talent meltdown or no meltdown to not win a major and I suspect Spieth is the same, but its getting that first which is the most difficult, and when he does it, and how he does it will tell us a lot more about him.

Agreed he is ridiculously short priced favourite with 3 round to go, so much twists and turns to come.

Paul mcginley taking nonsense apparently it will be a great experience for jamie Donaldson playing with tiger woods.

Yet Donaldson has played a few masters now, perhaps mcginley has forgotten he played in the ryder cup and holed the winning putt:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're showing an awful lot of someone tied 43rd who is driving erratically.

I think for the good of the event it would be better if Woods just missed the cut, yes if he was in contention it would be a big story, but having him hanging around further 2 days hogging half the coverage we really could do without.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Speith leading by 5 others better get a move on
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spieth -12 under. Tiger's -18 record is serious danger here.

Spieth he doesn't need to go for broke now, the others have to, his leads good enough that if he plays just moderately well he's likely to win. He's going to have to do a Rory, which could happen with all the hype surrounding him, in order to mess this up.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it looks like the last 2 rounds may well be non events - Speith is not one of those players that makes many mistakes and when he does he either roles in a long one or get's a decent bounce.

The rest look like they could be playing for 2nd unless they can string together 2 rounds in the mid 60's ...
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    This is looking like it could be a non-event. As a neutral there's nothing worse than someone just cantering away with a major, love a bit of last day drama. That said I'd be delighted if Speith won
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What the hell was McIlroy thinking when hiring that clown as his caddy. It seems like he's not bothered about taking it seriously and winning.
    Forum Member
    What the hell was McIlroy thinking when hiring that clown as his caddy. It seems like he's not bothered about taking it seriously and winning.

You realise that was just a PR stunt for the par 3 event and not the actual tournament right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    This is looking like it could be a non-event. As a neutral there's nothing worse than someone just cantering away with a major, love a bit of last day drama. That said I'd be delighted if Speith won

Yes I hate majors where someone runs away with it, such as looks like this one could be over after 36 unless someone does something quickly 6 in front now
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is incredible from Speith, I knew he could win it but -14 after 36 holes (not even) is unbeliveable. on one of the toughest courses in world golf as well.

This could be similar to Tiger's win in '97 if he carries on like this. :eek:
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    You realise that was just a PR stunt for the par 3 event and not the actual tournament right?

No. I read he was caddying for him at the Masters. Makes more sense it was just a PR stunt.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    There's thunderstorms brewing although not over the course yet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Casey and dustin Johnston to -5 that's good cause I have backed both of them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like mcilroys race is done.

i assume we will go through this pantomime every masters in the future.

i also assume that winning the four will be compared with holding all four as woods did
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I have to admit I'm not a big fan of McIIroy but Sky sports bias of him this week has been unbearable.

Jordan Speith looks odd's on for the green jacket unless something drastic happens, pity I didn't listen to the experts and have him as one of my 3 bets, only Justin Rose can get me some money back if he finishes in the top 5.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McIlroy unravelling now at 3 over and maybe struggling to make the cut.
    Forum Member
    No. I read he was caddying for him at the Masters. Makes more sense it was just a PR stunt.

Ha no only for the Par 3 thankfully. That's only a mess about really before the real action starts Thurs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If dustin Johnston can be within 5 with 36 to go he still has a good chance
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Slight doubt about the round getting finished as there's thunder rumbling all around
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched a superb high def CBS stream and the coverage was far superior to the predictable SKY effort who mainly concentrate on the Europeans (even when they are not at the races) and piss poor features. The American coverage was a lot fairer and they seemed to cover a far bigger pool of players.

God how I will miss the BBC coverage in the open.,
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw that Tiger and Sergio have been paired together for the first time since the 'row'

Guess that will 'necessitate' lots of coverage from the media....

As for the tournament, not sure it's a done deal yet. Dustin Johnson and Justin Rose have the quality to make it a close finish
    Forum Member
    A 60-anything from Spieth today and it's curtains barring an absolute miracle

Has Kaymer US Open 2014 written all over it I feel sadly. And Oosthuizen 2010 at the Open- everyone expected him to collapse eventually but instead it turned into a snoozefest

Love golf but there's nothing worse in my view than a Sunday at a major with absolutely no drama.