Options

Police Could Use Water Cannons On Student Protesters

occyoccy Posts: 65,177
Forum Member
✭✭
The Police could use water cannons to stop student protesters. This would mean the police have lost control if it happened.

Comments

• Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a link please, so I can read the context. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had heard on Sky News that they are considering bringing them in from Belgium if and when other student demo's take place.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`s just a different method of control.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Fascism for you.
  • Options
    Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    Some of them look like they could do with a good shower! :D
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than the protesters turning their hose on the police

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L69HqKno3OI
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good. They lost any right to be listened to and treated with respect long ago, but even more so after attacking the royal vehicle.

They must be stupid if they ever thought the government would cave in on this.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good.

I hope they ensure the water is set at just above zero.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think it would be a good deterrent in this freezing weather (less so in the height of summer). Can you imagine being hours from home, dripping wet and cold and with no means to get home. Because coaches, trains etc would not let them on in that state.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put some shower gel in the water - that would scare the buggers off.
    And give 'em a haircut too.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it would be a good deterrent in this freezing weather (less so in the height of summer). Can you imagine being hours from home, dripping wet and cold and with no means to get home. Because coaches, trains etc would not let them on in that state.

Sounds lke a massive vilolation of human rights to me, and th impetus for a nice influx of hypothermia cases for the other public srvices to deal with/.

But, that wont dampen the fervor of those who just LOVE getting angry at other people getting angry.

Like a dog gone wrong, all chasing tails and chewing feet.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    Sounds lke a massive vilolation of human rights to me, and th impetus for a nice influx of hypothermia cases for the other public srvices to deal with/.

Were you calling it a "violation of human rights" when the Belgian police used water canon on football rioters?

Britain is one of the very few countries in Europe that doesn't use water cannon, CS gas or plastic bullets as a means of crowd control (they have only been used occasionally in Northern Ireland, never on the mainland). We have one of the most restrained police forces in the world - and one of the very few which are unarmed.
  • Options
    LincsDan32LincsDan32 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic move.

Water Cannon, then baton charge the little beggars down.

If that fails, may i suggest in using the Ghurka's as riot control officers. vicious b'stards who won't take any nonsense from some jumped up student with ideas above his/her station
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascism for you.

Massively true.

Very democratic, using measures to stop people protesting against the establishment.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Were you calling it a "violation of human rights" when the Belgian police used water canon on football rioters?

Britain is one of the very few countries in Europe that doesn't use water cannon, CS gas or plastic bullets as a means of crowd control (they have only been used occasionally in Northern Ireland, never on the mainland). We have one of the most restrained police forces in the world - and one of the very few which are unarmed.

Thanks be our police doesnt gas its own citizens :p

The vast majority o protestors was peaceful, water cannons wont do them any favpurs.

I dont care though, It's the weekend and I'm not really prepared to rabbit on about bloody studnts and bloody coppers again all day. :D
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought there was a hose pipe ban on..:p
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I heard this on the news this morning, it's being considered and nothing more at the moment.

What worries me is that the peaceful demonstrators are going to be punished by the actions of the vigilanties, the rent-a-mob brigade, those who take advantage of the situation because they're hooligans, not bona fide students.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMask wrote: »
    I thought there was a hose pipe ban on..:p

I don't think this is likely to contravene it because the water cannon is not directly attached to the mains.
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    I don't think this is likely to contravene it because the water cannon is not directly attached to the mains.

The hose that fills the water cannon is.
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Bring on the tear gas and rubber bullets as well.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering the present police tactic is to contain the demonstrators and eventually bore them into submission I'm not sure how Water Cannon which are designed to quickly disburse and scatter crowds would be used.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police use them over here in the summer months when the rioters are out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNikc0_rjxU&feature=related
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think in freezing temperatures Kettling people then blasting them with a water cannon would be a very good idea! Despite there being trouble makers in the bunch, why should a bunch of innocent peaceful protesters be subjected to hypothermia?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMask wrote: »
    The hose that fills the water cannon is.

It's something of a tricky situation. You can, for example, use a hosepipe to clean a patio or drive, but not to water flowerbeds. Using a water cannon to hose down protesters is not covered.
    http://drought-order.com/hosepipe-bans.htm

And in any case, at the moment there is no hosepipe ban in most of the country.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    I dont think in freezing temperatures Kettling people then blasting them with a water cannon would be a very good idea! Despite there being trouble makers in the bunch, why should a bunch of innocent peaceful protesters be subjected to hypothermia?

They could actually listen to what the police are telling them on loud speakers and proceed down the pre agreed route to their formation point where they can get back on their warm coaches and go home, or jump on the tube.

Instead, they decided to set up camp outside Parliament and run amok.. and then wonder why they weren't allowed to leave.

As a bystander that day, once I heard the police issue the 'Please move on for your own safety' warning at *1.30pm* I knew it was time to be on my way. They should have came to the same conclusion and followed the route. Instead they broke down barriers and ran across Parliament Green. Their choice.