'No signal' issues

EiraEira Posts: 558
Forum Member
✭✭
When we turn to a HD channel we sometimes get a 'no signal' message, but when we go to the SD equivalent channel it is fine. And then we'll go back to the HD channel, channel surf up or down from there and then back to the HD channel and it will eventually work.

It is annoying, but manageable. However, what gets really frustrating is when trying to record something on a HD channel. Unless we actually sit there at the beginning of what we want to record and press 'rec' it will not record, because it says there is no signal. So this means we can't series link anything on a HD channel or pre-programme to record something in a couple of days time.

We don't use all of the HD channels, but we know this applies to Sky 1 HD, E4 HD, all of the Sky movies HD channels, all of the Sky HD sports channels - but not the Eurosport ones as far as we can tell.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Or has anyone else experienced something similar?

Comments

• Juice_of_2_limeJuice_of_2_lime Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Funny you should ask, I am getting the same problem and it's bloody annoying.

If you look at the signal status, input 1 has no signal.

Change to a SD channel and it comes back, allowing you to switch to the HD channel.

Running an Amstrad here so don't know if this is happening elsewhere but judging by lack of comments, maybe not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it has to be a software issue, had this numerous times and a reboot just brings it back to normal. SIgnal shows strong on both always
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Change to a SD channel and it comes back, allowing you to switch to the HD channel.

Running an Amstrad here so don't know if this is happening elsewhere but judging by lack of comments, maybe not.

Happened to me tonight, in fact about twice a week sometimes it is input 1 sometimes 2 but a reboot fixes it with signals are well over 75%.

I have found this appears to happen after deleting channels in the planner as it is after that I find a loss of signal on a channel/s
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I've also got this problem on my pace box.Started to happen after the last software update,pulled all cables loose and rebooted with no affect.I also have a thompson box which hasn't had the latest update and that is fine.I'm certain it was caused by that last update and waiting to see if the next update to remove some of the bugs will correct it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member

It started to happen a few months back on my re-built thomson, at first I thought it was problems caused by a mobile phone or similar, pulled all the plugs checked feeds rebooted etc. In my case affects the BBC channels only inc HD. I started a thread upon it and got the usual its the thomson problems (it isnt fairly sure of that) Sometimes it goes for days without manifesting itself other times appears to be every 30 seconds then settles down, If I change from BBC1 to BBC2 or vice versa seems to get the signal back, When down the signal/quality is usually high. Never had a problem with recording anything from standby mode even two programmes at same time.
    It was explained to me that this might be a glitch in the programming of the software which causes the LNB not to respond to the 22Khz tone (or react wrongly) I cannot verify this but if true the best way would be to plug a box showing this fault into a differing dish / LNB and see what happens

Just so relieved that I am not alone in this
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm my Thomson has always done the 'no channel' nonsense about once a month until around Jan 2011 where it's started doing it weekly or even every couple of days. I assumed it was just the usual Thomson crappery/Sky software buggery (that's a bug in case you wondered)

So maybe there's some new bug causing this now?

My Thomson is rebuilt psu etc blah blah and despite the many happy owners (apparently) I think mine is a piece of junk compared to my old super reliable Pace Sky+

but it seems all Sky HD boxes are quirky and unreliable these days - but hey the best thing Sky can do is just add more software features that cause more bugs and wonderul new features. Shame they don't understand the concept of testing (other than getting us to beta test their software)

:D