• lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No!!!! Carla is my favourite :'(

Because that's not obvious!;).
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she'll be back when Blackburn goes and CS get's it's mojo back... But in the meantime it will be a huge loss of course and a hammer blow to a programme that's already in a shockingly bad state.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    :cry::cry: Did this have to happen on a night where I'm already an unstable hungover wreckage? Can't cope with the thought of Corrie without Carla and the insatiable Alison.

It doesn't bear thinking about! I need a drink.

Alison King is in a league of her own. I'm gonna miss Queen Carla so much.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    lou_123 wrote: »
    Because that's not obvious!;).

Haha :D
  • m-riverm-river Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well she has said a number of times in the past that she likes dramatic acting and likes to be gripped on the material she's giving. lately all Blackburn has given her is romantic/affair storylines no wonder why she's leaving, we should all blame him
  • notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    sorrento wrote: »
    No actor is bigger than Corrie...and who ever thinks so is a fool......

At last, a voice of reason!!!!

This news is music to my ears!! Make it at least two years, Ali, then come back with Carla refreshed & ready for some more action!! I for one have had complete Carla Connor overkill!! Absolutely everything big seems to have been revolved around her over the last 5 years or so & it was getting to the point where Corrie seemed to think she was bigger than the show itself!! To be fair to Alison, she's never given any indication of thinking that & has just got on with acting what she's been given (very well, I agree) but in my humble opinion this is great news for the character, great news for the actress, great news gor Corrie, & great news for the rest of the cast, many of whom have been wrongly overlooked in favour of giving too much airtime to one character!!

I wish her all the very best with her 'other creative projects' & I look forward to her return, just not too soon!! Hopefully by then Corrie bosses will have realised they actually have a cast full of very adequate replacements just waiting for a chance to shine!!

Finally, to all those who say this news will stop you watching Corrie, "You are the weakest links..... Goodbye!!!!'
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's the worst news of the year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m-river wrote: »
    well she has said a number of times in the past that she likes dramatic acting and likes to be gripped on the material she's giving. lately all Blackburn has given her is romantic/affair storylines no wonder why she's leaving, we should all blame him
    I will worship him for ever more now. If she likes dramatic acting she needs to learn a few expressions (and more).
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    The bunting is up. The champagne is on ice. :D:D:D:D Just Todd to go now and it might be watchable again.
    sorrento wrote: »
    I feel quite tipsy:D:D:D

May I join? Looks like we're in the minority.

The hysteria on this thread is ridiculous, there are still other great characters and fantastic actresses left on the show. One character does not make a show!

I personally can't wait to see the back of her, pity it is just a break. It might give a chance for other characters to shine. Carla is getting shoe horned into every bloody story and I'm getting sick of the sight of her.
  • m-riverm-river Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will worship him for ever more now. If she likes dramatic acting she needs to learn a few expressions (and more).

it's called subtle expressions, she doesn't even need to say anything and you can feel her pain. go back to her rape storyline, that's a classic example of subtle acting
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »
    May I join? Looks like we're in the minority.

The hysteria on this thread is ridiculous, there are still other great characters and fantastic actresses left on the show. One character does not make a show!

I personally can't wait to see the back of her, pity it is just a break. It might give a chance for other characters to shine. Carla is getting shoe horned into every bloody story and I'm getting sick of the sight of her.
    You certainly may.
    Let sanity prevail. :D
    Anyway, knowing the source of the fire story thread, (and it's not the Sun) I'm not so sure it is a 'break' - more of a severance.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You certainly may.
    Let sanity prevail. :D
    Anyway, knowing the source of the fire story thread, (and it's not the Sun) I'm not so sure it is a 'break' - more of a severance.

Why thank you :D:D:D
  • SoapAddict101SoapAddict101 Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Even though it's only a break I'm absolutely gutted about this, what a loss to Corrie this will be. Hopefully she's back sooner rather than later. :(
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Has anyone seen behind the Sun paywall to see the details?
  • TimWil014TimWil014 Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I think that Carla will end up as owner of the Rovers after Liz and Steve lose it. Carla will be so exhausted after being both the Rovers landlady AND a schmatte factory owner that she'll definitely need a break by the end of 2015.
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen behind the Sun paywall to see the details?

It's on the front page of tomorrow's Sun. It says she will leave after her contract ends in December and mentions mothing abut it being a break, at least not on the front page:(.
  • golden raygolden ray Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Alison King is a wonderful, versatile actress and not just a pretty face.
    She has captivated a large audience with convincing roles and hilarious one liners unique to her character Carla who's fearless and vulnerable and imo deserves to win an award.

I'll miss her when she quits for a break to do other projects but hopefully she'll be back.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Clearly I'm in a minority but it's good news for me. Nasty, tedious character.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a break, she has had one before
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Tom_Willis wrote: »
    It doesn't bear thinking about! I need a drink.

Alison King is in a league of her own. I'm gonna miss Queen Carla so much.

She's the modern day Elsie Tanner to me. Unthinkable to have Corrie without her :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    She's the modern day Elsie Tanner to me. Unthinkable to have Corrie without her :(

Indeed. Carla is the only modern-day character that resembles those classic, iconic Corrie women.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a good actress but like someone said every big story line involved her. I wonder if Alyia will end up the boss of the nicker factory.
  • AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never been much of a fan of the Carla character but she has played apart in many interesting storylines, particularly when she was with Tony. Didn't think much of her for the way she pursued Barlow though.

There's no basis to the comparison with Elsie Tanner. Except if you are to compare and contrast the two and admit that where Elsie was 'the tart with the heart' that Carla has been so often 'the tart with no heart', particularly when it applies to her treatment of other women. Though it is obvious how she has mellowed a lot lately with age.

I think Carla could have had a more interesting altogether history and I wouldn't be surprised if Alison King would feel a bit jaded by the Coronation Street experience and sees that it's going nowhere to be honest.

It has always seemed to me as though they could never really decide what the hell to do with her or what characteristics to give her. She was defined for a long time as being a very tough and assertive woman who has become more and more progressively needy, desperate and unsure of herself as time has progressed.
    You simply can't do this to a character if you want them to have a long lifespan or cast them as an iconic figure.
    It seems to happen to a lot of characters as well, it's as though the writers are convincing us that everyone's strength of character is dubious and fragile underneath, that people all really a bunch of weaklings. Who the **** wants to believe in that?

This is why Coronation Street is going down the drain and it's not going to be too much longer before most viewers will realise there's nothing left that's not predictable and then there's nothing left to get interested in it for or excited about again.

I give it another fifteen years at the very most.
  • fadedfaded Posts: 2,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact it's front page news says it all really. Massive loss to the show, she's by some distance the best actress on the show
  • Redhead69Redhead69 Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice, if for once, they left on a positive note instead of going to jail. I would like to see Carla expand her business elsewhere and leave Michelle and the other girl in charge of the factory. This would explain her absence for however long. Why do exits always have to be miserable. I thought it was a good idea. It would let Michelle have something different away from the pub.