Options

How much of The Doctors adventures did the cracks erase?

TLC1098TLC1098 Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Something I always wondered. Did the cracks just erase Davies era or did they erase all of The Doctors past adventures?

Comments

• Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    TLC1098 wrote: »
    Something I always wondered. Did the cracks just erase Davies era or did they erase all of The Doctors past adventures?
    Neither.

I mean, technically, the cracks erased everything of everyone's adventures ever. But almost all of it came back. We don't know if it's 100%, but it certainly includes almost everything that happened in the RTD era.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure stephan Moffat confirmed everything pre-cracks had come back unharmed after the Big Bang 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post Big Bang-2, most of the Doctor's adventures are probably still happening in their respective points in time.

It does raise a few questions, though; does the re-boot mean that people remember the giant Cyberking now? If the cracks have been post-emptively undone, then you'd think so...

How does River manage to go from The Big Bang, and resetting to the Universe, to Flesh and Stone/Time of Angels, where the cracks are eminent? Surely they shouldn't be there at all? Hang on, how're they stopping the Weeping Angels?

I was going to say that maybe in the rebooted universe the Crash of the Byzantium never happened... but then River ruins that in TWoRS by turning and saying that's where she's just been.
    My head.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Here's the easy answer:

It erases whatever era and episodes you weren't a fan of and keeps only those you enjoyed.

Goodbye, Slyvester McCoy in that case! :D
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Things happened. They just haven't necessarily happened the way we remember them.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the easy answer:

It erases whatever era and episodes you weren't a fan of and keeps only those you enjoyed.

Absolutely, although I like the McCoy era, so it will not be erased from my perspective.

I definitely want the Stolen Earth / Journey's End erased. I used to think that the Daleks don't invade Earth until the middle of the 22nd Century as shown in the First Doctor story "The Dalek Invasion Of Earth" and that the people of Earth are unaware of their existence until then, and I'd like that to remain the case.

I really don't like the idea of the people of modern day Earth encountering aliens, so I'd like to see other such modern day invasions erased too. This will affect the RTD era more than the Pertwee era, because most of those earlier attempted alien invasions were all thwarted by the Third Doctor and then miraculously "hushed up" anyway, while unlike me RTD seemed to like the idea of the people of Earth being aware of aliens. So for me the Sontaran two-parter, the Slitheen two-parter, the Battle Of Canary Wharf two-parter and the "Christmas Invasion" all have to be erased I'm afraid.

Apart from that I'd like most of what's occurred in Who over the last 49 years not to be erased.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fire Host wrote: »
    Post Big Bang-2, most of the Doctor's adventures are probably still happening in their respective points in time.

It does raise a few questions, though; does the re-boot mean that people remember the giant Cyberking now? If the cracks have been post-emptively undone, then you'd think so...

How does River manage to go from The Big Bang, and resetting to the Universe, to Flesh and Stone/Time of Angels, where the cracks are eminent? Surely they shouldn't be there at all? Hang on, how're they stopping the Weeping Angels?

I was going to say that maybe in the rebooted universe the Crash of the Byzantium never happened... but then River ruins that in TWoRS by turning and saying that's where she's just been.
    My head.

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey
  • Options
    Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My head.

I wish I could forget :(
  • Options
    gareth1408gareth1408 Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Absolutely, although I like the McCoy era, so it will not be erased from my perspective.

I definitely want the Stolen Earth / Journey's End erased. I used to think that the Daleks don't invade Earth until the middle of the 22nd Century as shown in the First Doctor story "The Dalek Invasion Of Earth" and that the people of Earth are unaware of their existence until then, and I'd like that to remain the case.

I really don't like the idea of the people of modern day Earth encountering aliens, so I'd like to see other such modern day invasions erased too. This will affect the RTD era more than the Pertwee era, because most of those earlier attempted alien invasions were all thwarted by the Third Doctor and then miraculously "hushed up" anyway, while unlike me RTD seemed to like the idea of the people of Earth being aware of aliens. So for me the Sontaran two-parter, the Slitheen two-parter, the Battle Of Canary Wharf two-parter and the "Christmas Invasion" all have to be erased I'm afraid.

Apart from that I'd like most of what's occurred in Who over the last 49 years not to be erased.

But that particular Dalek timeline could have potentially changed with the events of Genesis of the Daleks anyway
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    As other posters have said, the universe was re-booted in The Big Bang, so most stuff that was erased was restored from a story point of view. That is until of course, Moffat or another writer want particular events to have never have happened.

I highly doubt Moffat merely introduced the cracks in time because it was a fun idea. I imagine he did it to remove some events that create continuity problems, and presumably to reduce the human knowledge of alien invasions (Cyberking, Stolen Earth/Journey's End).

I think like the Time War, it is used as a general way not to be tied into long established continuity, but will probably not be explored in great detail in the future. It seems to me it was just part of Moffat's overall plan to scale things down, leading to The Doctor stepping back into the shadows. Though the scale of the next lot of adventures is yet to be seen
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

None since I dont buy into them.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gareth1408 wrote: »
    But that particular Dalek timeline could have potentially changed with the events of Genesis of the Daleks anyway

I prefer to believe it didn't, and that in a wibbly wobbly timey wimey kind of way the events of "Genesis" actually set up the events of the first two Hartnell era Daleks stories, as why would the Doctor change a timeline that could potentially wipe his granddaughter out of existence?
  • Options
    gareth1408gareth1408 Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I prefer to believe it didn't, and that in a wibbly wobbly timey wimey kind of way the events of "Genesis" actually set up the events of the first two Hartnell era Daleks stories, as why would the Doctor change a timeline that could potentially wipe his granddaughter out of existence?

He didn't choose to change it, but it was stated as fact that what he did in Genesis changed the future of the Daleks as it was already known

What you choose to believe or not believe is up to you, but it is a possibility
  • Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A bit ambiguous, shouldn't that be:

as why would the Doctor change a timeline when doing so could potentially wipe his granddaughter out of existence?

But it's a very good point. The Doctor left his granddaughter in a post-Dalek-invasion Earth in the 22nd Century. If what occurred in Genesis Of The Daleks meant that there was no Dalek invasion of Earth in the 22nd Century what exactly does happen to Susan?

So yes, I like your idea that what happened in Genesis Of The Daleks actually assured rather than prevented what happened in The Dalek Invasion Of Earth. That a Fourth Doctor adventure can be indirectly responsible for a First Doctor adventure is quite an appealing notion to me.
    does the re-boot mean that people remember the giant Cyberking now?

I would like to believe that everything seen in The Next Doctor never actually happened at all, that it was the just the Doctor having a bad dream; a bad dream that, unfortunately, he let the rest of us share.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to believe that everything seen in The Next Doctor never actually happened at all, that it was the just the Doctor having a bad dream; a bad dream that, unfortunately, he let the rest of us share.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why The Next Doctor gets so much hate, it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't understand why The Next Doctor gets so much hate, it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.

It had a giant Cyberman trampling Victorian London... and only the lamest reason why this event is totally undocumented historically. There was a recent thread, that was very silly, about RTD (and Moffat) being 'lazy'. That was nonsense but if ever there was a story that is fuel to the fire for a claim like that then it is this one. The conversation can only have gone like this:

RTD: "Hmmm... you know what would be cool in this story? A giant Cyberman trampling the city."

Flunkie: "But it's set in Victorian times..."

RTD: "Oh... hmmm... oh f£$& it, who cares? Let's do it anyway"

Flunkie: "Yes, Russell."

I mean, come on. You need someone with the balls to challenge the writer at times like this, even if he is 'showrunner' and executive producer.

The first part of that story, with the amnesiac 'Doctor', is very good; the second half descends into nonsense. From the giant Cyberman, to the absurdly easy way the Doctor defeats it, to the unbelievable villain. And the faux Doctor doesn't even get to play any significant part in saving the day, beyond having built the 'TARDIS' balloon! That's not very satisfactory from a dramatic viewpoint. It's like the writer forgot about him in his enthusiasm to throw a gigantic Cyberman into the story.

Now, maybe the majority of people, watching it drunk on Christmas Day, didn't care about any of the above (though I don't believe that would be true in any case) but anyone examining the story with any degree of critical faculty must have big problems with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    It had a giant Cyberman trampling Victorian London... and only the lamest reason why this event is totally undocumented historically. There was a recent thread, that was very silly, about RTD (and Moffat) being 'lazy'. That was nonsense but if ever there was a story that is fuel to the fire for a claim like that then it is this one. The conversation can only have gone like this:

RTD: "Hmmm... you know what would be cool in this story? A giant Cyberman trampling the city."

I mean, come on. You need someone with the balls to challenge the writer at times like this, even if he is 'showrunner' and executive producer.

The first part of that story, with the amnesiac 'Doctor', is very good; the second half descends into nonsense. From the giant Cyberman, to the absurdly easy way the Doctor defeats it, to the unbelievable villain. And the faux Doctor doesn't even get to play any significant part in saving the day, beyond having built the 'TARDIS' balloon! That's not very satisfactory from a dramatic viewpoint. It's like the writer forgot about him in his enthusiasm to throw a gigantic Cyberman into the story.

Now, maybe the majority of people, watching it drunk on Christmas Day, didn't care about any of the above (though I don't believe that would be true in any case) but anyone examining the story with any degree of critical faculty must have big problems with it.

I agree with this, I liked the pisode until the giant cyberman started walking around..i just didn't feel it was a cyberman type of plan, also didn' like how Miss Hartigan just became cyber-king without being properly converted eiither.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I liked the first part especially the graveyard part but maybe I liked the Cyberking part because of the awsome music that was played while it was walking through London.

Mabe the Cyberking part was noncence but you have to admit the music was awesome.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member

I thought of this for a while, what if The next Doctor was set during World War 2 and the Cybermen were working with Germany and the whole Cyberking thing was planned so Germany could destroy London on Christmas eve and army tanks and fighter jets would be attacking the Cyberking?
  • Options
    Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hated how the Cyber King 'ship' was made to look like a cyberman. Sorry, from that point on you've lost any credibility. Imagine if we had an episode where The Master returned, in his TARDIS which has changed to be... an enlarged version of himself! Or The Daleks are shown in the Time War, flying around in giant Daleks. It's stupid :/

There were good bits to the epsiode, but this (along with other parts) destroyed it.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Stever7 wrote: »
    I just hated how the Cyber King 'ship' was made to look like a cyberman. Sorry, from that point on you've lost any credibility. Imagine if we had an episode where The Master returned, in his TARDIS which has changed to be... an enlarged version of himself! Or The Daleks are shown in the Time War, flying around in giant Daleks. It's stupid :/

There were good bits to the epsiode, but this (along with other parts) destroyed it.

To be honest I would like to see a giant dalek, not a dalek ship an actual giant dalek..
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stever7 wrote: »

Judging from the last time we saw The Master, that's just the sort of thing he would love to do. :D
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to believe that everything seen in The Next Doctor never actually happened at all, that it was the just the Doctor having a bad dream; a bad dream that, unfortunately, he let the rest of us share.

I don't understand why The Next Doctor gets so much hate, it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.[/QUOTE]

It should be erased from history. If they had actually made it as if he was actually a future doctor it would of worked but instead ruined it.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Here's the easy answer:

Rather, it gives the producer/writer a convenient plot device to erase or mess about with the shows history!
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

I haven't watched The Next Doctor since it aired (I don't tend to rewatch the specials), but was there an explanation given in the episode itself, or are you referring to Moffat's line in The Time of Angels?