Options

Theories on 12th Doctors Likeness to Frobisher & Pompeii.

13»

Comments

• Options
    cuccircuccir Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the news that

may mean we do indeed revisit this topic - it would be one way that that episode could go.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    If Moffat does explain this it will surely need to be more than just what RTD was thinking because it seems he had the idea long before Capaldi took over. So it was presumably more about explaining the same face for the previous two characters. Moffat then said it still worked but not that it would necessarily explain the Doctor also having the face.

I had felt that the section quoted above along with the later scenes had suggested the reason was because he needed to be older and that was that. Reading the section again it does sound like there is more to it though. Moffat also has form, of course, for setting things up and waiting a long time before paying off so it certainly seems possible he will come back to this. The link says an episode with only the Doctor but Moffat doesn't specifically say that so only Capaldi could indeed suggest him playing different characters. I am not sure how that could work though for this issue. Either way this experimental episode sounds very intriguing.

I would not be bothered if the face thing isn't explained in a concrete way but it could be worth it. I liked the fob-watch idea as that could mean the Doctor actually saved a future version of himself all that time ago without realizing. The fact this idea has been speculated so much surely rules it out, however.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure as Moffat told it RTD had the idea after Capaldi was cast? I forget.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I don't think it needs to be explained, I like how they brought it up in DB and the doctor questioning why this face but I would be happy for them to leave it at that and let the audience form their own idea/opinion if they so wish. That being said if they were to bring it up then I'm on board for that too.

In my head I think the doctor chose that face to tell himself to be more responsible.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I still think the whole spacial genetic transference thing that worked for Gwen could work as well. It's not beyond reason that John Frobisher went to Cardiff at some point where there's a convenient Rift, and there was Caecilius who was exposed to the Pompeiian Rift in Series 4. It could link into that somehow, though as time has gone on I'm more inclined that they're planning something a bit bigger than that. The Capaldi one-hander for the eleventh episode stands to be a good time to deal with it, and Moffat even commented on an aspect of this episode last year whilst promoting Series 8 (I think he said he had a brilliant idea for a cliffhanger for it back then) so its concept has clearly been in the works for a while.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    If Moffat does explain this it will surely need to be more than just what RTD was thinking because it seems he had the idea long before Capaldi took over. So it was presumably more about explaining the same face for the previous two characters. Moffat then said it still worked but not that it would necessarily explain the Doctor also having the face.

RTD had mentioned the idea to Moffat in the past when Capaldi had only done the two roles.

When Moffat cast Capaldi as the Doctor he asked RTD if the idea still worked now that Capaldi was the Doctor. RTD told him that yes it still does and went on to explain why.

Of course Moffat may well have put his own spin on the idea and changed/expanded it somewhat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I read the title I was thinking of the penguin lol reading that makes more sense
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    This is a really interesting element and I hope Moffat has not forgotten about it. He usually ties up lose ends quite well.