Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was amazing..so sombre.
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, very sombre, very personal. That was great, lots of insinuations to ponder over.
    Glad to see the proper use of 'Prologue' instead of the infuriating 'Prequel' for once.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Indeed, very sombre, very personal. That was great, lots of insinuations to ponder over.
    Glad to see the proper use of 'Prologue' instead of the infuriating 'Prequel' for once.

The only reason the word 'prologue' was used is because there is still a 'prequel' to come, the one called 'the doctors mediation' that they're having in the US cinema screenings, and hopefully will find it's way over here before the series starts.
  • Options
    EVIL-MONKEYEVIL-MONKEY Posts: 53,872
    Forum Member
    So they where the sisters/nuns that brought 8 back to life?
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason the word 'prologue' was used is because there is still a 'prequel' to come, the one called 'the doctors mediation' that they're having in the US cinema screenings, and hopefully will find it's way over here before the series starts.

Yes, I know there's still another prologue to come, I just thought that they had seen sense. Oh well, back to dumbing-down, lol.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Yes, I know there's still another prologue to come, I just thought that they had seen sense. Oh well, back to dumbing-down, lol.

I think the term 'prequel' will be quite ironic this time around, if this opening story actually involves what many people think it does :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Seemed to be a Tom Baker vibe to the Doctors performance there
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they where the sisters/nuns that brought 8 back to life?

Yes, The Sisterhood of Karn - they have a long history with the Doctor, beginning, I think, in The Brain Of Morbius.

The Prologue is intriguing. I'm really looking forward to this series. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was in all of series 8 too.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And wonderful to see the Doctor without the distractions of Clara trying to shoehorn herself into 'his' scene or Missy capering about. More actual doctor please this series!
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was the Doctor referring to when he said he's know someone form long time? Can't be the Master as he is a she now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Who was the Doctor referring to when he said he's know someone form long time? Can't be the Master as he is a she now
    Likely spoiler for the story...
    Most probably Davros
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capaldi is awesome as The Doctor he has that special spark about him where your just fascinated by watching him.

On the negative though about the prologue I felt myself groan with the whole oh this is the end of The Doctor and he's going to have a little time to dwell on it and say goodbyes and all that stuff, they have cried wolf on that front to many times to buy into it, even with the audience always knowing they are never going to kill him you can still play with the idea but they have done it so much that it not only falls flat its also a bit annoying and tiring, its kind of deflated my excitement for the episode a little as it feels like more series 6 silliness, just my thoughts on that.
  • Options
    EVIL-MONKEYEVIL-MONKEY Posts: 53,872
    Forum Member
    We know that Missy gets his will/discus, so I'm guessing that it will be Davros that he meets up with? Who leaves him trapped in the Darlek city for ep 2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    And wonderful to see the Doctor without the distractions of Clara trying to shoehorn herself into 'his' scene or Missy capering about. More actual doctor please this series!
    agreed,,or him constanlty having to deal with her feelings or objections to him
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Interesting.
    It's pretty clear who he is talking about and where he is going. (based on spoilers) I think it may all link up to pre-Genesis in some way.

Capaldi owns the role now. I think he nailed his Doctor in Last Christmas and hopefully it will be more or less a continuation of that style.

Looking forward to it. Cant say fairer than that.
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »

I totally agree with you.. I really love watching Peter CapalDi. He puts so much into his performance and it doesn't feel forced to me. Very natural reactive acting..

The prologue is a great little two hander between the actors. I enjoyed it very much even if it does exude a Star Wars level of deadly threat round the corner. Be brave Doctor the force is strong 😀
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic performance from Peter Capaldi.

Typically we see an actor's definitive portrayal of 'their' Doctor emerge in their second season and it looks to be that way with Capaldi too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Fantastic performance from Peter Capaldi.

Typically we see an actor's definitive portrayal of 'their' Doctor emerge in their second season and it looks to be that way with Capaldi too.

I think the actor is still finding their feet in their first series, maybe gradually detatching from what, or rather who, came before.

It's a shame that the writing doesn't reflect this more confident identity we seem to get in their second series. For me Series 3 suffered mostly because of The Doctor - he was written to be far too Rose-mopey, and it was all a bit miserable - worse at the time than in reflection because we didn't have the awareness she would eventually come back. And then in turn Series 6 suffered mostly because of The Doctor as well - with his whole death and farewell to the universe being severely over-egged. The arc ended poorly anyway, but even if it had been somewhat decent I think dwelling so much on the mortal fate of a lead character we know ultimately has to survive is a bit of a weak premise. Tennant and Smith both did their best in their second series and showed added confidence over their first, but the writing in both cases seemed to hold them back.

Tennant got lucky with his third series, which seems to be among the most satisfying the show has done - the writing and acting both complimented each other. Smith was less lucky, and I think was bogged down with poorer writing that detrimented him - he had to continue doing his best when it often felt through Series 7 that he was being written as a catchphrase-trigger-happy caricature of his former self.

Capaldi seems to be developing a much more natural, and pleasing sense of development with his Doctor. Whether that's his tremendous acting ability or something I've just imagined I really don't know, but he feels constantly evolving (rather than just adapting to fit a particular story when it calls for him to have specific traits) and I'd love for him to be the first of the four newer Doctor's to get at least a fourth full series to flesh out his role further. :)
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can already see subtle changes that are following on from Last Christmas. Even the way the Doctor is sat is more relaxed, more at ease with himself as opposed to the quite jittery stick insect of S8. I hope he retains all the brilliance of S8 Doctor with extra layers which by all accounts is what we are getting.

Tennant certainly excelled in his second season after nervy beginnings and I think was never better than in S3. I think in S4 he was a bit cosy in the role.

When it comes to Matt Smith though I think he was never better than when he started. It was a bit of a plateaux after that and arguably slightly downhill. It seems really unfair to say as I did/do love Eleven but I watched The Name of the Doctor last night and I dunno...in light of Capaldi I found Eleven to just be a bit too 'big' a character. I know that was part of the charm and when it came to the dramatic moments he still always excelled but some of the clowning and wild gesticulating suddenly struck me as a bit...*whisper it*...annoying. I'm probably being very unfair and was just in a certain mood.
  • Options
    Robin CroryRobin Crory Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

I really liked that. It was obvious how much she enjoyed it. The Prologue itself? Meh, Doctor's doomed again, going to die, yadda yadda yadda...

Bit depressy. Which is what I thought of his first season. I get the Doctor being out of sorts for most of his first episode, but I couldn't warm to him at all. Bit like Colin Baker, although I'd pretty much given up watching every week before he came along. I'm looking forward to it being a bit lighter this year. Even with the whole last will and testament hoo-hah.

Is getting rid of Davros and the Daleks the thing that will change the whole Whoniverse forever? I'd be happy enough if that happened. Plenty more fish in the sea, monsters on Mars, new baddies to come...

Or he might just die forever at Christmas and there's River Song to send him on his merry way. "Well, you were there when I died, Sweetie," says River. "Of f@#k off, River," says Malcolm Tucker/the Roman guy who was in the episode with the premature Amy Pond/the caretaker guy from Torchwood's Children of Earth/the Doctor.

But then season 10 has been confirmed, if not scheduled. Someone said the joke was he found Gallifrey, then someone else said I'm aGallifreyed not. That was a real b'dumchee moment.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no Doctor death arc 2.0 - it'll have blown over by Ep3.
  • Options
    Robin CroryRobin Crory Posts: 131
    Forum Member

Oh goody!
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm glad its not a plot for the whole series but for me it still feels like to much having it as a plot point for a two part opener after series 6 and series 7 trenzalore thing, the heading for certain death but have time to dwell on it has gotten tiresome, but that's just the feeling I get from the prologue the actual two part opener might do the plot in a way I really like.. so who knows, time will tell.