Best New Customer Deals?

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am currently looking to switch my phone, BB and TV following the Virgin Media price rise coming next year (extra £4pm).

Therefore, this thread is simply to ask what are the current best new customer joining deals? But more importantly to establish the best tips and tricks to getting the best possible joining offer? Basically looking for info on the best haggling tactics, is it worth pushing for extras like cashback, vouchers, and gifts?

Ideally, I would be looking at a triple play (BB TV Phone) package. However the TV part isn't that important to me and I could easily be persuaded to drop the TV altogether, and just use Freeview if I could save a significant amount by doing so and going with one of the smaller BB&Phone companies like Plusnet?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Check the price on Uswitch then phone the company directly. They should then give you an even better deal as they don't have to pay commission that way.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Check the price on Uswitch then phone the company directly. They should then give you an even better deal as they don't have to pay commission that way.

The thing is though, with haggling for a better price on the phone, what happens if you strike a deal but when installed the services or price charged isn't what you were promised? You only have the word of the representative don't you? So you could end up in a your word vs theirs kind of dispute or do they send you some kind of written confirmation before installation so you have proof of what you agreed?
  • CyberSimianCyberSimian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    You only have the word of the representative don't you? So you could end up in a your word vs theirs kind of dispute
    If you use an Android smartphone to make the call, you can record the call on the phone, for use in any subsequent dispute. Irritatingly, you can enable call recording only after the call has been connected; it would be much better if you could enable call recording before placing the call.

As it is your own call that you are recording, I believe that you are under no obligation to inform the recipient that the call is being recorded (but I am not a lawyer). However, you may wish to inform him/her, as it might encourage the recipient not to be "economical with the truth".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best way to haggle with sky and VM is to give your 30 days notice. Ignore the 5-20% discount they offer you and say thanks it's still too expensive please can I just cancel.

Then wait for them to call you back.

I did this last week with VM who I have just broadband with. Best they offered when I called to cancel was £25 going to £29 after 6 months. 18 month contract.

Two days later detentions called. I'm now paying £23 for my broadband for 12 months on a 12 month contract.

I no longer have sky but I did the same last time I renewed with them. In the last year I got 60% discount and £100 credit on my account meaning I paid £6.70 a month for basic tv package with HD.

I did the same for my Aunty. Got her 50% off a new box and £50 credit.

Best thing to do is cancel and wait for them to call you back.
  • binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone ever got any good retention deals from TV LIcensing?
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    binary wrote: »
    Has anyone ever got any good retention deals from TV LIcensing?
    :D

Only wish you could as I’m pretty fed up with pots and pans programs and in house employees so say dancing.>:(
  • DAVE-ODAVE-O Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I'd wait until January as most broadband providers have new year deals. Sky is a good option as you can always renegotiate your package after your contract runs out. Though you will have to go through the cancellation process, which is a pain.