Helping the homeless when it gets below zero

Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know if you have it in your city but when it gets below zero here we have what's called cold weather provision. Basically all the services open up more bed spaces, including Churches. So if you see a homeless person out and about let them know about it as there's a lot better chance of them getting a bed this time of year.

I realise they won't all be homeless and some I talked to weren't interested but it's always worth a go.

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The problem with the long term homeless is they can get very sick indoors.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On local t.v. news recently they went out with charity workers helping the homeless, it seems that some of them of Eastern Europeans sleeping rough who want to go home. The charity has helped some but surely it would be cheaper for Social Services to give them a ticket home instead of handing out benefits.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    On local t.v. news recently they went out with charity workers helping the homeless, it seems that some of them of Eastern Europeans sleeping rough who want to go home. The charity has helped some but surely it would be cheaper for Social Services to give them a ticket home instead of handing out benefits.

A lot of the Eastern European ones are trafficked and it often gets very complicated,
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think councils might have a duty to provide emergency accommodation when it gets below a certain temperature. We always get details of the emergency night shelters emailed to us at work when sub-zero temperatures are forecast, and the email comes from the council's homelessness team.

When we had a long cold snap a few years ago, they opened a school that had been closed down, and the WRVS and people from various churches turned up with food, heaters, bedding etc to kit it out.
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seem to be more homeless this year. They are every 50 meters on our high street now. Shameful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going on a homeless count tomorrow from 11pm until 4am so we'll hopefully get a realistic number of who's sleeping rough out there.
  • LabhaoiseNiMhaoLabhaoiseNiMhao Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need shelters full stop.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make a donation every winter to my local homeless charity either in the form of money or some tins of soup / bread or other foods. The homeless charity helped me get back on my feet years ago & I will never forget the kindness from them and to the people that donated to them, volunteered in the Salvation Army etc, so made a promise to myself that I would help in some way every winter.

A lot of homeless charities in the UK get hardly any help from the government with funding and they rely on the public to help the homeless in some way or other. Year after year we hear "do they know it's Christmas", but we never hear Ralph Mctell's "Streets of London", a song that most people can relate to, either by seeing the homeless person, or having been the homeless person.

Everyone must have heard this song and if they haven't then they should do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2r97Fo_HWE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need shelters full stop.

Cool, ask the government then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make a donation every winter to my local homeless charity either in the form of money or some tins of soup / bread or other foods. The homeless charity helped me get back on my feet years ago & I will never forget the kindness from them and to the people that donated to them, volunteered in the Salvation Army etc, so made a promise to myself that I would help in some way every winter.

That is really cool :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »

ok :confused:
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »