Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    jokerz wrote: »
    Same lol! Hi five! :D

Are you going to a game lock in?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Worth noting that the games on display for Xbox One shut-ins are old builds back from E3 (pre-upclocks and optimisation), the final games will look significantly better, this was confirmed by Albert Penello. so don't be too dismayed if you aren't blown away by the visuals.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you going to a game lock in?

Would like to but doubt I'd get the misses to go and get a babysitter!

I know there is one in Swansea near me but I suppose I can wait.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Currently outside Lewisham Game. So far I can see 5 PS4 kiosks, with retail units, and each unit has an abdundance of playable demos, including cross platform games (FIFA 14 etc). Dis 'gun be good...
  • jubalcjubalc Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Give us a good review. I'm still undecided on which to go got between them both
  • sparky07sparky07 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    Currently outside Lewisham Game. So far I can see 5 PS4 kiosks, with retail units, and each unit has an abdundance of playable demos, including cross platform games (FIFA 14 etc). Dis 'gun be good...

Looking forward to reading your impressions as I've opted for ps4 this gen!
    Forum Member
    Playable games were Knack, FIFA 14, Contrast, Octodad, Pinball Dreams and Super Motherload. Everything in 1080p. Looked stunning. Thoughts to come.
    Forum Member
    Give us a brief review on fifa 14. Interested to know how it plays compared to current gen fifa14.
    Forum Member
    So, let me think. Straight away, rather than have Dev kits on a stand plugged into Samsung TVs, what we saw were what look to be final retail demo kiosks wheeled in - housing retail PS4s that were running a very polished Demo application. It gave you the opportunity to review exclusive and multi-platforms games coming soon, and from that menu you could launch the demos of the games that were playable. I suspect that those demo machines will be updated to include more demos of those titles on that game reel. The other demo sections include information on the likes of PS+ and general information about the console.

The kiosk had two DS4 controllers, and what we assumed to be a Sony display running at 1080p. Playable games were Knack, FIFA 14, Contrast, Octodad, Pinball Arcade and Super Motherload.

Contrary to the Xbox One lock-in, we were asked not to take any video or photos of the games being played. This seemed strange as the whole setup looks way more finished, polished than the XB1 event, which were a bunch of SDKs plugged into random TVs with code that looked much further from completion than the Sony games. This didn't stop me (and others) taking some sly photos while backs were turned.

The DS4 controllers are a huge improvement on the DS3. The controllers feel I guess you can say a bit fatter and more ergonomic in the palms of your hands. The triggers are a massive improvement on the DS3, and although it has a fraction less complete travel than the 360 controller, it feels very good. Looking forward to playing driving and shooters with that thing. Thumb sticks although still parallel didn't take long to feel comfortable. The concaved thumbsticks feel much better than the DS3s.

The first thing that strikes you when you see the PS4 in action is how sharp and polished everything is. Everything in the demo unit is running at 1080p. I suspect the benefit of using integrated demo kiosks is that the displays are standard and configured to show the console's output. There is also little in the way of load times, especially for the full game demos - Knack and FIFA 14.

The first game we played was Knack. Straight away the colourful art style hits you. It also plays very smooth. Animation is smooth, scrolling is fluid, and the demo took you through various levels of gameplay that showed various environments. It reminded me a lot of some old-school platform games, and a bit of Ratchet & Clank. Very enjoyable.

Super Motherload was played next. This showed some interesting ideas - it's a 2D RPG/Puzzle game set in Mars. This showed some old school art-style, but it was a little hard to play given the lack of clear instruction. Probably best to Youtube "XGenStudiosCom" to see a Dev diary of this game. Looks like fun though after viewing the video.

We fired up Pinball Arcade soon after. Such games aren't my thing, but it certainly looked fantastic with it's array of colours. It's about as close a representation of pinball as I have ever seen. I probably won't buy it but it didn't stop me from being impressed with the graphics.

Octodad followed soon after. This was probably the worst looking game of the lot, but that'll probably get polished up before release. Interesting game, unique controls that needed to get used to, but once I got the hang of it, it was fun. Very good humour in this game. I have no idea what the full game will give in terms of story but if it gets good reviews I think I'll get it.

So we played a 1vs1 FIFA 14 game next. FIFA looks *stunning* on PS4. Not so much the players on pitch, but everything around it. The crowd looks incredible, and details such as cameramen, officials and ball-boys around the exterior. It actually feels like you're at the game now - this is something I've been wanting in sports games for ages, and now we have it. Playable teams were Real Madrid, Barcelona, Tottenham and PSG (from what I saw - there may be more). I haven't played FIFA in ages, but what I saw tonight was mighty, mighty impressive. I think it's very sly of Sony to include the FIFA 14 demo in the kiosks - this was the game that was played the majority of the evening, and I feel that a LOT of people started pre-ordering there and then based upon this game alone.

Contrast looked like an interest game involving the clever use of shadows and light dynamics - I did not play it so can't give impressions, but it's bundled now as part of PS+ since DriveClub got delayed so this will be a nice one to play for free when the PS4 is released.

Overall, I am very comfortable that the PS4 is the way to go for me this upcoming generation, and I would dread to put both the XB1 and PS4 side-by-side based from what I've seen over the last couple of days. I sincerely hope that we have yet to see the best from the Xbox One, but what I saw tonight was a product that is already significantly more refined than it's competitor, delivers consistent quality and is a leap forward in terms of the previous Playstation.

The bar has been raised.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Great report! Did Knack leave you wanting to play more or was the demo enough?
    Forum Member
    The Knack demo was enjoyable - it was sections of levels from throughout the game - so you see how developed Knack gets as the game goes on. Was very good fun. I believe that you open new abilities as you collect parts and relics throughout the game, and that opens up controls and multipliers. Lots to keep you going on :)
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    It's a game that I'm interested in so that I have a bit of variety in my games until the likes of Drive Club, Watchdogs etc are released but will hold off preordering until it's been released in the US and more user impressions are doing the rounds. It looks like the kind of game I used to enjoy when I was younger but I think it may get over looked and become a PS+ or heavily discounted game not long after launch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somehow Knack becomes more interesting the more I see of it.

The latest trailer and gameplay looks great and really enjoyable with a bit more action to it than what we saw all the way back in February.
    Forum Member
    Nice report Dan27. Good to know fifa was getting love as the current gen is pants IMO.
    I'm leaning towards PS4 now as this is what the majority of my friends will be buying plus there are some strong rumours about X1 and games coming out in 720p like BF4 and COD Ghosts which surprisingly have tie in with Microsoft, so us a real body blow.

On another note I was undecided about the controllers as I'm liking my 360 over my ps3 controller but looks like the PS4 controller is getting love.
    Forum Member
    Nice pics
    Forum Member
    Hey Dan27 great report on the ps4 lock in thanks for taking the time. Wish more people did!! At this point in time and what with the free to play games coming on the ps4 it defo looks the right way to go.

Good points with the ps resolution. 1080p native vs 1080p upscaled will make a difference. Been reading alot about Ghosts on x1 only being 720p upscaled to 1080p. I'm sure ms will sort it. This console gen FULL hd is minimum requirment.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw a mock up of the console yesterday in Game. Bigger than I thought and slight odd looking!

Although the Game staff did comment it was smaller than they thought it would be lol!
    Forum Member
    jokerz wrote: »
    Saw a mock up of the console yesterday in Game. Bigger than I thought and slight odd looking!

Although the Game staff did comment it was smaller than they thought it would be lol!

Dimension wise, I think it's as wide and tall as a PS3 slim, but seem's longer. For a launch console it's still a thing of beauty, and it seems to be very quiet too. Sony look to have done a really, really good job with the hardware.
    Forum Member
    Could this be why you played x1 dev kit and not on the console itself Dan 27....???
    http://www.examiner.com/article/claim-xbox-one-os-and-xbox-live-a-mess
    Forum Member
    Could this be why you played x1 dev kit and not on the console itself Dan 27....???
    http://www.examiner.com/article/claim-xbox-one-os-and-xbox-live-a-mess

It could be. That is a scary article.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in a way I don't want to go the the demo-night here in Norwich, I'd quite like my first look at the console, and my first hold of the controller to be when I get it out of the box!
    Forum Member
    in a way I don't want to go the the demo-night here in Norwich, I'd quite like my first look at the console, and my first hold of the controller to be when I get it out of the box!

It's well worth going to get used to the controller and to see Forza.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    It's well worth going to get used to the controller and to see Forza.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I'm getting ps4.
    Forum Member
    I think you should go anyway :)