Options

Ginx TV comes to Sky, well not quite, turns into a "sports gaming" channel.

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
Bit disappointed at this news, video games don't have a proper channel and GInx existed, but only on Virgin Media and I think as an online subscription for a stream too, now it is finally coming to Sky on June 23 but they are going to get rid of that and replace it with "ESports TV" just sports gaming tournaments, if they could leave just a little bit of general video game programming as well I'd be most grateful, this'd be the perfect channel to put out E3 Live as Youtube did.

Maybe Youtube or Netflix should also offer a standard broadcast channel to showcase some of their things.

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/sky_and_itv_partner_with_ginx_to_launch_the_uks_only_24_hour_esports_tv_channel?e=email-alerts

Comments

• Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit disappointed at this news, video games don't have a proper channel and GInx existed, but only on Virgin Media and I think as an online subscription for a stream too, now it is finally coming to Sky on June 23 but they are going to get rid of that and replace it with "ESports TV" just sports gaming tournaments, if they could leave just a little bit of general video game programming as well I'd be most grateful, this'd be the perfect channel to put out E3 Live as Youtube did.

Maybe Youtube or Netflix should also offer a standard broadcast channel to showcase some of their things.

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/sky_and_itv_partner_with_ginx_to_launch_the_uks_only_24_hour_esports_tv_channel?e=email-alerts

I'm presuming that it will be encrypted, so they should be receiving a cut of the subscription money.

Surprising news as Sky are increasingly ridding themselves of niche channels in the Sub Club to cut costs.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I'm presuming that it will be encrypted, so they should be receiving a cut of the subscription money.

Surprising news as Sky are increasingly ridding themselves of niche channels in the Sub Club to cut costs.

Well admittedly then I wouldn't have much incentive to subscribe to Sky at all, as channels like Discovery History & Science, CI, and things like Comedy Central are more interesting to me than the Sky Sports channels which apparently drive a lot of subscriptions but to me Sky always appealed because it was more channels with more things to watch that are often more interesting than what was on the main free channels, and "niche" channels can often provide that quite well. Even Sky Movies is less relevant because it's less niche, you could download anything they show, same could even be said for Sky Atlantic, however with niche channels there is something more unique on offer.

Ginx as a FTA channel would be good, I hope they retain some gaming content other than just the tournaments all the time!
  • Options
    NiemirovskyNiemirovsky Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Is it knows how many shares Sky and ITV bought?

And... Is that rebranding concerns other European countries where that is broadcasting as well? :)

I think a few years and Sky maybe will launch their own esports channel, like Sky eSports or something :P
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

I suspect that Sky and ITV are taking a bet that gaming videos and contests will because more popular like they are in South Korea and USA, for example. Take a look here: http://www.fastcompany.com/3027452/how-twitch-hooked-45-million-viewers-to-watch-13-billion-minutes-of-gaming-a-month
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    It won't be free to air folks!
    You need the basic Sky pack to get it. Not sure about what pack on VM it will be in but one can hope M
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still remember when they had a channel called gamenetwork that was games it then went to one them chat channels though. ?
  • Options
    PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect that Sky and ITV are taking a bet that gaming videos and contests will because more popular like they are in South Korea and USA, for example. Take a look here: http://www.fastcompany.com/3027452/how-twitch-hooked-45-million-viewers-to-watch-13-billion-minutes-of-gaming-a-month

Why would anyone subscribe when it is all available freely online. I give this channel 9 months before it vanishes.