Final fantasy 7 coming to PS4 ANNOUNCED AT E3??

Comments

• PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Why would it be any more expensive to make than any other game?

Because of the sheer size? Every single asset in the game will need completely redone, and this is a 60 hour plus game, with multiple times in the game where you'll need extensive cutscenes. There are dozens, hundreds even, of enemies, dozens of materia attacks, heck there's 24 enemy skill attacks alone, 16 summons, chocobo breeding, the Gold Saucer, multiple optional quests etc. etc. If they are doing a one-for-one remake then yeah it's going to get expensive, especially when you add on an orchestral score and full blown voice acting for thousands of lines.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    Because of the sheer size? Every single asset in the game will need completely redone, and this is a 60 hour plus game, with multiple times in the game where you'll need extensive cutscenes. There are dozens, hundreds even, of enemies, dozens of materia attacks, heck there's 24 enemy skill attacks alone, 16 summons, chocobo breeding, the Gold Saucer, multiple optional quests etc. etc. If they are doing a one-for-one remake then yeah it's going to get expensive, especially when you add on an orchestral score and full blown voice acting for thousands of lines.

Witcher 3 is a 200 hour game, far bigger map. As much dialogue and a small team. The music is written and just needs arranged and recorded.
    Anyway, it's irrelevant as it's getting made.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they give any idea when it will be out? I've still got a 300 page Gamefaq.com print out my dad printed at his work for me when I was 12 from when the game first came out in 97 :D:p
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling we will get a 2017 release date as that would be 20th anniversary of the original game. Plus, I presume that next year we will finally get to buy FF15 so even because of that would make more sense if it will be in 2017.

I am SO happy about this, it was my 1st FF game that I played, I was only 9 :) And I remember all the hype around Cloud/Aerith/Tifa triangle, personally I was always rooting for Cloud/Tifa and I think their relationship was actually confirmed years later :D

This also gives me hope that maybe FF8 will have a remake in the future - I know I am in a minority when I say I favor FF8 more than 7.
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about the FFVII remake...for years it's all I wanted from SquareEnix but now it's actually happening, I can't help but feel worried.

If it's a straight up remake then it'll have to use the exact same plot as the original, else the whole Compilation will be pointless.

SquareEnix should have done this on ps3 when it first came out, I can't help but think that most FFVII players have moved on now.

Plus I'll have to buy a PS4 just to play it, because I highly doubt it'll be ported to older consoles. Very conflicted.
  • bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Setting this remade means I will but a PS4. But, and it's a big but, I hope Square take the time to use the full power of the hardware and bring the core mechanics up to date too. The story is still brilliant but, as a game, it's really outdated now. I think it needs a reworking of the interaction between player and storyline rather than walls of text with static background. A remake should be just that, a total overhaul. I hope we don't get the same game with just prettier visuals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Square Enix would make this big announcement if it would have just prettier visuals though - in a way, they already did that HD remake in 2012 where everything was the same but just little polished. I mean, they have to start from scratch anyway so they could massively update and improve the gameplay.

I think only the story will be the same, the rest will be very different, I presume the interaction for example will be just like it was in FF13 trilogy with subtitles on the bottom screen and of course with full voice acting. Also, maybe that motorcycle mini game can be done like they did in FF13-2 with pushing the right buttons during cut-scenes...

I hope that scene with Cloud in a dress while rescuing Tifa will be just as funny as it was in the original :D
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very happy about this - I just hope they get good voice actors. Scenes like Cloud and Sepiroth in the Shin-Ra mansion will NOT work if the voice acting isn't up to scratch!

I've always wanted a full remake of FF6 as that's always been my favourite in the series, but I can appreciate that it probably won't ever happen :-( This FF7 should ease the pain slightly :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Makes me wonder how they will work in game play compared to ps1 especially battles, choco racing and riding and the submarine and even airships
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Heck I just don't want it to be completely removed like it never existed I can't help but feel That the teaser felt like it was going down a different path???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drmaniamad wrote: »
    Heck I just don't want it to be completely removed like it never existed I can't help but feel That the teaser felt like it was going down a different path???

I get why you are worried but I think that it would be pointless to even do the remake if things won't be updated.

Actually, the trailer in my opinion looks like nothing more than an introduction that is talking to the fans who wanted this for so long: the reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear but let us embrace whatever it brings, for they are coming back, at last the promise has been made - I think all these words are directed to the fans, they are finally getting a remake they begged Square Enix to do :) This has very little to do with the story, this isn't a different path, just an announcement.

Besides, anyone who will be disappointed by the remake will always have the original game, no one will take that away from the fans, we can always come back to it.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Aeris survive in the remake?
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

It would piss off a lot of people if she did. Also, she's not actually dead remember.

(for anyone not familiar with the Compilation of FFVII, she's alive in the lifestream but unable to ever return to the planet.)
  • Hank SchraderHank Schrader Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As happy as I am about this news, I also have fears regarding the possibility that Square Enix will cock things up big-style. As long as they have an open world map to explore and keep the Materia system, even if they implement it into a more action based battle system then I will be happy. I'm an obsessive grinder as well so Levelling for characters and Materia also needs to be there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't change ANYTHING with the story because all the other stuff then wouldn't mean anything. Especially not changing the fact that Aeris "died" - that was the crucial moment in the game and in general for video games because it was so shocking. Plus, afterwards we learned about Coud's personality and why has such a connection with her, why he cares so much (Zacks memories) - it all made sense.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that I've had some time to digest this I think this is what I really hope to see in the remake.

-keep the turn based battle system
    -full voice acting throughout
    -keep the soundtrack the same but done with full orchestra
    -keep the side-quests (golden chocobo, weapon etc) but have some extra too
    -materia system is a must
    -would prefer top down screens rather than 3D (I haven't played an FF title since 10 so I don't know how they've handled this in recent titles)
    -world map is a must
    -characters stay true to their original personalities

Just basically don't change too much!!! This will be our one chance to relive this game, I hope they get it right! :)
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Rubrical wrote: »
    Now that I've had some time to digest this I think this is what I really hope to see in the remake.
    I'll throw in my tuppence !
    -keep the turn based battle system
    I hope they don't. I hope they go down the action road. (And I say this as a lover of turn based battles
    -full voice acting throughout
    -keep the soundtrack the same but done with full orchestra
    Absolutely on both.
    -keep the side-quests (golden chocobo, weapon etc) but have some extra too
    The side quests are excellent. I wouldn't be upset if they didn't add any more but I hope they keep the ones that are in there.

Emerald and Ruby especially. I can't wait to rape them in 1080p
    -materia system is a must
    A must ! It's a great battle system.
    -would prefer top down screens rather than 3D (I haven't played an FF title since 10 so I don't know how they've handled this in recent titles)
    Id be fine with a 3rd person view.
    -world map is a must
    -characters stay true to their original personalities
    Absolutely on both again.
    Just basically don't change too much!!! This will be our one chance to relive this game, I hope they get it right! :)
    Yeah. I still want it to feel like FF7 but one that fits in with this generation of gaming.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

That would be super cowardly if they did that. It's one of the most iconic moments in gaming, if not THE most iconic. It's a scene that needs to be realised in full HD. I'm already looking forward to the feels. The most interesting question would be how they do it? Would they make it quite gory? The giant sword going through the stomach will leave a mess, but blood and guts doesn't feel very Final Fantasy.

I'm not expecting much more news on this before 2016, but I would love to see some character models before the end of the year.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »

I hope they don't. I hope they go down the action road. (And I say this as a lover of turn based battles

Absolutely on both.

The side quests are excellent. I wouldn't be upset if they didn't add any more but I hope they keep the ones that are in there.

Yeah. I still want it to feel like FF7 but one that fits in with this generation of gaming.

I agree with you on most of this Yuffie but if they get rid of the turn based battling I do think it will ruin it for me.

All I want them to do is improve the graphics and sound and that's it.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely on both.

Ooh, I must ask why you'd want a change from turn based? I'm intrigued! :p
  • Hank SchraderHank Schrader Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a massive fan of the old FF games and also Persona 3/4, I would LOVE them the keep a turn based system for the new game, however I feel newcomers to the game will be like 'WWF?' so suspect it will be a more action orientated system. Whatever they decide on, we need all the magic and summons available, albeit without having to watch 'Knights of the Round' for god knows how long every time. A summon working alongside the ongoing battles would be fine.
    Forum Member
    Rubrical wrote: »
    Ooh, I must ask why you'd want a change from turn based? I'm intrigued! :p

A fair question.

And one I'm not sure on how to answer. Basically I'm imagining Advent Children combat for VII and I love the thought of it. Im assuming you guys have seen it. Think of the battle in Midgar at the end of it. That's what I'm imagining the battles will be like in VII.

Advent Children: Cloud v Sephiroth
    http://youtu.be/WyPlwtBTXpk
    Forum Member
    As a massive fan of the old FF games and also Persona 3/4, I would LOVE them the keep a turn based system for the new game, however I feel newcomers to the game will be like 'WWF?' so suspect it will be a more action orientated system. Whatever they decide on, we need all the magic and summons available, albeit without having to watch 'Knights of the Round' for god knows how long every time. A summon working alongside the ongoing battles would be fine.

Lol. KotR is painfully long. Especially when you double summon it and then mime and then mime ....... And then mime.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fair question.

And one I'm not sure on how to answer. Basically I'm imagining Advent Children combat for VII and I love the thought of it. Im assuming you guys have seen it. Think of the battle in Midgar at the end of it. That's what I'm imagining the battles will be like in VII.

Advent Children: Cloud v Sephiroth
    http://youtu.be/WyPlwtBTXpk

The is such a good battle but I still can't help but want the turn based stuff haha
    Forum Member
    The is such a good battle but I still can't help but want the turn based stuff haha

I wouldn't be disappointed if they went turn based but I'll keep hoping for action.