Chris Evans controversy: Blown out of proportion

Comments

• sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    If I had Radio 1's playlist I'd be playing one song an hour too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is all this tosh about being "grown up" and "grown up radio"?

If being grown up means listening to Parky, Carrington, Littleton et al then I hope it never happens to me.

No, this is not about being grown up or not. This is about generations differing in their music taste.

If I'm honest I think it's a shame the likes of the above presenters don't get a better crack of the whip on Radio 2. I wouldn't listen if you paid me but there are many who would, and they should be catered for better by a public broadcaster.

Radio 2's obsession with being younger is great for me personally (I'm 45) as at last it's doing things I like. I abandoned Radio 1 about 10 years ago. I don't do sport so 5Live's out. Radio 4 is too much of a busman's holiday (I'm a journalist) and classical music isn't my thing.

So all power to Chris's elbow, though I think older listeners are being short-changed by the BBC.

Since the BBC doesn't need the ratings to exist, why not make Radio 2 older not younger?
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant stand listening to Chris Evans new radio show for 3 reasons:
    1. He doesnt talk, he shouts
    2. He never fails to talk over the end of a song (and sometimes the middle)
    3. His co host Jonny also shouts instead of speaks.
    I was never a TOG, but anyone that TALKS without shouting would get my vote for replacing Mr Evans
    Forum Member
    Clank you've just described my impression of Steve Wright's show! :)
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahcs wrote: »
    Clank you've just described my impression of Steve Wright's show! :)

Hi Sarah!
    There's one more annoying aspect to the Steve Wright show too....whenever they have anyone on as a guest, everyone wets themselves laughing at whatever they say..... They should rename it - 'the Fawning at guests' show
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    It's hardly difficult to listen to and neither is it cliquish or smutty like Chris' predesessor was.

'I'm folked this morning. Totally folked'
  • atkinsatkins Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    So when Chris Evans has been driven off the breakfast show by closed minded people not willing to give him a chance, who exactly does everyone suggests takes over from him?

Johnnie Walker
    Jonathan Ross
    Danny Baker
    Roger Day
    Mark Lamaar
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what if Russell Davies was a jazz musician? He plays crap records. I challenge Davies to start playing some real music:

Pink Floyd, Led Zeplin, Jimi Hendrix, Mike Oldfield, Bob Marley rather than the jazzy crap he plays week in, week out.

R2 should play the likes of Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix etc instead of inane pop like Take That, Robbie Williams, Girls Aloud, Mika etc which belongs on commercial radio and has no place on a supposed adult Publis service broadcaster.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atkins wrote: »
    R2 should play the likes of Floyd, Zeppelin, Hendrix etc instead of inane pop like Take That, Robbie Williams, Girls Aloud, Mika etc which belongs on commercial radio and has no place on a supposed adult Publis service broadcaster.

The latter artists you mention fit in R2's current daytime format, those type of artists were being played in the 80s. Shakin' Stevens for example was being played pre Frances Line.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twaddle! I'm 52 and can appreciate the best of all the artists you list - yes, even Girls Aloud.
  • slimjimslimjim Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beat Nick wrote: »
    Since the BBC doesn't need the ratings to exist, why not make Radio 2 older not younger?

It doesn't need the ratings to exist, but surely a radio network that's funded by a tax on every television in the country has a duty to provide entertaining, popular radio for the millions of people who are too old for youth radio, like myself for example.

If R2 were to turn into a new version of the Light Programme, churning out old jazz and showtune standards and manned by the likes of Davies, Parky and Daz Carrington, millions of listeners would become disenfranchised. It just can't happen.
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slimjim wrote: »

If R2 were to turn into a new version of the Light Programme, churning out old jazz and showtune standards and manned by the likes of Davies, Parky and Daz Carrington, millions of listeners would become disenfranchised. It just can't happen.

Another reason the BBC need to look at the digital services they are providing at present.

If they did what some here are suggesting and made radio 2 more "light" those of us that are too old for Radio 1 would have nowhere to go leaving us not catered for so no-one wins.

6Music for example. The sort of music being played is also being churned out (almost) nationwide by NME on D1 so if the BBC flipped the format to a "Light" format no-one would lose.
  • johnpettersjohnpetters Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason the BBC need to look at the digital services they are providing at present.

If they did what some here are suggesting and made radio 2 more "light" those of us that are too old for Radio 1 would have nowhere to go leaving us not catered for so no-one wins.

6Music for example. The sort of music being played is also being churned out (almost) nationwide by NME on D1 so if the BBC flipped the format to a "Light" format no-one would lose.

I think you have it about right Ramsey. At the moment the boot is on the foot of the younger listeners at the expense of those who prefer radio light.

Maybe 6 or 1 extra could be turned into Radio 2 as is or Radio 2 light.

To be fair, there are plenty of commercial pop / rock stations but nothing that caters for Light - and I use the word in its broadest sense, as thee is noting light about Louis Armstrong or Duke Ellington.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Millions of listeners are disenfranchised now by Radio 2 pop. Why can't it happen?
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mint, where are you???:confused:
    Forum Member
    Johnnie Walker
    Jonathan Ross
    Danny Baker
    Roger Day
    Mark Lamaar

Oh how brilliant would that be! I'd love a mardy breakfast show presenter... :)
    Forum Member
    invisible post
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mint, where are you???:confused:
    I suspect he's moved to Leicester?
  • slimjimslimjim Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Millions of listeners are disenfranchised now by Radio 2 pop. Why can't it happen?

Because in my view many more stand to lose out if it does. A Light Programme R2 would only be catering to a relatively small minority interest. I do think there should be an additional station to provide that, but certainly not at the expense of the mainstream R2 listeners.

You're more likely to see the Black & White Minstrel Show make a comeback on BBC1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because in my view many more stand to lose out if it does. A Light Programme R2 would only be catering to a relatively small minority interest. I do think there should be an additional station to provide that, but certainly not at the expense of the mainstream R2 listeners.

You're more likely to see the Black & White Minstrel Show make a comeback on BBC1.

How small a minority?
    How many potential listeners between the age of say 60 and 110?
    Then there are all the under 60s that would listen.
    It would pull listeners away from Classic FM, 5Live and 4 - maybe 3 as well..
    The existing pop fans of course still have radios 1, 1extra, 6 all the local stations and the commercials that play, broadly speaking Radio 2 pop from the last three decades - so I hardly think they will be disenfranchised.

Anyway, if John Wright's suggestion of a daily Light programme for a couple of hours materialised, those pop listeners, who have it all their own way at the moment, would only lose a couple of hours each day - they could easily re-tune.
    Seems a fair and equitable arrangement to me.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The existing pop fans of course still have radios 1, 1extra, 6 all the local stations and the commercials that play, broadly speaking Radio 2 pop from the last three decades - so I hardly think they will be disenfranchised.
    I disagree - with the exception of the new breakfast show, where I think the music policy is a backward step, the music played by Radio 2 in the daytime differs significantly from all those you list. It is much broader, more interesting and less predictable.
  • MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    People like the late Benny Green, Humph, Malcolm Laycock and currently, Desmond Carrington, David Jacobs, Russell Davies, Alyn Shipton, Michael Parkinson and Paul Barnes all play records but have a talent of conveying information in a grown-up manner.

Since you mentioned David Jacobs how refreshing it was to hear him on the Chris Evan's show at 8.15 this morning, he had recorded onto CD "hello there, you're listening to the Chris Evans breakfast show on BBC Radio Two" and his selected track, which immediately followed it, was I'm Gonna Shine Today by Maurice Chevalier. He told Chris when he handed the CD over to him yesterday that he thought it would be perfect for his show, it was, fitted into the positive and upbeat nature of the programme and playlist perfectly.

Chris said when introducing this that lots of nice people work at Radio 2 and that one of the best was David Jacobs who was an absolute legend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Twaddle! I'm 52 and can appreciate the best of all the artists you list - yes, even Girls Aloud.

I bet you wouldn't admit that in public.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, if John Wright's suggestion of a daily Light programme for a couple of hours materialised, those pop listeners, who have it all their own way at the moment, would only lose a couple of hours each day - they could easily re-tune.

Scott wouldn't be able to retune.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »
    I cant stand listening to Chris Evans new radio show for 3 reasons:
    1. He doesnt talk, he shouts
    2. He never fails to talk over the end of a song (and sometimes the middle)
    3. His co host Jonny also shouts instead of speaks.
    I was never a TOG, but anyone that TALKS without shouting would get my vote for replacing Mr Evans

I'm sorry I couldnt disagree more - you must have your radio turned up too high, Evans is just excitable. You may not have been a TOG but you maybe a GOM. No offence meant.