Options

Vestra's Victorian Morality

podlover98podlover98 Posts: 226
Forum Member
Why does Madame Vestra flaunt round in her veil pretending the whole world is against her yet that potato man thing enjoys the freedom of the city and has mates in both London and Glasgow? Just a bit bizarre.

Also her comments to Clara were a bit pervy.

Comments

• Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    podlover98 wrote: »
    Why does Madame Vestra flaunt round in her veil pretending the whole world is against her yet that potato man thing enjoys the freedom of the city and has mates in both London and Glasgow? Just a bit bizarre.

She was kind of flirting with Clara. I guess she found Clara attractive, which Clara denotes at one point.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I swear, 90% of the questions on this message board were answered, explicitly, within the episode.

"I wear a veil to keep from view what many are pleased to call my disfigurement. I do not wear it as a courtesy to such people, but as a judgment on the quality of their hearts."
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A Silurian lizard unveiled .... :o:)
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    I swear, 90% of the questions on this message board were answered, explicitly, within the episode.

"I wear a veil to keep from view what many are pleased to call my disfigurement. I do not wear it as a courtesy to such people, but as a judgment on the quality of their hearts."

For the sake of other people reading who might have questions, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with not having picked up on some particular bit of dialogue, and I hope people would feel like they can ask. I know many would disagree.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »

Surely the OP isn't asking what her rationale is but why the same rationale doesn't apply to Sontarans wandering around London.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the OP isn't asking what her rationale is but why the same rationale doesn't apply to Sontarans wandering around London.

Well I guess it's that Strax looks less strange than Vastra to the Victorians. She is clearly a lizard Lady where as he could be a deformed dwarf, victim of an industrial accident? Take your pick. As there were limited ways of correcting problems then people just got on with life and people didn't notice missing fingers and stuff.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    In Victorian Britain, he could claim to be "Peruvian" and no-one would know the difference. There were few photographic sources available to the public and no TV or cinema and that was in an era where new discoveries were being made daily. People knew there were amazing things they hadn't seen but had no idea how to interpret them - giraffes were genuinely thought to be the result of a leopard mating with a camel.

Strax (the "potato man") could pass for a somewhat odd human (all Sontarans looks like Clive James anyway). but there's no way for Vastra to pass herself off as "a bit foreign looking".

Also - it's possible (given some other scenes in that episode) that Vastra's veil is not just a piece of lace. There may be tech at work - something similar to a perception filter - so we may not be seeing her as the people around her do when she wears it.
  • Options
    MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (all Sontarans looks like Clive James anyway).

Greg Wallace, surely?
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because Strax gives absolutely no toss what people think of his visage or how it might come across. Vastra is more aware of the difficulties it might cause and she is far more likely to have to interact with people. Strax also at least has human skintone.

Flirting with Clara wasn't 'pervy'. She was impressed by her feisty response and said so. Jenny picked up on the fact that this is trait Vastra finds attractive and lightly scolded her for her interest. Not sure what was pervy there.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member

Strax (the "potato man") could pass for a somewhat odd human (all Sontarans looks like Clive James anyway). but there's no way for Vastra to pass herself off as "a bit foreign looking".

I'd have said Greg Wallace myself ....:D
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Greg Wallace, surely?

Snap!!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the era of the freakshow - the elephant man, bearded ladies, seal-boy etc. I expect people would stare at Strax, but would imagine he was from a travelling fair, on his day off.
    Vastra could probably get away with it too - the Victorians had no real concept of space aliens or even that life was possible off Earth. There may be a possibility of being mistaken for a demon though.
    Interesting point about the veil being a perception filter though, hadn't thought of that:)
  • Options
    sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My main problem is that Sontarans presumably speak the Sontaran language, the Tardis translates for the Doctor/companions/us, so how come the population of London/Glasgow can understand what he's saying? They couldn't understand the Sycorax until the Tardis/Doctor link started to translate for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    My main problem is that Sontarans presumably speak the Sontaran language, the Tardis translates for the Doctor/companions/us, so how come the population of London/Glasgow can understand what he's saying? They couldn't understand the Sycorax until the Tardis/Doctor link started to translate for them.

All sontarans probably know English, and its passed on through cloning. If a dalek can learn German, I'm sure sontarans learnt other languages.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

Obviously the TARDIS's psychic gift stretches as far as it needs to - Strax isn't necessarily speaking Sontaran:
    THE DOCTOR: No, no, no, that's the TARDIS translation circuits, just makes it look like English. Speech as well, you're talking Latin right now.
    DONNA: Seriously?
    THE DOCTOR: Uh huh.
    DONNA: I just said 'seriously' in Latin.
    THE DOCTOR: Oh yeah.
    DONNA: What if I said something in actual Latin? Like, 'Veni, vidi, vici'? My dad said that when he came back from football. If I said 'Veni, vidi, vici' to that lot, what would it sound like?
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member

You're assuming that a Sontaran couldn't simply learn to speak English. Don't forget that aside from spending so much time on Earth with Vastra and Jenny, Strax was apparently living with or around humans for an unknown period of time before he met them - it would make perfect sense for him to learn English.

Besides, we know that Sontarans CAN speak English - or at least are able to produce real-time translations without the Tardis' being involved - we saw them talking to Rattigan before the Doctor arrived in "Sontaran Stratagem" and it's clear that they'd been communicating with humans for a long time before then.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    ..... Strax also at least has human skintone.

Well, at least for one of the TOWIE lot :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not a courtesy, it's a judgment. Vastra knows she doesn't have to wear a veil, she chooses to. It's an affirmative choice, and one that Strax hasn't made. He just doesn't care.
    For the sake of other people reading who might have questions, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with not having picked up on some particular bit of dialogue, and I hope people would feel like they can ask. I know many would disagree.

Questions are fine, encouraged. Mining for plot holes is silly. OP sounded relatively sarcastic, looked more interested in point scoring. Apologies if I've misinterpreted!