Site Finder Upgrade

Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone know when the next upgrade to site finder is due? so much has changed since its last upgrade, with all the adding and removal of masts everywhere.

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that it's down to the mobile operators to supply the info - which most of them aren't now.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, none of the networks supply data anymore so probably the best guess for the next update is never.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    Yep, none of the networks supply data anymore so probably the best guess for the next update is never.

I thought O2 and Voda still provide data?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I'm sure O2 will still provide data as even their coverage checker tells you where all the local masts are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, all of the networks have now stopped. O2 is the most recent but still 18 months out of date. Three stopped early in 2012, Vodafone in 2011, Orange in 2010 and T-Mobile in 2005 (as they were the first to complain). Even Network Rail have stopped so the info showing is whatever was in these last updates.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ofcom need to force the networks to provide this information as it can be quite useful.

thanks for the replies
    Forum Member
    Nope, all of the networks have now stopped. O2 is the most recent but still 18 months out of date. Three stopped early in 2012, Vodafone in 2011, Orange in 2010 and T-Mobile in 2005 (as they were the first to complain). Even Network Rail have stopped so the info showing is whatever was in these last updates.

Thanks again Japaul.
    Your contribution on this forum has been great.
    Are there any public sources available that confirm when o2 and vodafone stopped?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Thanks again Japaul.
    Are there any public sources available that confirm when o2 and vodafone stopped?

It tells you about it here http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/sitefinder/sitefinder-dataset/
    Forum Member
    Kierankay wrote: »

Brilliant. Just what i was looking for.

Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ofcom need to force the networks to provide this information as it can be quite useful.
    No chance of that I'm afraid as Ofcom have effectively supported the network's reasons. In fact it's Ofcom, not the networks that have been in court fighting the Information Commissioner over this.

A bit of background if anyone is interested.

Sitefinder was setup as a result of a report into the effects of mobile phones on health which said that the public should be able to easily find out the location of base stations in their locality. This was duly setup with the networks voluntarily supplying the info and the public could search around a postcode but not easily zoom out and see a complete national picture.

After a few years someone in the NHS requested all the raw data for the site locations. Ofcom refused but was then ordered to supply it by the Information Commissioner. Ofcom still refused and joined by T-Mobile took it's appeals through tribunals and all of the Courts as far as the Supreme Court and then onto Europe with it's arguments regarding assisting criminals, IP etc. Basically we have been left with Ofcom having to publish the data it has but as the networks only supplied it voluntarily there are now no updates. A a taxpayer, when you think these were effectively public bodies fighting it out through all the courts in the land it's hard to know whether you should laugh or cry.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance of that I'm afraid as Ofcom have effectively supported the network's reasons. In fact it's Ofcom, not the networks that have been in court fighting the Information Commissioner over this.

A bit of background if anyone is interested.

Sitefinder was setup as a result of a report into the effects of mobile phones on health which said that the public should be able to easily find out the location of base stations in their locality. This was duly setup with the networks voluntarily supplying the info and the public could search around a postcode but not easily zoom out and see a complete national picture.

After a few years someone in the NHS requested all the raw data for the site locations. Ofcom refused but was then ordered to supply it by the Information Commissioner. Ofcom still refused and joined by T-Mobile took it's appeals through tribunals and all of the Courts as far as the Supreme Court and then onto Europe with it's arguments regarding assisting criminals, IP etc. Basically we have been left with Ofcom having to publish the data it has but as the networks only supplied it voluntarily there are now no updates. A a taxpayer, when you think these were effectively public bodies fighting it out through all the courts in the land it's hard to know whether you should laugh or cry.

Thank you for the background information much appreciated I had no idea that was what it was originally intended for.
  • macharemachare Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A a taxpayer, when you think these were effectively public bodies fighting it out through all the courts in the land it's hard to know whether you should laugh or cry.
    Sadly, you just have to pay.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Thanks again Japaul.

Well that's very kind of you, thanks. I think your posts also give us some excellent insights. Still feel a bit of a novice having only started posting here earlier this year but there are some really knowledgeable people here. I usually post on industry analysis and the network technical side. Try not to be too loyal to any particular network. Not so good on the latest phones or price plans.