Options

How do you tell the difference between a boy and a girl?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A friend has just got a kitten, obviously one can normally tell which gender from which. But, as s/he is such a tiny creature we cannot tell what sex s/he is.

Does anybody have any idea what we can do to tell the sex of the kitten?

It's important as s/he will be living with a male cat.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
    Forum Member
    I've never to this day ever found out if our tortoise is a boy or a girl.

Apparently it's extremely difficult to tell the difference.

So we just called him Paddy.

We are not about to try and breed, so it doesn't matter on that score, but would still be good to know how to tell the difference. :)

Though, I'm sure with dogs and cats, and especially small kittens, there's bound to be more obvious signs, but I'm sure some knowledgeable folks will be onboard soon to tell you how to look for them. ;)
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Take the kitten to the vet and s/he will sex the kitten.

The kitten needs to go to the vet anyway for vaccinations, also for worming and flea treatments and a general check over.

It matters not at all whether the kitten is male or female as the it will of course be neutered at 5 months.:)
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JTW wrote: »

We are not about to try and breed, so it doesn't matter on that score, but would still be good to know how to tell the difference. :)

Though, I'm sure with dogs and cats, and especially small kittens, there's bound to be more obvious signs, but I'm sure some knowledgeable folks will be onboard soon to tell you how to look for them. ;)

it depends which type of tort you have
    if the tail is short & stubby, it's a girl, it's it's longish & thick, you have a boy
    in some, males have a concave under shell, females have a flat one
    it's like this as it would be a bit difficult for them to get their job on with him having a flat one ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have both. If both opennings are wide apart its a boy and if there closer together its a girl it also looks like an upside down exclamation mark
    . My boy cat is already getting his bits and he is 7 wks today. Sounds a daft question what colour are they. As tortishells are nearly always female and ginger are nearly always male.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are picture on the net - but basically if the two 'holes' are close together it is a girl, far apart it is a boy. Usually useful to have two kittens of opposite sex to compare. At eight weeks (minimum age for kitten to leave its mum) you should be able to tell reasonably easy, but 13 weeks (age from a reputable breeder) it is very obvious.

As for living with a male, there should be no problem if he is neutered. If he isn't you'll get problems boy or girl. Two entire males will fight, entire male & female - as soon as she is in heat he'll have her. Some cats (usually orientals) have their first call very young so the sooner she is spayed the better. Some vets will do an early (12 week) spay but most wait until 5 or even 6 months.

Don't ask me about sexing dogs though - had to get my mum to check I'd bought a bitch when I got Buffy:o Mother actually rolled her eyes at me:o I can tell now though:)
  • Options
    SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    Take the kitten to the vet and s/he will sex the kitten.

The kitten needs to go to the vet anyway for vaccinations, also for worming and flea treatments and a general check over.

It matters not at all whether the kitten is male or female as the it will of course be neutered at 5 months.:)

This!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    I have both. If both opennings are wide apart its a boy and if there closer together its a girl it also looks like an upside down exclamation mark
    . My boy cat is already getting his bits and he is 7 wks today. Sounds a daft question what colour are they. As tortishells are nearly always female and ginger are nearly always male.

It's true tortoisehell cats are nearly always female as male tortoishells need to have unusual genetics, (XXY rather than XY) and so even when they occur they are virtually always infertile but female gingers, although less common than males, are not all that uncommon :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ what Tass said.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nuts.

Visible by a few weeks old if you look carefully. Certainly long before you need to worry about your other cats getting frisky with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    Tass wrote: »
    It's true tortoisehell cats are nearly always female as male tortoishells need to have unusual genetics, (XXY rather than XY) and so even when they occur they are virtually always infertile but female gingers, although less common than males, are not all that uncommon :)

I had a ginger and white female once. I thought they were quite rare. She was, anyway. She was a wonderful cat and I still miss her now, even though her successor has been curling up happily on my bed for more than 8 years now. He's pretty wonderful too (a common black, but very beautiful, angular head).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diva_moon wrote: »
    I had a ginger and white female once. I thought they were quite rare. She was, anyway. She was a wonderful cat and I still miss her now, even though her successor has been curling up happily on my bed for more than 8 years now. He's pretty wonderful too (a common black, but very beautiful, angular head).

Every individual cat is a rarity in its own right. That's why we love them so much, and why they are all irreplaceble :)
    Siamese crosses are quite often black, slim, elegant and have angular heads. Does that description fit him and is he particular noisy by any chance?
    If so there may be some Siamese in his background :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My mum had a ginger female cat, she wasn't particularly special, big fat ginger lump :D And my tortoiseshell girl's mother was ginger, as was my ginger boy's (different mums). Not very unusual, although as Tass says, every cat is unique;)
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »

The kitten is dark grey. We did indeed take it to the vet and it turned out to be.......................................a male!

To complicate matters further, another housemate has moved in and the non doctored Tom is trying it on with the recently doctored female of his. (I have created another thread about this state of affairs).

The owner of the Tom doesn't want him to be doctored.

I know at one time cat owners were encouraged to have their cats done to prevent unwanted kittens, but read somewhere that this policy has been discontinued as it was "too successful". To be honest, I seem to see far fewer adverts for kittens these days and some individuals even charge for non pedigree kittens.

I shall create a new thread to see what other folk think...
  • Options
    funkycubfunkycub Posts: 9,350
    Forum Member
    JTW wrote: »

Erm sorry if you are getting your cat vaccinated and boosted like you should be, I cannot see how you would not know! The vet would tell you.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The kitten is dark grey. We did indeed take it to the vet and it turned out to be.......................................a male!

To complicate matters further, another housemate has moved in and the non doctored Tom is trying it on with the recently doctored female of his. (I have created another thread about this state of affairs).

The owner of the Tom doesn't want him to be doctored.

I know at one time cat owners were encouraged to have their cats done to prevent unwanted kittens, but read somewhere that this policy has been discontinued as it was "too successful". To be honest, I seem to see far fewer adverts for kittens these days and some individuals even charge for non pedigree kittens.

I shall create a new thread to see what other folk think...

Our local rescues have been inundated with kittens this year, so I don't think neutering has been 'too successful'

Neutering is the way to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    funkycub wrote: »
    Erm sorry if you are getting your cat vaccinated and boosted like you should be, I cannot see how you would not know! The vet would tell you.:confused:

JTW has a tortoise not a cat.

Tortoises aren't so easy to sex.