Dog problem - people think it's taking a dump everywhere.

I'm round at my folks at the moment and they have 2 dogs, one a dog and one a bitch.

The bitch over the past year or so has slowly developed a blockage in her uretha passage; ie the tube from where she pees.

Several months ago she went to the vets and to cut a long story short, the tests were inconclusive and nothing was done, only that if she can pee then she'll be alright, but if it block up the vet told my old folks that she'd be a sick dog prety quickly. She's about 12/13 now, so my folks are just letting things go on and don't want any surgery at the age she is, and intend to just put her to sleep if she blocks up and gets sick.

However she always wants to get down and pee. Take her for a walk and she'll get down 4 or 5 times in as many minutes, and in 30-40 minutes she'll have been down to pee 20-30 times. I think the blockage may give her the sensation of wanting to pee, as most times there's nothing there, but she seems to be forcing and as such she doesn't squat down like she used to, and many bitch dogs do. She is arching her back most times, as though forcing, but that makes it look like she's taking a dump instead. Because she does it fairly frequently it is attracting attention.

We've all had no brain numpties making comments, which is fair enough nobody want to step in dog crap. However she isn't doing that anyway and I'm not sure if telling 3/4/5/6/7 people all the time for walkies is appropriate, but then again neither is breaking their noses, and just ingnoring their stupid comments and fastidious OCD type cleanliness and snooty behaviour gets me seething too.

What's best, tell everyone, smack them, ignore them but seeth, or just not bother taking the dogs out as it's just not worth the constant hassle from single celled brained prats?

Comments

• MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor thing! I wonder why your parents are letting their dog suffer!! :confused: I wonder if she has bladder/urethra stones! We had an old bitch who kept doing little wees and often nothing at all even though she clearly felt like she needed to wee and would squat down.

An operation cured it and her problem was several little stones in her bladder, and once they were removed, she was perfectly OK and we had to put something (forget what it was as it was about 15 years ago) in her drinking water to change the acidity and she went on to live until she was almost 16 years of age!
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I'd pretend to pick up the phantom poo. Then you don't have to explain anything and obviously there is nothing left behind to give you away.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I'd be more worried about the dog than about the numpty comments. I understand that your parents don't want to put her through surgery at her age but she should at least be made comfortable, and from what you're reporting she seems to be in discomfort.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd quite enjoy the repeated scenario.

"I hope you're going to pick that up."

"Pick what up?"

"That dog shit."

"What dog shit?"

"That dog shit.................oh, I thought the dog was shitting."

"Nah - she saves that up for when she gets to your garden gate."
  • fitziifitzii Posts: 2,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog was doing something very similar a few years ago, an xray showed up bladder stones and at just 15 years old and told of the risks operating on her at that age were, but she was clearly in much discomfort i felt there was no choice really but risk it after the op and a few days in recovery she was a new dog and now all going well she will 18 in feb!

I'm not saying it would be the same with your family dog... but i would be more concerned for the dog that some comments people make
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She doesn't seem to be in obvious pain or even discomfort.

She can't tell us this, of course, but she can lay down, she can play with toys etc, like she always has. The only obvious problem is that she gets down a lot to pee. It takes a few attempts for her to empty her bladder, and then seems to carry on as though there's a sensation to pee still. BUT there's no obvious sign of discomfort.

As for the why's and wherefore's to my old folks thinking, well that's another question and I don't want to bring the wider implications of this, and the dog's condition into it really. As cold as it might sound, it's not my dog, neither of them are, even though we get on and I've taken them out for walks and played with them when I've been there. Ultimately though they are responsible for them and they are their business.

Personally I'd have a cat if I was in a position to do so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I'd get her xrayed, and then go from there...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dynamoe88 wrote: »
    She doesn't seem to be in obvious pain or even discomfort.

She can't tell us this, of course, but she can lay down, she can play with toys etc, like she always has. The only obvious problem is that she gets down a lot to pee. It takes a few attempts for her to empty her bladder, and then seems to carry on as though there's a sensation to pee still. BUT there's no obvious sign of discomfort.

As for the why's and wherefore's to my old folks thinking, well that's another question and I don't want to bring the wider implications of this, and the dog's condition into it really. As cold as it might sound, it's not my dog, neither of them are, even though we get on and I've taken them out for walks and played with them when I've been there. Ultimately though they are responsible for them and they are their business.

Personally I'd have a cat if I was in a position to do so.

This repeated trying to pee and arched back straining is in itself an obvious sign of trying to relieve discomfort!

She is constantly trying to pee because she is suffering from constant irritation/discomfort.

Have you, or anyone you know, ever had cystitus?

In its least severe form it involves a constant feeling of needing to pee and this itself is VERY uncomfortable even without any other symptoms.

In more severe forms it can be a very painful condition, including a sharp, burning pain and blood in the urine and it can lead to very serious kidney infections.

I know this dog hasn't been diagnosed as having cystitus but this on going irritation and repeated straining can in itself lead to furthur irritation and damage and even cystitus.

Even if they don't get stuck and cause blackages bladder stones can catch and scrape and rub at the delicate internal surfaces causing increasing damage and irritation and inflammation.

As far as experiencing bladder stones a male friend of mine had bladder stones which he found to be very painful.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I realise it's not your dog OP, but your description of a dog who is clearly straining to pee 20-30 times per walk indicates she needs a vet re-visit. If she was not in discomfort she wouldn't be exhibiting those symptoms. Getting the symptoms treated will mean the numpty comments will cease, I can't see any other way of dealing with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poor dog, she must be in such discomfort. It isn't normal to pee like that in any animal.

We had a very sick fox in our garden do that every couple of steps - it was horrible to see and felt very sorry for it.
  • bluecatbluecat Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    My old dog used to squat from time to time, not because he needed to pee/poo, but because he just needed to stretch his spine.

He had a stroke, from which he made an excellent recovery, but he lost a lot of muscle tone while he was ill, hence the arching and stretching to relieve a touch of stiffness in his legs and back.

Anyway, naturally people assumed he was squatting to poo, so I got used to murmuring reassurance to the dog, just loud enough for passers by to hear.
    You know the sort of thing - 'Oh, poor old thing - back giving you trouble today, old boy?'

People's frowns usually turned to sympathetic smiles - I think anyone who's had an elderly dog, or even had a bad back themselves, can understand.