Options

Is "Baby One More Time" By Britney THE most iconic, best debut ever?

Comments

• Options
    georgebarnesgeorgebarnes Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise Carly Rae Jepson was 27 ish. Sounds like something else a 17 year old girl would sing.
    The only reason Hit Me Baby One More Time stands out as a debut single is every one of her songs after is awful. (my opinion.)

thats fine as its your opinion but i dissagree. Purely because i dont actually even like BOMT that much, toxic, everytime and till the world ends are IMO all superior.
  • Options
    TheWildHeartTheWildHeart Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think Leona's Bleeding Love debut was quite iconic. Just watching how she went from UK reality star to Grammy nominee in little over a year on one song was incredible.

I personally wouldn't call Bleeding Love iconic. It's a popular song but that's pretty much it. It didn't really make a huge pop culture impact like Madonna and Britney did. Popular doesn't always equal iconic. Take Katy Perry for example, I don't think anything she's released is iconic in any way shape or form. I highly doubt some of the #1 singles she had from Teenage Dream are going to be all that talked about or remembered in 20 years time.
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Call Me Maybe would be up there, but it wasn't a debut single. Same with songs like Party Rock Anthem and Gangnam Style and Somebody That I Used to Know. Those artists had been in music long before and had many "flops" beforehand.

She had a previous singles? Did they have any success? :eek: lol I'm so shocked

I loved LMFAO's music before Party Rock Anthem, now they're just annoying (besides Sexy and I Know It, the video is funny :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She had a previous singles? Did they have any success? :eek: lol I'm so shocked

I loved LMFAO's music before Party Rock Anthem, now they're just annoying (besides Sexy and I Know It, the video is funny :D)

yea i think i know carly did, but what sorta music did lmfao do? :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't call Bleeding Love iconic. It's a popular song but that's pretty much it. It didn't really make a huge pop culture impact like Madonna and Britney did. Popular doesn't always equal iconic. Take Katy Perry for example, I don't think anything she's released is iconic in any way shape or form. I highly doubt some of the #1 singles she had from Teenage Dream are going to be all that talked about or remembered in 20 years time.

Cherry Chapstick flew off the shelves, though haha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Cherry Chapstick flew off the shelves, though haha.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yea i think i know carly did, but what sorta music did lmfao do? :eek:

You've never heard Shots? That song was HUGE at parties. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ&sns=em
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've never heard Shots? That song was HUGE at parties. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ&sns=em

omg lol, i remember, had no idea it was them though :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omg lol, i remember, had no idea it was them though :o

Isn't it surprising that they are both related to Berry Gordy?
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Spice Girls - Wannabe comes close though.

I would actually say its this one. Its one of those moments that you had to live through to understand it. When those girls first started it was like nothing music had seen since The Beatles. Music channels were playing Wannabe on a loop it was that popular. Its cultural impact was massive.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you forgotten that Kelly Clarkson, the most successful reality singing show contestant winner since Star Search exists? By the time Leona was getting ready to release an album, Kelly, Carrie, and Fantasia were already successful, getting nominated for Grammys and winning them and they were reality show winners.

I'm talking about UK reality TV contestants there. No reality star from the UK had seen much success until Leona came along and changed the view of reality contestants from the UK.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's definitely one of the most iconic debuts in pop, along with Wannabe by Spice Girls. Love or hate Britney, you can't deny the impact the song had on pop culture. Baby One More Time and Wannabe are pop classics as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm talking about UK reality TV contestants there. No reality star from the UK had seen much success until Leona came along and changed the view of reality contestants from the UK.

It doesn't matter where they are from. OP is talking about the most iconic debut single. Leona being British does not make her somehow more iconic. She's the same as everybody else with a big label behind them, no matter what country they are from. Drake is Canadian and Best I Ever Had was nominated for two Grammys and was a massive hit.

I can't think of any debut since Baby One More Time that has had as big of an impact, tbh. IKAG is probably the closest. Most of the newer pop girls, had a lot of success with their worldwide debuts, though. I also agree that the video did have A LOT to do with the success.
  • Options
    TheWildHeartTheWildHeart Posts: 122
    Forum Member

But her success hasn't really been long-lasting in most countries outside of the UK. She's proof that having a good voice and winning a popular talent show isn't always enough to substain a successful music career. She may very well come out with another big hit like BL but I wouldn't hold your breath. She was hyped far too much if you ask me. One Direction's worldwide success, especially in the US, has far overshadowed Leona's. Who knows how long they will last, a few more albums probably. Kelly Clarkson seems to be the only reality TV show artist who has actually built herself a decent and lasting career worldwide. She lost the American Idol tag years ago and has never looked back. Will Young is also still doing well in the UK.

Scottish singer Sheena Easton launched her career off the back of the TV series The Big Time. She scored several big hits in the US (and worldwide) as well as winning a Grammy in the 1980s. Much like Leona, Sheena's major success didn't last either.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beatles Love Me Do was probably more iconic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood, 'Relax'.
  • Options
    Andy18Andy18 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Britney the song and the video r all iconic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Yes.

No other song in this thread is even close to how iconic BOTM is.
  • Options
    CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Lily_M wrote: »
    Nope, Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights was.

I have to also agree with this. I still remember when I heard it for the first time way back when, it seemed the whole country was talking about it (positive and negative), I don't think Britney's debut had the same nationwide impact, I think it's a good pop song btw.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't specified that it had to be a solo artist, so in that case, both Anarchy In The UK and (especially) Teenage Kicks probably eclipse Wuthering Heights in the iconic record stakes.

Britney's might just about qualify as the the most ironic (at least supposedly).
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls is equal to BOMT in terms of success and pop culture impact. From the song, the vibe, the video, the performances. 90s at their best, both of them :D (in my opinion, ofcourse).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney Houston and her debut album could be up there too.

Am surprised no one hasn't mentioned it.

Didn't it sell the same as Britney's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok let me explain.

ICONIC - I know that to different people it means many things, which is fine because everyones opinion is valid but i meant iconic as in known world wide, created a buzz, a strong popular debut that if you asked anyone they would know what you were talking about and with all do respect i dont think if you asked people if they remembered kate bushes or sex pistols debut that EVERYONE would know what you were talking about? Am i right?

But thats not to say that they werent iconic in their own way, im just being realistic, and i think even you would agree with the above?

Dont get me wrong, i love all types of music, i am a britney fan but even at the moment my phone playlist consists of the likes of ben howard, kodaline, tom odell ect i think they are all amazing and absolutely love their debuts, but when it comes to being the iconic im talking about, theyre just not.

Are you a comedy poster on here? Or maybe you're just really young?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you a comedy poster on here? Or maybe you're just really young?

what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what?

It doesnt matter.