Options

Praise for Matt Smith

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
He's always good and believable, no matter what he has to say or act.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Why do people feel the need to defend Matt Smith, he was never going to be liked by everyone. If you enjoy the show with Matt then that's more than enough.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Praising someone is not defending them. Its simply stating that you admire their work. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree, I think he's fantastic and could make anything watchable. I'm not saying that to defend him against those who dislike him (because I don't really care if some people dislike him), I say it because its nice to say something positive about someoene's good work.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Kaii - wrote: »
    Why do people feel the need to defend Matt Smith,

The OP isn't defending him, he is praising him, totally different concept...:confused:

Why do you have such a problem with people praising him, I wonder? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree with the Op here Matt Smith was born to play The Doctor, he is really superb. I never thought I could grow to love a Doctor more than Davison, who was the Doctor I grew up watching the show with, but by the end of series 5 Matt had surpassed even him for me....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    The OP isn't defending him, he is praising him, totally different concept...:confused:

Anyway, I agree with the Op here Matt Smith was born to play The Doctor, he is really superb. I never thought I could grow to love a Doctor more than Davison, who was the Doctor I grew up watching the show with, but by the end of series 5 Matt had surpassed even him for me....

The post wasn't actually aimed at the OP just this board in general.
    This comment is what i mean, a simple observation met with suspicion and smugness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Matt Smith is very popular in the role on here, therefore people on the whole have lots of nice things to say about him. I don't think there is much defensiveness about it.

I would say you are the one being defensive at this point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So it really didn't belong as a response (at the time, the only response) to the OP, did it? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    double post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt Smith is very popular in the role on here, therefore people on the whole have lots of nice things to say about him. I don't think there is much defensiveness about it.

I would say you are the one being defensive at this point.

No not defensive just new to this specific board and so far it's just a little battleground between the pro's and anti Matt Smith, most comments are bordering on hate or overblown worship.
    IMO the 5th season wasn't as good as the other four and MS as the doctor doesn't cut it, maybe season six will be better but i'm not going to waste my time arguing about it. This is why i said i you like it that should be enough
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not defensive just new to this specific board and so far it's just a little battleground between the pro's and anti Matt Smithi

Since there are very few antis, i have no idea what you are talking about. I would say well over 90% of this forum would rate Smith fairly highly.

Just because you didn't care for Smith, doesn't mean there is a battleground of opinion over him. Sorry to disappoint. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Since there are very few antis, i have no idea what you are talking about. I would say well over 90% of this forum would rate Smith fairly highly.

Just because you didn't care for Smith, doesn't mean there is a battleground of opinion over him. Sorry to disappoint. ;)

There obviously is since there is already a couple of threads bitching about him and season 5, not to mention a couple of strange xmas episode threads.
    If you're a moderator Muttley please let me know otherwise let the mods police the board
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There obviously is since there is already a couple of threads bitching about him and season 5, not to mention a couple of strange xmas episode threads.
    If you're a moderator Muttley please let me know otherwise let the mods police the board

First of all, there are no current threads "bitching" about Smith. The only person who has done so of late is you actually.

Second, there is a thread where people with a range of views are discussing series 5, but if you read the thread almost all the posters there in say that Smith is good in the role.

Thirdly, nowhere have I tried to "mod" this thread.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

I agree. Smith is probably the least contentious aspect of Dr Who since it was relaunched!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Smith is probably the least contentious aspect of Dr Who since it was relaunched!

Yes certainly, as i said, series 5, like all past series has provoked a range of viewpoints from people, but one thing almost everyone agrees with is that Smith has gotten off to a very strong start indeed. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad that we have been privileged to see Matt Smiths version of the Doctor, I think he has pulled the role off extremely well, and his Doctor is very enjoyable to watch.

For me the 11th Doctor is right up there with the 10th and 4th Doctors when it comes to my favourites. He really was born for the role, and although he clearly wasn't a 'fan' to start with, he comes across as one now and seems to have taken the Doctor to heart. Bravo.

Personaly the only thing that could improve my enjoyment of the 11th Doctor would be to pair him with a 'best friend' style companion, similar to the 4th Doctor and Romana II, the 10th Doctor and Donna or the 2nd Doctor and Jamie. Having said that I do love Rory and Amy, both are brilliant characters and I have come to think of them as the Teegan and Turlough of modern Who.

As for which series is best, well they are all fantastic. Series 5 really is an excellent continuation of the previous four, and whilst its execution is slightly different, in all honesty it was never going to alter the format or style too much. Steven Moffat took over the show when it was in great shape, and he has taken it from strength to strength. Long may it continue.

Perhaps instead of bitching about the shows content or the actors, people should appreciate what we have got and accept that not everybody is going to share your exact point of view. Slagging off any aspect of the show in such a negative way is simply playing into the hands of those people that would love to see the show axed.

I would suggest that true fans should loudly praise the show when they feel it deserves praise, provide constructive feedback when they feel improvements could be made and keep quiet if they can't post in a constructive manner.
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you consider who Matt Smith had to follow in the role, his achievement in establishing himself so quickly stands out all the clearer. He is one hell of an actor. I wonder what he will go on to do when he finally flits the Tardis - which hopefully won't be for a long time yet.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    He's my favourite Doctor. *runs away*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paparazzo wrote: »

MIne too, no need to runaway, you have good taste...:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*drags you back*

Mine too :)
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    When you consider who Matt Smith had to follow in the role, his achievement in establishing himself so quickly stands out all the clearer. He is one hell of an actor. I wonder what he will go on to do when he finally flits the Tardis - which hopefully won't be for a long time yet.

He followed a goofy, gurning, ham. Quite frankly Rick James would have been an improvement.

Matt Smith is simply exceptional in the role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MIne too, no need to runaway, you have good taste...:)

Mine too! :)
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    He followed a goofy, gurning, ham. Quite frankly Rick James would have been an improvement.

Matt Smith is simply exceptional in the role.

I agree with your second statement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with your second statement.

Yeah i did like Tennant myself, in series 3 and 4 I would go so far as to say he was excellent, but for me he took quite a long time in to series 2 to settle in the role (which contrasts with Smith who I found fit like a glove from fish custard), and during the specials year it felt for the most like he was treading water to me. He currently nestles in 6th spot in my fave Doctors list...ahead of Pertwee behind Baker (T).

I did feel we needed a change by the end of his tenure though, i must say.
  • Options
    Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I was never the biggest fan of Tennant as The Doctor; so when MS came along I was initially glad for the change. Then worried over the whole age thing. Then got over that rubbish and gave the man a chance. And finally, decided he was The Doctor less than a second after regeneration!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nikki E. wrote: »
    Personally, I was never the biggest fan of Tennant as The Doctor; so when MS came along I was initially glad for the change. Then worried over the whole age thing. Then got over that rubbish and gave the man a chance. And finally, decided he was The Doctor less than a second after regeneration!:D

ditto - same opinion here.

It is nice to have an understated Doctor and stories for a change. Going over the top with big grand gestures is fine, for awhile, but gets tiring and repetitive.....

The 11th Doctor is very very much like the 2nd Doctor.........
  • Options
    Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    ditto - same opinion here.

It is nice to have an understated Doctor and stories for a change. Going over the top with big grand gestures is fine, for awhile, but gets tiring and repetitive.....

The 11th Doctor is very very much like the 2nd Doctor.........

That's probably why I like Eleven so much.